• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Highland garden (1 Viewer)

I see Poms and Long Tailed Skua reported at Chanonry this morning. surprising as I have been watching that area all morning with just Arctics and Bonxies. Just goes to show what I must be missing!

Popped up to Chanonry point this afternoon and managed to spot a couple of Arctic Skuas. Pleased with that as I haven't seen any in ages. There were plenty of Terns and Gannets out there too. The Dolphins also managed to put on a show for us too :)

I then drove over to Udale bay and spotted:

Teal
Grey Heron
Knot
Redshank
Curlew
Various Gulls (common, herring, black backed)
Kittiwake
More Terns (Presumably Common Tern? Not sure of the difference between that and the Arctic Tern)
Lapwing
Osprey - unexpected! I had thought they'd all buggered off already.
Oystercatchers
Hoodie Crows
Red Breasted Merganser
Shelduck

And to top it all we had a great view of a Peregrine Falcon taking an Oystercatcher. My daughter's reaction to this was: 'Cooooooool'. Although I'm reasonably certain the Oyk was somewhat less impressed! Good views of the Peregrine plucking and decapitating its prey!

Small flock of Goldcrests and a Coal Tit about a mile along the beach, feeding in sallows. Juvenile Gannet and a late Sandwich Tern.

A pair of Red Throated Diver (unbelievably a first record? 86 species now- according to birdtrack!) were just coming out of summer plumage along with 5 Slavonian Grebes in black and white winter plumage.

We seemed to have survived the Pox and our finches numbers are boosted recently - could of course be with the addition of some winter migrants.

We regularly have over 20 Greenfinch and 25 Goldfinch on the feeders. The only other bird we have is a Robin coming to mealworms.

None of the other passerines seem interested.

- linnet feed on natural seedheads but not on the feeders
- no thrushes, but no cover for them
- Starlings don't seem interested
- No tits

Bullfinch were about one mile away in the village yesterday. Hopefully they will head my way.

Saw a flash of red this morning - first through was Squirrel but turns out that a stoat made a quick dash across the lawn!! Jumped around in the longer grass and sped off.

First Long Tailed Ducks arrived back in the last week, flocks of 30-40 moving through.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back