• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What would worlds best binoculars be? (1 Viewer)

If he is intent on finding horns on a whitetail it won't matter what magnification he chooses! ;)

Local venacular, they are called horn hunters as opposed to meat hunters. You dont hear the term antlers used very often here, you will hear it called a rack much more often than antlers. Much like playa is used here, here it means a small depression that holds water on the plains, in Mexico it means a beach.

Last edited:
Uh oh. A hunting conversation? That will likely get quelched quickly.

My thought was that since they drop every year they were antlers not horns. :)

....and for what it is worth I have used 6x and 7x bins for years in dense woods and open fields. Unless we are talking a thousand yards I have seen little practical difference.

Uh oh. A hunting conversation? That will likely get quelched quickly.

My thought was that since they drop every year they were antlers not horns. :)

....and for what it is worth I have used 6x and 7x bins for years in dense woods and open fields. Unless we are talking a thousand yards I have seen little practical difference.

They are antlers, but thats not the only terminology you hear them called. The common slang is a horn hunter, the guy who shoots bucks for the rack and does for meat. They whine to no end when they shoot a nubbin buck thinking its a doe. My only point was a blanket statement about hunters using 10X feeding their egos by a hunter in one part of the country has little to do with how other parts of the country hunt. It's a different world in south Texas, just do a search on a top drive high rack and you will see what I mean.

By the way, if you want to fit in to these places, when somebody tells you, that buck has nice horns, you can either say yes sir, it does, or you can correct them and tell them they are antlers and not horns. Chances are they already knew that and chances are they dont give a shit, and theres also a chance you may not be invited back LOL

No reason to quelch, I aint taking up for anybody. Wanna hunt, fine, dont like it, dont hunt. In south Texas they raise them like cattle anyway, some ranches known to pay $50,000 for a good bloodline buck for breeding. The life they lead is probably better than the average cow run through a slaughter house.

Last edited:
. In south Texas they raise them like cattle anyway, some ranches known to pay $50,000 for a good bloodline buck for breeding. The life they lead is probably better than the average cow run through a slaughter house.

Very interesting.
If memory serves, there are substantial deer ranches in New Zealand, the animals raised for meat and the by products sold into the Chinese medicine market.
Surprised Texas is not doing the same, although the land may not support the animal density required, so hunting becomes the more profitable alternative.
Hope that the local birders are helping the ranchers improve their habitat, it makes for a healthier ecosystem and a better deer(and bird) environment.

Meanwhile, we seem to have wandered off the topic a little :(
If there were a lightweight stabilized glass, everyone involved here could be happy evaluating horns/antlers at 200 yards or more equipped with the magnification they prefer.

Last edited:
Very interesting.
If memory serves, there are substantial deer ranches in New Zealand, the animals raised for meat and the by products sold into the Chinese medicine market.
Surprised Texas is not doing the same, although the land may not support the animal density required, so hunting becomes the more profitable alternative.
Hope that the local birders are helping the ranchers improve their habitat, it makes for a healthier ecosystem and a better deer(and bird) environment.

Meanwhile, we seem to have wandered off the topic a little :(
If there were a lightweight stabilized glass, everyone involved here could be happy evaluating horns/antlers at 200 yards or more equipped with the magnification they prefer.

Illegal in Texas as it's considered a game animal, can be sold for breeding purposes but not meat, at least not out right. Texas white tail population in 4 or 5 counties has probably a higher density than anywhere else in the US. They are like pigeons, and they are not very big on average. But the ranch owners do work on a healthy ecosystem, I know ranches that will shut down hunting for 5 years to implement new practices to increase the health of the herd. They are treated a lot like prize cattle with the difference being they come to their end by hunters bullet instead of a hammer in the head in a dirty squeeze chute.

Back to the topic, I do believe stabilized would gather lots of users, you just dont see many in the stores

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back