• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED vs Nikon Monarch 7 (1 Viewer)

absolut_beethoven

Of course I had to check these out for myself considering its low price and positive reviews. So here's my short and quick comparison for our members who don’t have easy access to the many different brands for direct A/B comparisons.

I was very curious to see just how much optical quality Zeiss offers in their newest and cheapest binocular, the 8x42 Terra ED. For perspective, I compared it to the Nikon Monarch 7 of the same magnification at Cabelas in Allen Texas this morning.

Please don’t accept the following as the last word, but hopefully you’ll find the info useful enough to see whether these binos are worth further investigation on your part.

First off, in the 5 to 10 minutes that I spent comparing them, I couldn’t see any difference in the fit, finish and ease of use between them. The focusing was very smooth and precise on both, with the Zeiss offering slightly less resistance. Zero sloppiness or sticktion on either, and both were very easy and a real pleasure to use.

Build quality is outstandingly high considering these are budget binos. Both feel solid and well built, with excellent ergonomics making them easy to use and hold. For some reason I found the placement of the focus knob on the Zeiss slightly more to my liking - probably due to my small hands. This is obviously a very personal thing and it’s just something that I noticed, but too insignificant to influence my choice one way or the other.

At this price level the main things that I check for are sharpness, clarity, brightness and ease of use. Both binos offer a very sharp, clear and bright view that is easy on the eyes, and this makes eye placement very quick and easy. I would need a lot more time and different lighting conditions in order to see which one was sharper, brighter etc. Indoors under artificial lighting they looked virtually identical to me. Panning was smooth, easy and comfortable. Both passed my requirements easily with flying colors :t:

The only major difference that stood out immediately to me was the amount of visible CA. The Nikon had virtually zero in the sweet spot, and slightly more towards the edges. IMHO I think that people who are really sensitive to CA would be very happy with them. On the other hand the Zeiss had a small to medium amount of CA in the sweet spot, this increased quite a bit towards the edges. If CA doesn’t bother you, you’d be hard pressed to justify the extra dollars for the Nikon.

The bottom line is that the Zeiss Terra ED offers outstanding value for the money, both in terms of build quality and its easy relaxed view. It’s only major weakness is its excess CA. Not a major problem IMHO considering its very low price.

The Nikon Monarch 7 is well worth the extra funds if you’re very sensitive to CA like I am. Unfortunately for Nikon, there’s a huge amount of very stiff competition at this price point, and slightly higher. However, considering all that it offers plus their outstanding warranty, it’s a very safe bet for those who don’t want to make the effort, or have the time for zillions of A/B comparisons, and want a reliable well made bino from a reputable company that will offer years of trouble free use.

In spite of the big FOV difference (419 for the Nikon vs 375 for Zeiss) the current price difference makes this a tough call. (cameralandny sale thru July 21 + $20 Zeiss mail in rebate)

Of course I had to check these out for myself considering its low price and positive reviews. So here's my short and quick comparison for our members who don’t have easy access to the many different brands for direct A/B comparisons.

I was very curious to see just how much optical quality Zeiss offers in their newest and cheapest binocular, the 8x42 Terra ED. For perspective, I compared it to the Nikon Monarch 7 of the same magnification at Cabelas in Allen Texas this morning.

Please don’t accept the following as the last word, but hopefully you’ll find the info useful enough to see whether these binos are worth further investigation on your part.

First off, in the 5 to 10 minutes that I spent comparing them, I couldn’t see any difference in the fit, finish and ease of use between them. The focusing was very smooth and precise on both, with the Zeiss offering slightly less resistance. Zero sloppiness or sticktion on either, and both were very easy and a real pleasure to use.

Build quality is outstandingly high considering these are budget binos. Both feel solid and well built, with excellent ergonomics making them easy to use and hold. For some reason I found the placement of the focus knob on the Zeiss slightly more to my liking - probably due to my small hands. This is obviously a very personal thing and it’s just something that I noticed, but too insignificant to influence my choice one way or the other.

At this price level the main things that I check for are sharpness, clarity, brightness and ease of use. Both binos offer a very sharp, clear and bright view that is easy on the eyes, and this makes eye placement very quick and easy. I would need a lot more time and different lighting conditions in order to see which one was sharper, brighter etc. Indoors under artificial lighting they looked virtually identical to me. Panning was smooth, easy and comfortable. Both passed my requirements easily with flying colors :t:

The only major difference that stood out immediately to me was the amount of visible CA. The Nikon had virtually zero in the sweet spot, and slightly more towards the edges. IMHO I think that people who are really sensitive to CA would be very happy with them. On the other hand the Zeiss had a small to medium amount of CA in the sweet spot, this increased quite a bit towards the edges. If CA doesn’t bother you, you’d be hard pressed to justify the extra dollars for the Nikon.

The bottom line is that the Zeiss Terra ED offers outstanding value for the money, both in terms of build quality and its easy relaxed view. It’s only major weakness is its excess CA. Not a major problem IMHO considering its very low price.

The Nikon Monarch 7 is well worth the extra funds if you’re very sensitive to CA like I am. Unfortunately for Nikon, there’s a huge amount of very stiff competition at this price point, and slightly higher. However, considering all that it offers plus their outstanding warranty, it’s a very safe bet for those who don’t want to make the effort, or have the time for zillions of A/B comparisons, and want a reliable well made bino from a reputable company that will offer years of trouble free use.

what about sweet spot and the edges?

I can't tell you about the Monarch 7 but the Terra ED 8 x 42 which I have owned for 6 weeks has a very generous sweet spot tapering off very gently to a narrow portion at the edges which are described as having some astigmatism. I can make this same statement about my Zeiss 7x 42 Victory FL.

From what I have read the Terra ED is typical with all of the Zeiss binoculars in this respect.

Bob

Last edited:

At this price point, I try not to nitpick too much due to the fact that I'm more critical of poor optics than most because as a watchmaker I use loupes and microscopes every day, so I see most aberrations quite easily.

As I mentioned above, an easy relaxed view that's reasonably sharp, clear and bright will satisfy most users. Having said that though, I agree with Bob in his post above that both the Zeiss Terra ED and the Nikon Monarch 7 have a fairly large sweet spot - in the 60% to 70% range - that blurs gradually towards the edges.

I didn't do any critical A/B comparisons to see which one had the larger sweet spot, or was sharper at the edges, but I did note that with both binos I could still easily read medium sized store signs at the edge of the viewing field that were a about 200 feet away, even although they were obviously not tack sharp like the center field. IMHO that's more than sharp enough to notice anything of interest moving into your field of view.

Having owned a Nikon Edge 8x32, sharp to the extreme edge is seductive, but it's tiring to view anything under those circumstances for more than a a few moments. Most people will automatically center anything that catches their attention in order to study it more critically.

As many of our members have already noted, the Zeiss Terra ED offers a very nice view, solid build quality and excellent ergonomics all for a very reasonable price. Equally as important, their QC seems to be consistently high considering that this is their cheapest bino.

Absolut - thanks for taking the time to evaluate and post your impressions.

I think a reasonable arguement can be mounted though, that the Zeiss Terra ED's main competitor is the Nikon Monarch 5 (ED), and not the 7 - particularly after your comments about CA. The reality is that they seem to lob somewhere in the middle ..... no accident, I am certain.

Nikon Monarch 5 (ED) 8x42 $297 http://www.adorama.com/NK842M5N.html
Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 $330 http://www.adorama.com/ZS842TED.html

and, Nikon Monarch 5 (ED) 10x42 $327 http://www.adorama.com/NK1042M5N.html
Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 $380 http://www.adorama.com/ZS1042TED.html

I think more natural competitors for the Nikon Monarch 7 are the: Zen-Ray ED3, Celestron Granite ED, and Vortex Talon HD /Eagle Optics Ranger ED twins, although no doubt Zeiss hopes to pinch sales from all five. Whether that happens to any great extent is doubtful .... though the Terra ED's may add an element of pricing pressure to which the five+ competitors will have to respond.

Zen-Ray ED3 8x42 $415 http://www.adorama.com/ZRED3843.html
Celestron Granite ED 8x42 $440 http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/celestron/celestron-granite-8x42-binocular
Vortex Talon HD 8x42 $470 http://www.adorama.com/VORTHD842.html
Eagle Optics Ranger ED 8x42 $470 http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/ranger-ed-8x42-binocular
Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 $477 http://www.adorama.com/NK842M7.html

and, Zen-Ray ED3 10x42 $440 http://www.adorama.com/ZRED31043.html
Celestron Granite ED 10x42 $450 http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/celestron/celestron-granite-10x42-binocular
Vortex Talon HD 10x42 $480 http://www.adorama.com/VORTHD1042.html
Eagle Optics Ranger ED 10x42 $480 http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/ranger-ed-10x42-binocular
Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 $497 http://www.adorama.com/NK1042M7.html

As you can see from the specs, there is some slight variation, and each brand-model will have its own strengths and weaknesses, but by and large they are the same class of animal ...... cue Zeiss into the wild ..... personally I'm not a fan of this move strategically, but I hope they take off like a scalded :cat: and force the market down by (up to more than ;)) $100 or so, and bring on a new generation of better offerings (and that includes Zeiss). :eat:

Chosun :gh:

Not mentioned [here] is the alpha-level glare and stray light control of the Terra - certainly one of its' strongest features - for me, at least.

At this price point, I try not to nitpick too much due to the fact that I'm more critical of poor optics than most because as a watchmaker I use loupes and microscopes every day, so I see most aberrations quite easily.

As I mentioned above, an easy relaxed view that's reasonably sharp, clear and bright will satisfy most users. Having said that though, I agree with Bob in his post above that both the Zeiss Terra ED and the Nikon Monarch 7 have a fairly large sweet spot - in the 60% to 70% range - that blurs gradually towards the edges.

I didn't do any critical A/B comparisons to see which one had the larger sweet spot, or was sharper at the edges, but I did note that with both binos I could still easily read medium sized store signs at the edge of the viewing field that were a about 200 feet away, even although they were obviously not tack sharp like the center field. IMHO that's more than sharp enough to notice anything of interest moving into your field of view.

Having owned a Nikon Edge 8x32, sharp to the extreme edge is seductive, but it's tiring to view anything under those circumstances for more than a a few moments. Most people will automatically center anything that catches their attention in order to study it more critically.

As many of our members have already noted, the Zeiss Terra ED offers a very nice view, solid build quality and excellent ergonomics all for a very reasonable price. Equally as important, their QC seems to be consistently high considering that this is their cheapest bino.

It is right up there with the best of them.:t:

Beethoven,Ceasar thanks for your personal experiences with these two intresting bins.If they have the same sweet spot i prefer the nikon.Bigger fov and much ligher. Really whats exactly the weight off monarch 7 and terra 8x42 in the kitchen scales?I cant try them but may be i can order one via one frΙed in USA. sory for my ''english''

Last edited:
I had to bring this thread back because I just today did a little comparing with the 8x42 Terra and Monarch 7. I was able to look at a Swaro resolution chart in the store and then go outside with both and look out along the Snake River Canyon. Now, I only paid $240 for my Terras as I bought them from another BFer and I used the store Terras rather than my own in this comparison.

The short of it was that I liked the Monarchs better. I found them sharper and brighter but marginally. In the store, the Terras had an ever so slight yellow cast in looking at the white resolution chart. The ergos of both were about equal but the store Terras had some slop in the focuser which mine do not.

Outside, it was closer but I thought the Monarchs were better there too. CA, for me, was pretty insignificant but I thought the Terras had better correction there.

The thing is, it's an unfair comparison as they aren't competing at the same price point. The MAP price on the Terras is $349 and the Monarch 7's has been $479 but with the current promotion puts them in the same price league.

Will I sell the Terras to get the Monarchs? I don't think so. Would I have bought the Zeiss new instead of the Monarchs at their current sale price of $379? No, I would have bought the Monarchs.

I solved my dilemma buy adding the M7 10x42's to my little collection. Bought them as much for astronomy as anything else and I like them a lot so far.

Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 and Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 have both an attractive price tag, and around the same price, so it would be interesting to compare them. Anyone with experience of these two bins?

Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 and Nikon Monarch 7 8 x 30; Monarch build quality

Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 and Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 have both an attractive price tag, and around the same price, so it would be interesting to compare them. Anyone with experience of these two bins?

Swedpat, these are exactly the bins I've been comparing as well. I'd really appreciate any feedback comparing them. My primary hesitation with the Nikon is that a professional bird researcher I know with many years of experience said he found Monarchs tend to fall apart after a few years. I've never heard this from anyone else. Of course he himself has probably only handled a few Monarchs but is in the company of many birders using a lot of different binos, and everyone has their biases.

What's Nikon's warranty and product support like on the Monarch 7 line, compared with the Zeiss Terra ED warranty?

The details of the USA Zeiss and Nikon warranty coverage has been posted to your other thread asking this information on the alphas. The Zeiss No Fault applies to the Victory and HD models. Nikon and Zeiss offer lifetime warranties so you should be good with both. The Nikon appears to apply just to the original purchaser.

Here is your thread discussing the warranty details.....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=304412

Both brands look well built to me. I have a Terra 8X42 and am very happy with it. The optics are very good. The focus speed is fast which is great for close in but more sensitive out near infinity.

Here is Bob's thread reviewing the Terra. it contains a lot of great information on the Terra from Bob and others.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=258748

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back