• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[Switzerland] Yellow-legged Gull vs Lesser Black-backed Gull (1 Viewer)

rafnuss

Seemed a bit smaller than the other YLGU and the head more dark. Tail also darker...
What do you look at to ID this one?

Thanks

Attachments

• RN5_3322-3.jpg
    RN5_3322-3.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 69
  • RN5_3323-3.jpg
    RN5_3323-3.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 70
I'm answering mainly to put this threat up for Lou to find it. I'm never completely confident when it comes to ID immature gulls but IMO this can't be a LBBG just because the bill is too strong. The inner primaries seem all dark but I think it's OK for YLG - a rather dark one though?

I'm answering mainly to put this threat up for Lou to find it. I'm never completely confident when it comes to ID immature gulls but IMO this can't be a LBBG just because the bill is too strong. The inner primaries seem all dark but I think it's OK for YLG - a rather dark one though?

Agree with the above. Also the greater covert bar isn't so well-developed as most darker 1cy LBBGs and the extensively replaced median and lesser coverts surely favour YLG over LBBG.

Last edited:
Thank you both for you help,
Just to make sure I understand, can you confirm, developed means replaced by new or old feather?
Is my drawing correct?

To be honest, I really don't see the difference with such a bird: http://www.gull-research.org/lbbg1cy/1cyoct021.html
How are they more or less developed?

Thanks again for helping me!

Attachments

• RN5_3322-3.jpg
    RN5_3322-3.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 50
hi,

roland and steve are right, this is a 1cy YLG, the well marked head has been achieved during postjuvenile moult, now being much darker than by the end of august, beginning of september. the strong bill, venetian blind pattern (dark-pale inner hand) with paler inner webs than in LBBG, but especially the large amount of replaced (moulted, 2nd gen.) lesser coverts makes it a YLG. the inner GC you have marked as "developed" are still juvenile btw., they just are more patterned than the outers.

cheers

Hello,
Thanks for the more detail explanation.
I still struggle to see correctly which LC are new one...
Thanks!

Hope this helps ;)

Re the greater covert-bar: by 'developed' I meant well-marked though IMO the intensity can change with viewing angle. It's often (on average) more obvious on LBBGs but you are correct in that many YLG have very similarly marked 'bar' there so perhaps a less useful feature than moult stage, hence please ignore my reference to it :smoke:

Attachments

• RN5_3322-3.jpg
    RN5_3322-3.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back