• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagles (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

I'm looking to photograph golden eagles and have read that the best places to do this in Scotland might be Mull and Skye.

If anyone could please tell me what are the best specific locations and how likely is it that I may see some (or how long I might need to stake out a location) I would be incredibly grateful.

Additionally if any photographers know which lens would be best for this (in regard to the distance from subject) I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Without wishing to rain on your parade. I doubt that anyone will be providing exact locations of birds for obvious reasons. I would also forget trying to photograph wild Golden Eagles as you will not have a lens long enough to get a decent shot and you will likely be arrested for getting too close with the lens that you do have. Try to find a local bird of prey centre that will let you take photos of the eagles.

I would suggest that you study the Wildlife and Countryside Act, with special reference to Schedule 1 Bird and the protection given to them, the offences applicable to disturbing them and the penalties that can be inflicted by the courts.

Alternatively if you wish to photograph birds of prey then look to buzzards, red kites or barn owls...

Such Information Is not to be given for general release,I'm afraid but rightly so.They are a very sensitive species and photographing them away from nesting ranges,would only allow very distant shots.

I believe the Lake District bird may be your best opportunity.

As per earlier posts I cant give you specific sites but can also recommend Mull as a good place to see Goldies. There are 4 or 5 good Tour Operators who will take you out for the day and almost certainly find you birds at appropriate distances but photo opportunity is pure luck and a bonus if one flies over etc. As already mentioned, take a look at the Wildlife Act and Protection related to these birds before you go too.....

I would certainly advise going out with one of the established guides on Mull, as it can be a pretty sensitive area in the breeding season, to avoid any risk of accidental disturbance of nesting sites.

Going back to the original question there may be a way, but it will cost and there is a long waiting list.

Have a look at Glen Tanner estates on deeside. They had a hide last year.

Ian

Go to Haweswater in the south of the lake District (leave the M6 at Shap). Follow a maze of roads and along the east side of the lake and park in the dead end. Follow the path around the south shore and you will eventually come to the RSPB watchpoint.

The point is manned through the summer at a weekend and you can usually see the single Golden Eagle from here, though views are distant, and usually its perched on the hillside rocks.

You're more or less guaranteed seeing the eagle at Haweswater, whereas in Scotland its a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

I met a Golden Eagle face to face, it was tame! A guy used to do a bird show at Pitlochry and took up a 2 year old Golden Eagle. I was "volunteered" to be the stooge of the show. The eagle flew through my raised arms, and the next trick was to have it land on my right arm. What intensity that bird had in its eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back