• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

Fieldcraft what is that?

Fieldcraft is often not displayed by the most eminent birders at a ‘twitch’; a camera (which I, too, carry), often used as license to stand substantially nearer than ‘mere’ birders.
Agreed. A photographer known to all told Lee Evans to stop telling new arrivals where the Warham Pit radde's was lest the bird be scared off.

Out of curiousity I can only think of five birds I have seen in East Norfolk (Happisburgh to Yarmouth via Hickling) and no where else in Norfolk.

Greater yellowlegs (same bird previously ticked in Suffolk)
Ring-billed Gull (better views of long-staying Suffolk and Essex birds)
Bonaparte's gull (previously ticked in Kent, why leave Norfolk for new birds!!)
plus only two not seen anywhere else
Great spotted cuckoo Cart Gap when flushed from a garden by a nameless person, not me: I was told to stand further back by the aforesaid! (I dipped the 2009? bird.)
Black lark (which many east of county birders travelled to South Stack to tick. I was not interested even though a seat was probably free in the car they used.)

Hi Dave

Sorry we didn't bump into each other. It's been a long time.

You certainly won't bump into me for a few days now as I am typing this up in Spain, in Black wheatears (Peter Jones) house. I'm here until the 22nd so hold the rarities until I get back.

John

Sorry I missed you John, I'm sorry I missed the Radde's too, a day late for that one but a fabulous long weekend it was!

Some record shots attached - Brambling, Wells, Bluetail & admirers at Burnham Dunes.

Hi Dave

Sorry we didn't bump into each other. It's been a long time.

You certainly won't bump into me for a few days now as I am typing this up in Spain, in Black wheatears (Peter Jones) house. I'm here until the 22nd so hold the rarities until I get back.

John

No promises I'm afraid. ;) I'm sure you'll make up for it in Spain, I'm there at the end of the month.

Titchwell highlight attached.

Attachments

• BT.jpg
    BT.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 107
Smart photo Dave. I'm a tad envious of that image as that is one bird I just can't get a decent image of.

Have a great time in Spain.

John

No promises I'm afraid. ;) I'm sure you'll make up for it in Spain, I'm there at the end of the month.

Titchwell highlight attached.

Nice juv. Montagu's Harrier!

Is it really that straightforward? That neck collar looks remarkably distinct, and although difficult to see, the underside of inner primaries look pale tipped to me.

Unfortunately, I don't have any literature to hand, and I'll comment more when I've had a chance to remind myself of some critical features I've probably forgotten about, but has Pallid Harrier been completely ruled out?

Edit: should clarify I was referring to post 9973 - the putative Montagu's Harrier. I should probably read the entire thread too! I just see several others have raised this possibility. I was catching up on some of the stuff that's been seen in my previous home county, and the photo jumped out at me! Evidently beaten to the mark, but glad my suspicions weren't entirely unfounded.

Last edited:
After spending hours going through photos last night and into the small hours - updating blog, adding pictures and to other sites I felt about a hundred years old this morning, so snoozed til late.

Arrived Waxham late afternoon and had awesome views of my 2nd RED FLANKED BLUETAIL this week!!!!!! Watched it from 3.45pm until I left at 5.05pm.

As others have said, sit, wait, don't talk or move;) and you will all have stupendous views and pictures. Anyone going to see it with a big lens - don't bother, even with my baby 300mm lens it was too close at times!!! I could have taken it with the iphone on several occasions!!! Magical to watch, and heard it call too! Tim Allwood also there - nice to see you Tim:t: and also the artist I met at Burnham Overy the other day 'Ben Green'. About 10 people there in all and everyone was extremely quiet. Even I hardly spoke!;) The robins were not impressed by this extra pretty robin with its blue tail and chased it about every now and again - one of them wanted to be in the photos shoot too and sat on Tim's bike at one point, but too close for my camera!

Got some cracking photos, BUT I am shattered and now going to sleep as leaving in the dark tomorrow for some more HOT BIRDING!!! Took hundreds of photos, so will go through them and add some tomorrow night.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

P.S. Thanks for all compliments on my Pallas's Shots - had several PM's and emails, very kind.

PLEASE NOTE: A fellow birder told me on the phone this evening that a group of birders had seen a Red-breasted Flycatcher at Walsey Hills this morning in the Willows at the back (end of the bottom path)!!!!!!!!

PICTURES ON BLOG FRIDAY NIGHT.

Last edited:
Report on my pager this morning is refering to a y.b.w. at Holkham. Am off though to Wells for a stroll, good luck halftoo.

Thanks for replying Pyrtle. Here's what happened:

Having birded Holkham for an hour and a half post-dawn before going back for breakfast I then saw that a YBW was on the map here - but as usual well off as to accuracy. I guessed that it would be Holkham, so, after we had packed up and left the B&B, headed over there again.

Arrived to find many birders there - the first group in a knot and training 'scopes and bins at something. Looked promising. "What have you got?" ask I. "A Curlew."
They knew nothing of the warbler - not sure they knew what I was talking about, so I headed off to find anyone with the gen.

Eventually a man who had been looking for/at the bird gave me directions & said it had last been seen, with a tit flock, heading down a distant hedge.

So, with nothing to lose I wandered down the track to the left (west).

Within ten minutes, alone, I found a Yellow-browed warbler!! I had two brief views of a very active warbler loosely associating with a tit/'crest/treecreeper flock, and whistled to the nearest birder who also got brief views. Another group of birders ignored my signs and one other joined me.

Unfortunately we lost the YBW before another birder chanced along. And that was it. (This was around midday).

Also, on the way, near Burnham Market, a Marsh harrier and a good flock of Golden plover, and an adult male Marsh harrier, and a hunting Barn owl - one of six I saw during my stay - at Holkham. The (probably same) Ring ouzel was still in hedges on the road south of our B&B at Field House Farm. (south of Brancaster) as were some Bramblings, this morning.

Am now back at home and as I write a Tawny owl is hooting a welcome.

Though I missed a few goodies (and had to ignore the re-found - or new - Great grey shrike on the way home) I had a great trip to Norfolk - my first in a few years. What a fab county.

Well I couldn't resist coming back to Waxham to get more shots of the Red flanked Bluetail but not good news! Been sitting on mud and leaves since just after 9am and it's not looking promising! No one has seen it this morning YET by 11.25am[/B] - I will remain optimistic! Few goldcrests, robins and one reed bunting and one bank vole.

More later.......

Last edited:
Birds 4-0 Birder

Today, I managed to not see Pallas's and Yellow-browed Warblers, Little Bunting and Red-throated Pipit- even though I probably heard the last.

Coupled with the 'flu jab I had yesterday and an ensuing night of sleep disturbed with aches and stomach pains, it made for a miserable, cold, wet experience I'd rather forget.

I suppose I can't grumble, really, after the last few weeks.

Today, I managed to not see Pallas's and Yellow-browed Warblers, Little Bunting and Red-throated Pipit- even though I probably heard the last.

Coupled with the 'flu jab I had yesterday and an ensuing night of sleep disturbed with aches and stomach pains, it made for a miserable, cold, wet experience I'd rather forget.

I suppose I can't grumble, really, after the last few weeks.

We've been spoilt this Autumn, John.

As for me am still counting my dodgy icterine sighting at Holkham.
The Holme harrier will remain assigned as a montagu's.

Not sure of the ID of either!

East Coast Birding

Started off at Waxham again but as I said in my post previously while on site, bird did not show - I sat there stubbornly until 12.30pm. There were a few people there this morning including one man who had travelled with a friend and had hobbled out on crutches with a broken leg - thats dedication for you!!!! I felt really sorry for him, having not seen the bird and also he was not happy about the reported 300 yards walk, which of course it was much further than that! I put some seed down for the bank vole I saw earlier so at least I could photograph that amongst the crumpled leaves, but it had also disappeared for good! Fed-up and cold I left. Along the last section of the path back to car I had a pair of Stonechats and I suddenly realised I can't remember the last time I saw Stonechat anywhere! Tried to photograph them but they didn't play ball. Cruised round the corner to go and see the reported Pallas's Warbler at Shangri La Chalet. I searched EVERYWHERE for the Pallas's but to no avail. Heard someone reporting they had seen Little Auk's offshore. Nothing in the bushes apart from tit flocks, chiffchaffs, blackbirds and redwings. Went back to car and bumped into Tim Allwood again with his very, very cute little daughter Elenor who was splashing about in the puddles in her wellingtons. Found out later that Tim had refound the Pallas's after I left!!!

Left Waxham and stopped at Walcott to photograph Turnstones on the seawall and took photos and a video of the Herring Gulls on the groynes with sea spray from the huge waves.

Trimingham

Now pouring with rain. I think I heard the reported Yellow-browed Warbler in the churchyard - what I did hear only called once and I certainly didn't see it! Crossed the main road opposite and went down a dead end road and followed a path through bushes to edge of cliffs - these bushes were full of male and female Blackcaps! along with a long tailed tit flock and a few robins.

Cliff top Wood - Walked across the ploughed field to the wood and only found a tit flock and a kestrel.

Sheringham

Diverted down to the "Leas" to have a quick scan with bins from the top road to see if there was any action on the sea. It was wickedly cold, strong winds and rain and I didn't stand here long, but couldn't see anything much happening.

Walsey Hills, Cley

By the time I got here it was 5.45pm so sensibly most birds - no in fact ALL birds had gone to bed! One robin was seen!

The House on the Hill, Blakeney

One more robin whilst I had a sandwich and remains of my tomato soup. Fell asleep for an hour in the car and got home at 8pm.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Along the last section of the path back to car I had a pair of Stonechats and I suddenly realised I can't remember the last time I saw Stonechat anywhere!
How true. I used to see Stonechats just about every time I went out but, like you, I haven't seen one for months. Have they been hit by the hard winter or have I just been in the wrong places at the wrong time?

Some splendid reports and photos from you this week Penny.:t:

Ron

Hi all,

Strumpshaw Fen RSPB Reserve is now fully open again, the path between Tower Hide and Lackford Run has been re-opened early.

Recent sightings include a Great White Egret (a late report from a photographer, with photo evidence, possibly still present in the area?) regular Bittern, Kingfisher and Bearded Tit sightings as well as daily sightings of Otters. The wing tagged Marsh Harrier (from Sheppy) is back again after an absence of 2 weeks. Duck numbers are building steadily as well as the first few White Fronts appearing at Buckenham.
The shift of seasons is very evident here too with a few early morning vis mig sessions I have had good numbers of thrushes, siskins, Redpolls and Bramblings overhead with the odd skein of pinkies thrown in for good measure.

Along the last section of the path back to car I had a pair of Stonechats and I suddenly realised I can't remember the last time I saw Stonechat anywhere!

I didn't put in my report of a Stonechat at Holme - I assumed they were fairly common in NNorfolk - but it was the only one I'd seen!

We've been spoilt this Autumn, John.

As for me am still counting my dodgy icterine sighting at Holkham.
The Holme harrier will remain assigned as a montagu's.

Not sure of the ID of either!

How does that work then? It's "dodgy", you don't know what it was, but you're counting it.

:h?:

Two Red-crested Pochards on the Little Broad at Whitlingham this morning, loosely associating with some Gadwall at the western end. A large arrival of gulls since the last time I was there, 65+ Lesser Black Backs, (at least one Yellow-legged with them) and 200+ Black-headed Gulls. Other than that mostly the usual stuff, three Kingfishers and flocks of Redwing over.

How does that work then? It's "dodgy", you don't know what it was, but you're counting it.

:h?:

Because I walked away and others claimed it, soon after, but they were probably watching a willow warbler. (Which I saw later and not 'my' bird.)

Bird I saw was like the icterine described early on that day. Not seen well enough to clinch it.

Dodgy is what some think of my record!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back