• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rutland Water Aug 17 - 3rd time lucky (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

I think both ducks are mallards but from the lack of evidence in the average quality photo of the bird in the tree, I have exhausted my searches. Thank you for any help

Attachments

• DSCF3127.jpg
    DSCF3127.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF3178.jpg
    DSCF3178.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF3175.jpg
    DSCF3175.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF3149.jpg
    DSCF3149.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 75
Or you could invest in binoculars and a bird book and learn to ID these common birds yourself?

A

I don't normally respond to this sort of comment but I think it would be a terrible shame if we put off someone new to birding. I'm guessing that most of us on here started off having the "easy" birds identified for us by friends or relatives (my dad in my case) then at some point decided it was so rewarding that we should get a decent bird book and ID them for ourselves. The OP even stated that they had given up their searches so they are making an effort. We all start somewhere and encouraging beginners can only be a good thing.
Having said that, bird books are great things to own. If you're in the UK and only own one bird book I would think everyone would agree that the Collins Bird Guide (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bird-Guide-Lars-Svensson/dp/0007268149) is the one to have though I would love to find out that there's an even better one!

Michael

I don't normally respond to this sort of comment but I think it would be a terrible shame if we put off someone new to birding. I'm guessing that most of us on here started off having the "easy" birds identified for us by friends or relatives (my dad in my case) then at some point decided it was so rewarding that we should get a decent bird book and ID them for ourselves. The OP even stated that they had given up their searches so they are making an effort. We all start somewhere and encouraging beginners can only be a good thing.
Having said that, bird books are great things to own. If you're in the UK and only own one bird book I would think everyone would agree that the Collins Bird Guide (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bird-Guide-Lars-Svensson/dp/0007268149) is the one to have though I would love to find out that there's an even better one!

Michael

My point was that Mike seems to be a photographer, the Chaffinch would have been identifiable in binoculars with some ease. If the emphasis is on getting a photo to the detriment of getting an identification then you are a more a photographer rather than a birder.

Can I ask Mike if he actually takes bins out with him, I get the impression that he may be doesn't?

I don't mean to sound unfriendly, I'll help anyone if they seem to be at least trying for themselves and Mike has been posting his pics for some time now but seems to be making slow progress in learning the common birds, no book and no bins will be the cause of that if true.

A

Last edited:
My point was that Mike seems to be a photographer, the Chaffinch would have been identifiable in binoculars with some ease. If the emphasis is on getting a photo to the detriment of getting an identification then you are a more a photographer rather than a birder.

Can I ask Mike if he actually takes bins out with him, I get the impression that he may be doesn't?

I don't mean to sound unfriendly, I'll help anyone if they seem to be at least trying for themselves and Mike has been posting his pics for some time now but seems to be making slow progress in learning the common birds, no book and no bins will be the cause of that if true.

A
Thanks guys for your interest. The photos I am putting on are ones I took up to September this year. I do now have binoculars and The Collins guide so any new trips I can view before I take a pictur, meaning identification is easier. These old ones are too late for that. I would also say that some birds can manifest themselves in 100s of ways so I do my best and do research. Once I have cleared my old photos, probably a few more weeks only, I will lodge a lot less.

Thanks guys for your interest. The photos I am putting on are ones I took up to September this year. I do now have binoculars and The Collins guide so any new trips I can view before I take a pictur, meaning identification is easier. These old ones are too late for that. I would also say that some birds can manifest themselves in 100s of ways so I do my best and do research. Once I have cleared my old photos, probably a few more weeks only, I will lodge a lot less.

Just get out as much as you can Mike and learn the common stuff, it will come with experience.

Concentrate on learning to ID stuff with bins and then you'll know what you're photographing most of the time before you get the shots.

There's always going to be tricky stuff for begginers, female, juveniles, waders and Gulls which are an issue for many with more experience than you and the forum will always be here to help with those.

Taking pictures and asking others to ID them for you isn't a good way to learn but now you're up and running, enjoy.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back