• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

As always, I seem to find the best resources on my way home... But at least I found the tips here yesterday, so I saw Moltoni's warbler at Cuber and Bonelli's Eagle at Mortitx today!

Regarding the Bonelli's Eagles, I assume they are well "taken care of" when it comes to info about them, otherwise, please let me know who to contact. I have a few photos with leg rings possible to identify and some other input perhaps.

So tomorrow I'll be leaving the island, many thanks for all input here, and hi again to those of you that I have been fortunate enough to run into over the last days. :)

/Jens, the guy from Sweden

As always, I seem to find the best resources on my way home... But at least I found the tips here yesterday, so I saw Moltoni's warbler at Cuber and Bonelli's Eagle at Mortitx today!

Regarding the Bonelli's Eagles, I assume they are well "taken care of" when it comes to info about them, otherwise, please let me know who to contact. I have a few photos with leg rings possible to identify and some other input perhaps.

So tomorrow I'll be leaving the island, many thanks for all input here, and hi again to those of you that I have been fortunate enough to run into over the last days. :)

Nice to meet you today Jens. We met at Cuber Dam, thanks for the tip on the Moltoni's. Spot on. Well done also on connecting with Bonelli's eagles.

Hi Jens nice to meet you yesterday at the entrance to Boquer.

Hi Yens, if you could let me have details of the Bonelli's I would appreciate it. I can pass on the sightings to Carlota who monitors the birds throughout the Island. Thanks, Mike

Whereabouts were the Moltonis today out of interest?

Left hand side of gorge below dam, approx 150 yards along the path. Also, at the bend of the main track one very small individual, calling and out in the open on the ground which I took to be a fledgling waiting for parents to return. Left it well alone....

Back to Newcastle tomorrow after a great hol and a few opportunistic breaks for birding. Thoroughly enjoyable and will be back as soon as I can. Good to meet you Phil.

Hi Yens, if you could let me have details of the Bonelli's I would appreciate it. I can pass on the sightings to Carlota who monitors the birds throughout the Island. Thanks, Mike

Great, I'll compile some pics and info when I get back to Sweden. The weather right now seems to give time for that... I'll send it to you and you can forward, and filter and publish whatever is suitable for this page. :)

Yesterday morning visit at Sa Roca, s'Albufera, was quiet. Of note, about 30 Starlings paid a brief visit to the field next to the hide. A couple Spotted Redshanks were hiding right at the back of the marsh. Glossy Ibis on the wing, moorhen with chicks, and what I take to be a Water Pipit, see photos. I thought they would be all gone by now and I am not sure what to make of the lack of breast markings and dark crown above the supercilium. A Juvenile?

Went on to Maristany where I failed to connect with the Ruddy Shelduck.

Attachments

• WaterPipit.jpg
    WaterPipit.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 137
  • WaterPipit-2.jpg
    WaterPipit-2.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 92
Yesterday's Bonelli

So now I have sent some input regarding the Bonelli's I saw yesterday at Mortitx. Here is one of the birds that passed just over my head on my walk along the track. Thanks everyone for the great responses here!

Attachments

• bonelli1.jpg
    bonelli1.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 131
S'Albufera Nature Reserve.

Birds seen at this sight on 1st and again on 4th July 2017.

Crested Coot, Avocet, Little Tern, Collared Dove, Little Bittern, Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Squacco Heron, Grey Heron, Purple Heron, Glossy Ibis, Marbled Duck, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine Falcon, Purple Gallinule, Coot, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Kentish Plover, Common Sandpiper, Black Winged Stilt, Stone Curlew, Common Tern, Swift, Beeater x4, Hoopoe, Barn Swallow, Yellow Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Starling, Sardinian Warbler, Nightingale, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Corn Bunting and Spotted Flycatcher.

Once photos have been sorted i will post a few pics on the forum.

Thanks and happy birding, Pete.

Help with ID?

Hello again! I can't really let go of Mallorca yet, so I'll hang around with some ID-questions.

I'll start with a warbler that I found at S'Albufera about a week ago. It was sitting where the road turns sharp left over the bridge where bikes are supposed to go slow about 700 meters from the main gate.

First I thought it was a Reed Warbler, since the singing was not something I had heard during the day, from the Moustasched and Great Reed Warblers.

The size was good for Reed Warbler. But when I start analyzing the pictures it doesn't really work out for me.

The legs are way too dark, the colour is not as warm as I think of when I see a Reed Warbler, it is very "white" on the chest and the beak shape is not really perfect either.

I asked about the bird in a Swedish forum and people started thinking about Iduna instead of Acrocephalus where I was stuck. And when I look at pictures, it actually looks pretty good for Western Olivaceous Warbler! Would that be a possibility? Perhaps this is a "known" bird to you?

Thank you in advance and I will post one more strange bird in a short while :)

Attachments

• iduna1.jpg
    iduna1.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 150
Both Ruddy Shelduck were there at 9.30am,when l popped ln for 5 minutes.Also a Great crested Grebe,which may or may not be unusual.

Thanks Ben Nevis, I failed to see the Great crested Grebe too although I have seen them there before. Just to show how critical timing and patience are.

A Barn Owl flew up the road leading from the Beach to the Pollenca Park Hotel and Panorama Hotel at midnight last night.It flew low over the heads of people heading back to their Hotels and no,l had not been drinking..! Perhaps not too strange to locals but strange to me.

Hello Yens.
I think you are right, this bird must be a Western Olivaceus Warbler, Iduna opaca. Everything matches with this species, but not with anyone else.
This species is considered a rarity in the Balearic Islands, so would be great if you send pictures and details of the observation to the Local Rarities Committe ([email protected]).
Maties

Hello Yens.
I think you are right, this bird must be a Western Olivaceus Warbler, Iduna opaca. Everything matches with this species, but not with anyone else.
This species is considered a rarity in the Balearic Islands, so would be great if you send pictures and details of the observation to the Local Rarities Committe ([email protected]).
Maties

Thanks for the input. I will write a report and submit the pictures to them, describing what I saw. I have another one that beats me, I'll get back here ;-)

Hi Yens, many congratulations on finding such a rarity. I have been looking at the photos for some time and I also believe that all the features fit Western Olivaceous Warbler, the legs, bill and cold grey coloration all look good to me. A great find. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back