• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where's best in Lake District? (1 Viewer)

Thanks mono and Stephen, that's very helpful. I've been asking around and someone has recommended Walney Island. They didn't know what it's like in August, but I'm probably going there first, instead of Blackpool (as I've been Blackpool before). Thanks again for the help!

Presumably the snow goose that's been mentioned on this thread is an escape, or is it considered to be a wild one that's got lost and never attempted to return to [Canada?]? Or does it disappear for the summer, as you would expect it to? I would be interested to know the status of this bird, if anyone could let me know. Thanks.

Walney is a good place to go, with nature reserves at each end. It is a bit out of the way but I expect you know that.

There is a book 'The Natural History of Walney Island' which is worth a look if you can get a copy from the library.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Walney is a good place to go, with nature reserves at each end. It is a bit out of the way but I expect you know that.

There is a book 'The Natural History of Walney Island' which is worth a look if you can get a copy from the library.

Stephen.

I've been trying to research Walney Island on tinternet, but I'm a little confused. There are the North and South reserves, and it seems that the South is further away, but better. Is that right? I'm told you can walk among the nesting birds in the South reserve, which sounds cool. My other question is that it seems the South reserve is only open 10-5 in the summer. I wanted to go earlier than 10am, so is it the facilities that open then? Can I still go birding before the reserve 'opens'?

Cheers.

Walking among nesting Eiders may be cool, walking among nesting LBBGs and Herring Gulls perhaps not.

The reserve doesn't open until 10, but there are places on the way down to the reserve you could stop and look. North Walney is always open.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Walking among nesting Eiders may be cool, walking among nesting LBBGs and Herring Gulls perhaps not.

The reserve doesn't open until 10, but there are places on the way down to the reserve you could stop and look. North Walney is always open.

Stephen.

Haha! Good point, well made.

2520years said:
I've been trying to research Walney Island on tinternet, but I'm a little confused. There are the North and South reserves, and it seems that the South is further away, but better. Is that right? I'm told you can walk among the nesting birds in the South reserve, which sounds cool. My other question is that it seems the South reserve is only open 10-5 in the summer. I wanted to go earlier than 10am, so is it the facilities that open then? Can I still go birding before the reserve 'opens'?

Cheers.

Hi,
Walney isn't very big so you don't need to worry about the distance. Sorry can't help with the opening times.

It might be worth stopping off at Levens Park (next to Levens hall) on the way there or back. We popped in a couple of months ago and in a short walk saw (a few hundred yards from the road) on the south side of the river dipper, kingfisher, sand martin, swallow, buzzard, grey wagtail and heron plus various tits. Evidently they have lesser spotted woodpecker, we heard something but didn't get views. There is also a cafe across the road which we didn't visit. It's a short and pleasant diversion if you have time to kill and don't want to go too far off route.

if the technology works this should link to the location and the arrow roughly marks the parking spot.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=349625&Y=485250&A=Y&Z=4

All the best,
Richard

Cheers Richard

That's a possibility. I've never seen an L S Woodpecker or a Kingfisher so that would be good. I've been told (below) South Walney doesn't open until 10am, so I might have to leave that neck of the woods to my way home...in which case it's possible I'll be hanging round as long as possible!

Andy

2520years said:
Cheers Richard

That's a possibility. I've never seen an L S Woodpecker or a Kingfisher so that would be good. I've been told (below) South Walney doesn't open until 10am, so I might have to leave that neck of the woods to my way home...in which case it's possible I'll be hanging round as long as possible!

Andy

if you've never seen a Kingfisher try the Eric Morecambe hide nr Leighton Moss, we've only been twice but got great views both times. (I think this is the hide name, anyway it's the furthest from the car park, still only a few hundred yards). Last time there were two in and out of a nest. Evidently they sit on the fence post about 15 feet from the hide but we weren't THAT lucky.

Cheers,

Richard

My Trip to the Lakes

Well, I had a great time!

At 8am on Tuesday I was on the beach at Hodbarrow, spotting my first Curlew, Great Black-Backed Gulls and Ringed Plovers. It's a great place but the roads a bit bumpy - I'll certainly go there again anyway.
In the afternoon I went to St Bees Head, from the lighthouse end. It was hard to find and I ended up parking on a farm. Kittiwakes-a-plenty there. It was probably too late in the year, but it was a nice walk.
From there I visited Whinlatter Visitor Centre to see the video link to the Ospreys, but it was down - I wish the website had told me that before I took that particular detour.
There was just time to climb Dodd Fell before tea to see the Ospreys in the flesh. There were two fighting over a perch on a dead tree and two in the nest.
After tea just a brief trip to the hide at Bassenthwaite Lake, which was deserted as usual.

What a day! I slept like a baby that night!

Wednesday was more calming (thankfully). I went to see the Golden Eagle at Haweswater, but it didn't show. What a beautiful place though! It was so relaxing! I saw my first (Northern) Wheatear, Goldcrests and Meadow Pipits. There were also some red deer in the valley, which was a bonus.
Hest Bank was on the way home, near Morecambe. That was surprisingly good with zillions of oystercatchers, plus my first Dunlins and Bar-tailed Godwits.

All in all, I got 10 lifers (it's only my second year spotting) and now I've got >100 species for the year.

There's plenty left to do next time too, including Walney Island (north and south), Martin Mere and try again to see the Golden Eagle.

Tired but satisfied...

The best time to visit the Hodbarrow reserve is when the Terns arrive,in the late Spring,and again in the Autumn when there are lots of migrating waders.Over the Winter mths lots of Eiders, Shellducks,and Godwits.The same in the Spring.Glad you enjoyed our small village and reserve.Yes the roads are in a terrible state!!!.But the views are so spectacular,esp from the hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back