• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss warranty service -- how good? (1 Viewer)

The focus wheel and diopter on my beloved 8x32fl's seized up. I sent them to Zeiss for repair under warranty in early Nov 2010, received an acknowledgement of receipt from Zeiss dated 17th Nov and am still awaiting their return as of 10th Jan 2011.

Last edited:
I've only had one repair needed on my 3.5 year old 8x42 Victory FLs. That was for a stuck/jammed eyecup. I sent them to Zeiss in Virginia USA and had them back in less than 10 days. They have been fine ever since. Very nice experience. The repair cost me only shipping fees to Zeiss. ~ John

The focus wheel and diopter on my beloved 8x32fl's seized up. I sent them to Zeiss for repair under warranty in early Nov 2010, received an acknowledgement of receipt from Zeiss dated 17th Nov and am still awaiting their return as of 10th Jan 2011.

Well! Since I posted the above I have had a private message via Birdforum from Gary Hawkins, service engineer of Zeiss UK stating they are repaired and awaiting dispatch. Should be with back with me in next couple of days. Hurrah!

Last edited:
Well! Since I posted the above I have had a private message via Birdforum from Gary Hawkins, service engineer of Zeiss UK stating they are repaired and awaiting dispatch. Should be with back with me in next couple of days. Hurrah!

Thats good news.
Its still a long time though, and in my view not good enough.

ps, i also had a PM from Gary Hawkins, waiting for him to get back to me about the problem i had...

Last edited:
Thats good news.
Its still a long time though, and in my view not good enough.

ps, i also had a PM from Gary Hawkins, waiting for him to get back to me about the problem i had...

Agreed.

My 8x32FL's arrived back today having had 'faulty centre focus overhauled, collimation out, faulty eyecups replaced and general service/clean'.

Great to get them back. They will get a full field test tomorrow cometh the dawn!

Agreed.

My 8x32FL's arrived back today having had 'faulty centre focus overhauled, collimation out, faulty eyecups replaced and general service/clean'.

Great to get them back. They will get a full field test tomorrow cometh the dawn!

So how did you find them, have the problems been ironed out ?..

I can add a positive note here about the Zeiss repair service here in the UK. On January 10 2011 I sent my 10x42 FL's to Zeiss as I had a problem with the exit lenses (nothing to do with Zeiss quality at all - self inflicted unfortunately) and I have just been informed that my bins are on their way back to me, complete with '2 new oculars, collimation check, general service and a clean' - all under warranty.

As far as I am concerned, that's as good as a service as anyone can possibly expect - well done to Zeiss I say!!

Bins arrived safely back today, all ready to go and looking great. Unfortunately it's raining hard and blowing a gale so I'm stuck in the house and cannot give them a workout. OK I'd have liked them back quicker but as I understand it Gary Hawkins, the engineer, also attends shows up and down the country so he's not always at his bench beavering away for the likes of me who should, perhaps, show their bins a bit more respect…

My central focus on my Conquest 8x30 that I had bought second hand had somehow become stuck so sent the bins into Zeiss. They sent me an email explaining that they had recieved the bins. Within a week I had them back with both focus wheels fixed and a general service! Excellent service all under warranty.

Anyone else care to add to this thread?

Just as soon as funds allow I'm considering a Conquest 8x30..aftermarket customer care is a very imortant consideration for me!!

Matt

They fixed my 8x30's without any hassle. I also had a a pair from around 1961 that all of the coatings were cracked and moldy on so the woman told to send them and they'll take a look. When I got them back all it said was no parts needed but I',m pretty sure they cleaned them because I took a picture of the coatings for a comparison thread a while back and they were totally fuzzy but now I can see the reflection of the light bulb clearly so I'm pretty sure they cleaned them.

I was hoping they would strip of all the coatings and send the lenses through the T coating process, I would have had the only modern coated Zeiss Porros in the world!

But the service was good, no complaints from me. And the 8x30's are great.

........ at least in Europe everything from Zeiss, .... is sent to the factories in Germany ....

Definitely not like that for Switzerland. My recent repairs on a 8x42FL, including new nitrogen purging, were all done in Switzerland.

But when I inquired about a new armor on a Victory 1, I was told that would have to go to Germany.

After posting about a stiff-feeling focussing-ring on my late '70s Zeiss 8x20b bins I got a PM off Gary offering to re-lubricate them under warranty, despite me not being the first owner! :) Also mentioned about a small scratch on one of the objective lenses and he said he'd try to replace it. I'll post how it goes - will post the binoculars off to Zeiss's service department probably early next week (he's off till next Friday).

I have to say that so far that is excellent service - but of course it remains to be seen how it goes. Hope I get them back quickly as I've fallen in love with the little Zeiss and it's excellent image quality despite being probably about as old as I am!

After posting about a stiff-feeling focussing-ring on my late '70s Zeiss 8x20b bins I got a PM off Gary offering to re-lubricate them under warranty, despite me not being the first owner! :) Also mentioned about a small scratch on one of the objective lenses and he said he'd try to replace it. I'll post how it goes - will post the binoculars off to Zeiss's service department probably early next week (he's off till next Friday).

I have to say that so far that is excellent service - but of course it remains to be seen how it goes. Hope I get them back quickly as I've fallen in love with the little Zeiss and it's excellent image quality despite being probably about as old as I am!

Sam,

If Zeiss are doing extensive work on the bins they might even put in some phase-coated prisms at a small charge.

I bought some 8x20s (similar to the present Conquests) in 1989, just about the time Zeiss introduced phase-coating. About 15 years later I discovered that my pair lacked the P coating and sent them to Wetzlar for modification.
Amazingly Zeiss carried out the the modification free of charge!

John

Thanks John, I'll ask about phase-corrected prisms, don't mind a small charge! I'll be sending the binoculars off probably tomorrow, will ask on the note about the prisms :)

I own three pairs of Zeiss binoculars. Purchased a pair of FL 7x42s in December, and four months later I have massive internal fogging in one of the tubes. I'm shocked, to say the least. Thank goodness I have my 8x56 Nightowls to fall back on, even though they weigh twice as much.

Will be sending the 7x42s to the Virginia repair facility on Monday, with fingers crossed. I've got major trips abroad in a couple months, and can't afford to be without travel-friendly optics.

I lost my objective caps for my HT´s,so I e-mailed Zeiss for a price only to be told no charge.Three days later a new pair arrived in the post.Very good service thank you .....Eddy.

I just sent Zeiss a warranty request on my wifes 10x25 Victory compacts. One of the neck strap tabs on the bino has failed and the second one looks like it's on "it's way out". We'll see how Zeiss handles this. ???

cheers
JohnG

I just sent Zeiss a warranty request on my wifes 10x25 Victory compacts. One of the neck strap tabs on the bino has failed and the second one looks like it's on "it's way out". We'll see how Zeiss handles this. ???

cheers
JohnG

It shouldn't be hard to replace. It's just an ear on a ring fitted around the barrel under the eye cups. The right ring on my 8 x 20 even has a little play in it.

Bob

It shouldn't be hard to replace. It's just an ear on a ring fitted around the barrel under the eye cups. The right ring on my 8 x 20 even has a little play in it.

Bob

Yes, it looks like a ring under the eyecup assembly. I'm hoping Zeiss will either comp the parts or do the repair.

cheers
JohnG

Yes, it looks like a ring under the eyecup assembly. I'm hoping Zeiss will either comp the parts or do the repair.

cheers
JohnG

Strange that one of the lugs failed and the second one looks bad.

If the neck strap with your Zeiss is a cheap, thin shoelace ribbon like the one that came with mine you would think that it would wear out first!

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back