• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

Surely it would be difficult to even define such an overlap zone and it would make comparable Big Years almost impossible if everyone could just choose their own definition.

Wallacea is such a zone in Asia and it must be far easier to identify than a sharply defined area? This is my point, the line gets moved and moved to a point that Eastern birds are commoner and easier to tick.

I don't really care what they do with the WP from a listing perspective but every time the boundary gets set further East, the birds become less representative of the true WP.

A

Last edited:
Where would you draw the boundaries of the transitional area?

How was it done with the Wallacean line? Wallace identified an area where Asian species still occur but Australasian species would start to be more apparent.

We don't abruptly get from Western to Eastern Palearctic species, it's gradual and the further we push the boundary, the less truly WP it becomes?

If anyone ever does a big year in Asia, expect boundaries to get questioned and changed.

A

Last edited:
Apart from Grey-cheeked Thrush in Ireland, Yellow-billed Cuckoo on Scilly, Eye-browed Thrush in the Netherlands and Hooded Warbler and Black-throated Green Warbler on Corvo, all seems quiet in the WP today.....

All the best

Apart from Grey-cheeked Thrush in Ireland, Yellow-billed Cuckoo on Scilly, Eye-browed Thrush in the Netherlands and Hooded Warbler and Black-throated Green Warbler on Corvo, all seems quiet in the WP today.....

All the best

Plus B&W found dead on ship at Seaforth Docks in scouseland (North West Birding FaceThing)

and a Pied Bushchat just mega'd in Italy via FaceyThings Global Rare Bird Alert group...

Last edited:
Wallacea is a relatively small area and even that is disputed and not clearcut. There are different definitions e.g. by Huxley and Meyr.
I think it is absolutely impossible to have a perfect definition of the WP or any biogeographic regions. It's not only in the Ural region and Iran that the boundaries are disputable, but in pretty much every direction one could argue in favour of expansions or reductions.
Have a look at this work, that shows how much scope there is for definitions.

I believe it was the right decision for them to choose the extant definition as this makes it possible to compare their results with other WP birders.

And even if we all agreed that they should've used a different definition I heavily doubt they would now change anything on their approach ;)

It's not only in the Ural region and Iran that the boundaries are disputable, but in pretty much every direction one could argue in favour of expansions or reductions.

In south-east Iran, though not further north, there is a fairly clear cut line where the boundary lies.

Wallacea is a relatively small area and even that is disputed and not clearcut. There are different definitions e.g. by Huxley and Meyr.
I think it is absolutely impossible to have a perfect definition of the WP or any biogeographic regions. It's not only in the Ural region and Iran that the boundaries are disputable, but in pretty much every direction one could argue in favour of expansions or reductions.
Have a look at this work, that shows how much scope there is for definitions.

I believe it was the right decision for them to choose the extant definition as this makes it possible to compare their results with other WP birders.

And even if we all agreed that they should've used a different definition I heavily doubt they would now change anything on their approach ;)

Agree with all,
maybe someone should just do a Europe only big year?

A

5th - Agnes (controversial for some), St Kilda & this is the 3rd for Corvo. I think.

All the best

Controversial for me certainly as I was on the island at the time and the story that was later published didn't exactly accord with my recollection. The finders were certainly cagey about it and not at all forthcoming! Had they been so myself and my fellow birders might have had a chance to see the bird!

Agree with all,
maybe someone should just do a Europe only big year?

A

Even then, there are a few questionable areas, such as:

-Azores: Corvo and Terceira on American continental plate
-Small Italian islands of Pantellaria, Linosa and Lampedusa (all closer to Tunisia than Italy)
-Caucasus: Including or excluding Georgia and north-east Azerbaijan?

Since Europe is more a political entity than geographical:

-Azores: Corvo and Terceira on American continental plate - included, part of Portugal
-Small Italian islands of Pantellaria, Linosa and Lampedusa (all closer to Tunisia than Italy) - included, part of Italy
-Caucasus: Including or excluding Georgia and north-east Azerbaijan? - excluded; the trad boundary is along the Caucasus crest, i.e., the southern border of Russia here. What one does about recent Russian conquests in Abkhazia, I don't know.

The other technical question, does one include France Outre-mer as part of Europe . . . after all, they use the Euro, and send MEPs the EU parliament . . . get Kagu and Kerguelen Tern on that European yearlist 3:) :eek!:

-Azores: Corvo and Terceira on American continental plate

The Azores lie on the North American plate and so does the North American Continent and the western half of Iceland.

I guess we should not mix plate tectonics and biogeographical concepts. Otherwise Greenland and Cuba would be in the same region, because they are located on the same tectonic plate.

The other technical question, does one include France Outre-mer as part of Europe . . . after all, they use the Euro, and send MEPs the EU parliament . . . get Kagu and Kerguelen Tern on that European yearlist 3:) :eek!:

Will Great Britain then be part of Europe after the Brexit?

Sorry I couldn't resist:-O

As I wrote in this forum some time ago the eastern boundary of the WP is rather political and not quite good based on the range of species. For example in Russia are the Urals no such biogeographical border and the WP boundary should be far more east at the river Jennisey in central Siberia from that point of view.

And of course the change is rather gradually...

Personally i agree with you. And i also think that most of Central Asia should be in the WP too, the Kazakhstan steppes at least. Was chatting about this recently with a WP listing friend. Needless to say he didn't agree, but then i listed the breeding species of the steppe...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back