• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why would you buy a Zeiss HT over an SF? (1 Viewer)

This is a tricky question Dennis and I don't believe I have ever said that HT is a rung down from SF. I certainly think they have different 'flavours' and its nice that we have that choice from Zeiss. Anyone that stands up and says I like my HT better than anything has got plenty to like. I still have my HT even though I have SF and have no plans to get rid of it.

But you are correct about the price of SF being higher and I think this is because it offers more in terms of FOV, handling balance, and size of sweet spot and also speed of focus. Does this make it superior to HT? For some people yes, but you know, not everyone likes the open bridge design and prefer something more classic and HT provides this and with an excellent optical performance too.

You could say Swaros SLC is a step down from EL SV but I doubt that anyone who uses an SLC actually feels that they are using an under-performing second tier instrument, and quite right too. Same with HT.

Lee
From what it sounds like Zeiss has been making some ongoing improvements in both the HT and SF and if you were ever considering one or both in the past and found something you didn't like about them it might be worth it to take another look. The recent SF and HT I looked seemed perfect. The SF was superb and very high quality.

I can confirm that I found the HT Binoculars brighter and sharper than the SF in my opinionn. And you shouldn't run down someone's opinion because it's different to yours.
Ian.

I own both cannot say one was FAR superior than the other. Still nice to know your happy with what you got. Stay loose.
suppressor

Don't look through an SF then. You will probably trade your HT in. The SF offers more than that. It feels much lighter in the hand than the HT, it has better ergonomics, and of course the bigger FOV which is sharp to the edge. I think if you got used to an SF your HT would feel tunnel-like in comparison. Just my observation when I compared them.

For me to consider trading up to the SF, Zeiss would have to change the colour. I really don't like the grey (gray), even though I know it's got a historical link with early Zeiss bins.

For me the HT is classy, the only better looking bins are the Leicas, which are really gorgeous looking. Not for me though, the view wasn't as good as the HT in my opinion.

Sandy

A bit drastic.....

Not sure whether you are agreeing or being ironic there James :h?:

And sharing opinions is fun too:t:

Lee

No irony Lee. The take away from this forum, after many years [when trying to decide a purchase] has to be try one yourself. A hundred opinions just become noise after awhile...

I, too, do enjoy the discussions but they do not replace a personal ''eyes-on'' review. None of us look for or see the same things so it becomes a completely individual decision.

Last edited:
For me to consider trading up to the SF, Zeiss would have to change the colour. I really don't like the grey (gray), even though I know it's got a historical link with early Zeiss bins.

For me the HT is classy, the only better looking bins are the Leicas, which are really gorgeous looking. Not for me though, the view wasn't as good as the HT in my opinion.

Sandy
I didn't think I would the like grey SF's either but in person they were actually quite attractive. Maybe I am getting tired of Swaro green. I need a color change. I agree about the Leica's. They are a very attractive binocular but optic wise I prefer the Zeiss and Swaro's. The SF's to me just appeared more modern , whereas, the HT's were kind of retro classic. It depends on what you like. I like modern and the space age look. Contemporary I guess.

Admit it Dennis, you have already bought the SF's haven't you?
No, I would have a hard time giving up 8x32 SV's. They are so compact and light compared even to the 8x42 SF. But if I were to get a new binocular it would be an SF. To be honest it is the first binocular I have tried in a long time that really impressed me and that I can honestly say might be as good as a Swarovision.

Last edited:
It is weird that the 10x50 SV would be the exception. Does your 8x42 HT show better 3D than porro's? I may have missed something here. I have never noticed flat field designs to be dull, lifeless and having weak contrast. I have never noticed the Swarovski SV or the Zeiss SF line being dull, lifeless and having weak contrast. IMO they have excellent contrast and to the contrary quite bright and full of life. In fact when I tried the Zeiss 10x42 SF the excellent contrast and lifelike image is what impressed me. It was electric and very vivid. Zeiss must put some awesome coatings on those.

I can't honestly compare the view of the 8x42 HT with the various porro bins I've owned because I no longer own any porro's and haven't for several years.

I have never claimed that the flat field SV's had weak contrast. I do think the image is somewhat lifeless compared to the Leica UV HD and Zeiss HT. I have also owned the Zeiss 10x42 HT and thought it just as good optically as the 8x42 HT. Only sold them because I bought the Swaro 10x42 EL Range, I had the 10x42 SV prior to the 10x42 HT and preferred the Zeiss.

The Zeiss HT is not a lower tier binocular than the Zeiss SF. It's just a different design with more of an emphasis on light gathering. The extra expense of the SF (not a huge discrepancy in some places) is probably because the R & D costs have to be recovered. Perhaps also because of some extra glass elements in their design?

For me, flat field bins don't offer any benefit whatsoever. I find it uncomfortable looking at the edges of any binocular. Could be due to my ageing eyes - I don't know.

I'm looking at buying the new 8x32 UV HD Plus as I love the small size and high quality finish of the Leica's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't honestly compare the view of the 8x42 HT with the various porro bins I've owned because I no longer own any porro's and haven't for several years.

I have never claimed that the flat field SV's had weak contrast. I do think the image is somewhat lifeless compared to the Leica UV HD and Zeiss HT. I have also owned the Zeiss 10x42 HT and thought it just as good optically as the 8x42 HT. Only sold them because I bought the Swaro 10x42 EL Range, I had the 10x42 SV prior to the 10x42 HT and preferred the Zeiss.

The Zeiss HT is not a lower tier binocular than the Zeiss SF. It's just a different design with more of an emphasis on light gathering. Hunters need a bin with good light gathering because game often emerges from cover just before dark. The extra expense of the SF (not a huge discrepancy in some places) is probably because the R & D costs have to be recovered. Perhaps also because of some extra glass elements in their design?

For me, flat field bins don't offer any benefit whatsoever. I find it uncomfortable looking at the edges of any binocular. Could be due to my ageing eyes - I don't know.

I'm looking at buying the new 8x32 UV HD Plus as I love the small size and high quality finish of the Leica's.
The lifeless image you are talking about in the SV is probably the color saturation. Leica's are really reddish and the Zeiss is greenish. The SV is neutral. You probably associate this neutral color with a lifeless image. The SF and SV have a more complex and expensive eyepiece because of their flat field and sharp edge design. The SLC's and HT's are designed for people like you that don't care about those design features but most people associate the SV and SF as Swarovski's and Zeiss's top binocular because they are more expensive. That doesn't mean they are the binocular for you though.

No irony Lee. The take away from this forum, after many years [when trying to decide a purchase] has to be try one yourself. A hundred opinions just become noise after awhile...

I, too, do enjoy the discussions but they do not replace a personal ''eyes-on'' review. None of us look for or see the same things so it becomes a completely individual decision.

Gotcha. And absolutely agree.

Lee

The lifeless image you are talking about in the SV is probably the color saturation. Leica's are really reddish and the Zeiss is greenish. The SV is neutral. You probably associate this neutral color with a lifeless image. The SF and SV have a more complex and expensive eyepiece because of their flat field and sharp edge design. The SLC's and HT's are designed for people like you that don't care about those design features but most people associate the SV and SF as Swarovski's and Zeiss's top binocular because they are more expensive. That doesn't mean they are the binocular for you though.

I don't consider the HT to have a green bias, some say the SF has. I don't know as I have only had a quick peep at a store and haven't tried them in the field. If anything, I find the HT slightly cool, (bluish would be pushing it) and in bright sunlight can give a slightly washed out colour at times. The advantage of the HT is it's ability to see deep into the shadows. They are also razor sharp and have a certain crystal like view, for want of a better description. They're a lot more expensive than the Swaro SLC in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sako, post 95,
The Zeiss HT and the SF both do not have a green bias, that shows visually and it is fully confirmed by the shape of the transmission spectra we have measured.
Gijs van Ginkel

Sako, post 95,
The Zeiss HT and the SF both do not have a green bias, that shows visually and it is fully confirmed by the shape of the transmission spectra we have measured.
Gijs van Ginkel

You know that I know that try convincing some of the bods on here,like p*****g in the wind.
suppressor

Greens, reds, blues and neutrals?? The only thing I see when I look through my SFs are birds, beautiful sharp detailed birds of all colours ;-)
Seriously the SFs are the best bins that I've ever looked through, having owned 3 pairs of Leica in the last 20 years and Zeiss before that. A friend of mine had a look through mine in the dimming light of a gull roost proclaimed "..kin Hell" and was instantly £1600 poorer!! Which goes to show that seeing is believing.

Suppressor, post 97,
No I am not trying to convince anybody, since I may understand what happens. In Dutch we have a sort of proverb, that is phrased as: "het wordt mij groen en geel voor de ogen", which is translated as: "the world turns green and yellow before my eyes" and it describes the situation when a person experiences a lot of emotions. Well using the SF and the HT, having such exquisite qualities must bring about one in such an emotional level, that we, Dutch, often experience when we use soft drugs, which everybody uses here in Holland in combination with coffee and tea. So I inderstand perfectly well that one observes green casts when one starts to use the SF or the HT.
Gijs van Ginkel

Suppressor, post 97,
No I am not trying to convince anybody, since I may understand what happens. In Dutch we have a sort of proverb, that is phrased as: "het wordt mij groen en geel voor de ogen", which is translated as: "the world turns green and yellow before my eyes" and it describes the situation when a person experiences a lot of emotions. Well using the SF and the HT, having such exquisite qualities must bring about one in such an emotional level, that we, Dutch, often experience when we use soft drugs, which everybody uses here in Holland in combination with coffee and tea. So I inderstand perfectly well that one observes green casts when one starts to use the SF or the HT.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yes, That would explain it. The same thing happens to me when I go onto the web site called Lovely Bicycle and see all those stylish girls riding their dutch bikes.!!
suppressor

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back