• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

A bit of a Lark, really- although it did bug me

Apart from a sustained view yesterday evening, this’s all I’ve seen of said Short-toed Lark: flypasts, as with the Red Arrows recently. I did hear it chirrup weakly (or, perhaps, it was the hurricane force wind and monsoon rain diminishing the decibels of the call) once, however, on flight.

I HATE shingle- and my knees are even more strongly agin it. Yesterday, I probably walked the equivalent of as far as Far Point, going back and fro, looking for and mostly not seeing a lark.

I carried a passenger home from the Cley area- unbeknown to me, until my arrival. The attachment shows, I believe, a shield bug which is not in my insect guides. Any IDs, please ?

Thanks, Rob. I should know this one, as we are alternatively eponymous !

Attachments

• 004psesm1.jpg
    004psesm1.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Short post as shattered.

Arrived Walsey Hills, nothing much doing and went round again later and apart from a couple of lesser whitethroats, nothing else of note.

Had lunch in the visitor centre. Spent time chatting to a lovely couple about islands, Fair isle, Foula, Orkneys etc. Spent the rest of the time seawatching. Also had another look for the Short toed lark to obtain better picture:-O - rather silly to even attempt to look for it in those winds!!!!

Too many holidaymakers about in shorts and light weight tops, they must have been freezing! I had loads of layers on and was still cold! Seawatching at Cley along with others, produced LOADS of Arctic Skuas, Bonxies, Manx Shearwaters, 1 Grey plover, 1 golden plover, an Arctic Tern, 1 Kittiwake, 3 red throated divers, good numbers of teal and common scoter, 1 guillemot sitting on sea, loads of gannets. It was beautifully sunny for most of the day, with incredible winds, but rain lashed down early evening. It was very difficult to hold the car door. I had a job to stand up in the wind (yep even me). I missed 2 Sooty Shearwaters - one Eddie M. (of course;)) picked up and Pat the other. Also a snipe was watched coming in off the sea, which I couldn't pick out either! Some good old banter and humour from Eddie to keep us entertained.

I realised it wasn't safe to drive at my normal;) speed home as the wind was rocking the car!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Short post as shattered.

Arrived Walsey Hills, nothing much doing and went round again later and apart from a couple of lesser whitethroats, nothing else of note.

Had lunch in the visitor centre. Spent time chatting to a lovely couple about islands, Fair isle, Foula, Orkneys etc. Spent the rest of the time seawatching. Also had another look for the Short toed lark to obtain better picture:-O - rather silly to even attempt to look for it in those winds!!!!

Too many holidaymakers about in shorts and light weight tops, they must have been freezing! I had loads of layers on and was still cold! Seawatching at Cley along with others, produced LOADS of Arctic Skuas, Bonxies, Manx Shearwaters, 1 Grey plover, 1 golden plover, an Arctic Tern, 3 red throated divers, good numbers of teal and common scoter, 1 guillemot sitting on sea, loads of gannets. It was beautifully sunny for most of the day, with incredible winds, but rain lashed down early evening. It was very difficult to hold the car door. I had a job to stand up in the wind (yep even me). I missed 2 Sooty Shearwaters - one Eddie M. (of course;)) picked up and Pat the other. Also a snipe was watched coming in off the sea, which I couldn't pick out either! Some good old banter and humour a from Eddie to keep us entertained.

I realised it wasn't safe to drive at my normal;) speed home as the wind was rocking the car!

although it was pretty spectacular sea and decent enough passage, was one of those days when decent stuff is passing everywhere cept in front of your eyes, at least my prediction was about right, not epic but worth a look, just reconnecting with Skuas and the sea was enough. We just had a power cut in the hotel, the winds blowing that hard, tomorrow should produce the fireworks and not just in the afternoon ;)

the presence of the bucket and spaders largely passed me by Penny, they all looked like they had stilts on through the scope, however having had a bit of a summer sabbatical the clap-trap some of the aristocracy were coming out with certainly tickled me. I particular borish twerp continually reminded people of how rubbish the day was ' not in even a Kittiwake', 'thats why i don't even carry camera these day', 'people have lost their stalking skills' - utter twaddle - no wonder Long-tailed Skuas were giving us a wide birth - dude, if its all making you so miserable why don't you ... (shouldn't say more) :-O

Highlight on the patch during the last week was a Black-necked Grebe which I found at Sidestrand on Wednesday evening.

No sign of it there today but a Ringed Teal, which was living up to its name, was there instead.

A Balearic through on Friday morning was the best seabird over the last few days but hopefully the morning will live up to expectations.....

Simon

Attachments

• BNGrebe2.jpg
    BNGrebe2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 106
  • RTeal1.jpg
    RTeal1.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 113
Rare crows at Stiffkey today

Sorry ! Misprint: should have read “Scarecrows . . .”

The excellent series of Stiffkey Scarecrows continues this year, with proceeds donated to UNICEF. View, laugh (there’s a saucy one, with wordplay on ‘marrow’) and give.

There are dragons, too. Yes, some (not all) dragons are able to fly.

There was also the handsome Red-backed Shrike, west of Walsey, with those delicate lines on its breast. I’m afraid the photo doesn’t do it justice (Rob!): I didn't go into the crop field, but was again at a sensible distance.

Attachments

• 003psesm.jpg
    003psesm.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 063psesm.jpg
    063psesm.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 183
I actually did some specific-going-out-for-birding today. :)
Got to Hunstan cliffs for 06:20. Spent a good few hours seawatching and in 5 hours (with 45 minutes nip to Tesco for a full English - £4 well spent) recorded;

51 - Gannet
26 - Arctic Skua
6 - Great Skua
1 - probable Long Tailed Skua
3 - Kittiwake
2 - Fulmar
1 - Arctic Tern
2 - Sandwich Tern
1 - Common Swift.

Rather more quiet than I'd hoped, seeing the weather forecast. No Shearwaters or little Petrels seen. But hey, I enjoyed my time there and will be back for more soon, weather permitting.

dave....

Fun it was Stuart! Sea-watching takes me out of my comfort zone, truth be told, and today was an education. A small Skua was called as a Long-tailed whilst I was present at Cley, no doubt by one of the local experts. Many thanks to the individual who made sure we had seen it; we had, and at that distance I personally could not say whether it was an Arctic or the much hoped for Long-tailed. I do not believe this is ignorance on my part (ok, maybe a tad) but honesty. Some folk seemed happy being told what they had seen, I prefer to be 100% knowing what I have seen. Maybe this is asking too much, considering the conditions today? Still, quite a day to be out and about.
Cheers,
Jim.

edit: just looked at Lee's recent blog post: http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/2010/08/early-autumn-juvenile-skua-pitfalls.html

Now, to see one that close!

Last edited:
When I woke up this morning I could see that I had left the light on and was about to set the alarm to get up to go seawatching - the clock said 8.30am!:eek!: Obviously I hadn't set the alarm, still felt tired, so went back to sleep!

Arrived at Walsey Hills, late morning for a general look round and had fabulous views of a male bullfinch who posed perfectly on a knotted piece of wood, but not quite long enough for my camera! Sat in the back stubble field for a good half an hour waiting for a good bird to appear from the willows, but nothing apart from a female blackcap and 1 chiffchaff. Pager goes off: Red backed Shrike between Walsey Hills and Salthouse - fabulous to be in the right place at the right time again this week! Flew back to car and relocated to the other end of Walsey where the bird was initially sitting in the hedge line, roadside that leads up to the main part of Walsey Hills, whilst standing there it flew over our heads to the other side of the long hedge that runs up from the roadside which is where I think it remained the rest of the day - got another one of my distant records shots! Left here and went back to Walsey to continue looking round. Someone had found a redstart, but I couldn't see it anywhere. Saw a Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Linnets, another chiffchaff and watched Swallows twittering away sitting on a tree at the end of the bottom path.

Went to visitor centre. Wryneck up on the pager at Wareham, Waxham and a Wood Warbler at Holme NOA created silly thoughts about walking Blakeney Point to find something hot! I then drove to Coastguards and bumped into Pete S. and Richard and Eddie M. M.G on his way to North Hide called me to say a juv. Long Tailed Skua was flying towards and over the Eye Field!!! Alerted Eddie, Pete and Richard and we had splendid views of it flying right across us, but only got a picture when it was a bit too far away really! Decided to go for it - packed rucksack and set off for the Point at 5.30pm! I only got as far as Halfway House and sensibly decided to come back, bit of a waste of time really, only saw reed buntings, wheatears, meadow pipits, Teal going past on the sea and a single Kittiwake also The Red Arrows Display team flew past!!! Back at Coastguards I wished I had seawatched instead as missed a Pom Skua and 2 Sooty Shearwaters! I sat and had my tea, soup and bread whilst chatting to Eddie M., Simon and James M.

Back to work tomorrow:-C

Last edited:
I then drove to Coastguards and bumped into Pete S. and Richard and Eddie M. M.G on his way to North Hide called me to say a juv. Long Tailed Skua was flying towards and over the Eye Field!!! Alerted Eddie, Pete and Richard and we had splendid views of it flying right across us, but only got a picture when it was a bit too far away really! QUOTE]

Hi Penny, could you put the Skua photo on the ID thread i'd be interested to see what people say - to me the bird has a long, thin bill, sloping forehead, is round bellied not muscular chested and has an extensively white flash on the base of the primaries - the arm seems broader and longer than the hand, pushing it a bit this - plumage seems slightly warm-toned - for me its an Arctic.

Fun it was Stuart! Sea-watching takes me out of my comfort zone, truth be told, and today was an education. A small Skua was called as a Long-tailed whilst I was present at Cley, no doubt by one of the local experts. Many thanks to the individual who made sure we had seen it; we had, and at that distance I personally could not say whether it was an Arctic or the much hoped for Long-tailed. I do not believe this is ignorance on my part (ok, maybe a tad) but honesty. Some folk seemed happy being told what they had seen, I prefer to be 100% knowing what I have seen. Maybe this is asking too much, considering the conditions today? Still, quite a day to be out and about.
Cheers,
Jim.

edit: just looked at Lee's recent blog post: http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/2010/08/early-autumn-juvenile-skua-pitfalls.html

Now, to see one that close!

Hi Jimbob, what time did LTS pass Cley this morning, i was there 7ish to 8.30 before had to go to work, didn't see any and none were called, from experience they usually all saunter through in quite a short space of time,

did you get the the two (splendid) Poms that flew along the shingle ridge, one was spooned adult the one in front a 1st summer type, that one went over the road along inside of Point walk, on pager only one Pom reported!

In answer Stuey, yes and still am

Hi Jimbob, what time did LTS pass Cley this morning, i was there 7ish to 8.30 before had to go to work, didn't see any and none were called, from experience they usually all saunter through in quite a short space of time,

did you get the the two (splendid) Poms that flew along the shingle ridge, one was spooned adult the one in front a 1st summer type, that one went over the road along inside of Point walk, on pager only one Pom reported!

In answer Stuey, yes and still am

Sadly I missed the Poms, but these I would feel more confident calling myself. The LTS passed around 9.30 with a bunch of Bonxies. Glad some Poms were seen, I did better with this species last year, although plenty of time yet.
Last day of the holidays today, planning to grill both Happisburgh and Surlingham, no doubt some uneventful details to follow.
Cheers,
Jim.

A couple of shocks

With more than half the day spent wasting time in A Fine City, waiting for shock absorbers to be fitted, I was happy to speed northwards to the coast, after the Barred Warbler at Stiffkey. I wouldn’t have bothered, if I’d known I was just going to have flight views.

Taking the westernmost track at Warham Greens, in search of the Wryneck, I was even less lucky, with no sign. The small copse at the northern end compensated a little, with a Pied Fly.

About to grill Gramboro’, the pager alerted me to the smart Lapland Bunting pictured here. Thank you, Stevie G.

Attachments

• 008psesm.jpg
    008psesm.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 078psesm.jpg
    078psesm.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 158
Hi Penny, could you put the Skua photo on the ID thread i'd be interested to see what people say - to me the bird has a long, thin bill, sloping forehead, is round bellied not muscular chested and has an extensively white flash on the base of the primaries - the arm seems broader and longer than the hand, pushing it a bit this - plumage seems slightly warm-toned - for me its an Arctic.

Agree with you, BR - I'd not call this a Long-tailed on structure.

I then drove to Coastguards and bumped into Pete S. and Richard and Eddie M. M.G on his way to North Hide called me to say a juv. Long Tailed Skua was flying towards and over the Eye Field!!! Alerted Eddie, Pete and Richard and we had splendid views of it flying right across us, but only got a picture when it was a bit too far away really! QUOTE]

Hi Josh

Sorry could not reply earlier - first of all where were you Josh, when you saw the bird please? Or were you just looking at my picture on blog?

I suggest you discuss this with Mark G. and other Cley birders who also saw/ID'd the bird, next time you see them. I can't see the point in posting the picture on my blog onto an ID thread on here, being as my picture is Crap!!! If the picture was clear and in good light etc I don't think anyone would be questioning it in the first place and with another text and email etc I have received, I wished I hadn't bothered putting the picture on my blog!!! But there we go I have and if people which to discuss it, fine! But its a very bad shot as the bird was flying away in a white sky and doesn't show the bird in its true colours, so to speak. The bird flew with a dainty flight pattern as it came across the Eye Field, certainly didn't fly like an Arctic Skua!

Last edited:
The start of September

Although I hope it won't be the last.

As I was leaving Walsey Hills NOA this morning, having failed to locate Barry's Pied Fly, a Redstart flicked and was gone. (An appointment with the sheep shearer beckoned.)

Nice ! My first and long-awaited one of the autumn.

GW Egret ?

Last night at Stifkey Campsite a what appeared to be large Egret flew east over the track and over the Campsite it seemed to have a yellow bill but the light was fading, another birder 50 yards up the track asked me straight away if I spotted the Egret flying that way as he thought it had a Great White feel about it. He also got a look at it near Herring Gulls and said it appeared much larger than them. It is only a possible but worth looking out for on the Saltmarsh maybe.

In order to avoid planning and work related content in general, I decided to bird all day yesterday.
Snapped a Wall Brown on the cliffs, and came across a field of ugly looking juvenile Herring and Lesser Black Backed Gulls, and in amongst them were 7 Sandwich Tern! Using the gulls as a security blanket maybe?
Hobby at Surlingham Marsh was new for the patch, followed by time to pop home, grab the other half from work and enjoy the Shrike at Waxham. Wryneck had been seen, but not by us.
Cheers,
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back