• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Northumberland Dragonfly Survey. (1 Viewer)

Gill Osborne

Just giving any interested parties a coule of weeks' notice of a talk by the Northumberland Wildlife Trust's Alnwick Group on Monday 4th April.
Indoor meeting at St Michael's Church Hall, Canongate, Alnwick. 7.00pm.

The Northumberland Dragonfly Survey by Mike Thurner.

Further details: Roger Manning 01665-510155.

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Just giving any interested parties a coule of weeks' notice of a talk by the Northumberland Wildlife Trust's Alnwick Group on Monday 4th April.
Indoor meeting at St Michael's Church Hall, Canongate, Alnwick. 7.00pm.

The Northumberland Dragonfly Survey by Mike Thurner.

Further details: Roger Manning 01665-510155.

GILL

Thanks for the tip Gill, I'll try and make it, I have chatted to Mike several times over the phone during the last two years or more. Maybe we'll get to meet if you are going.

Harry.

Yes, I'll be there....I know bu**er all about id'ing dragonflies but I find them really interesting.
I went to stay with my friend Melanie in July 1992 when she lived in Kent and the dragonflies there!!! They looked HUGE!!! And I always remember seeing Banded Demoiselles (think I have the name right?)....sure I read in a magazine a few weeks ago that they are now found along the River Wansbeck...I've got that pencilled into my diary to go and look for them!
And as my dear hubby is, as far as I know, on night shift next week and my car is back on the road I'm looking forward to getting out and about to a few meetings again.

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Yes, I'll be there....I know bu**er all about id'ing dragonflies but I find them really interesting.
I went to stay with my friend Melanie in July 1992 when she lived in Kent and the dragonflies there!!! They looked HUGE!!! And I always remember seeing Banded Demoiselles (think I have the name right?)....sure I read in a magazine a few weeks ago that they are now found along the River Wansbeck...I've got that pencilled into my diary to go and look for them!
And as my dear hubby is, as far as I know, on night shift next week and my car is back on the road I'm looking forward to getting out and about to a few meetings again.

GILL

Hello Gill,
If you thought that the Dragonflies of Kent were huge, well, some 300,000,000 years ago they had wingspans of 27". Now THAT is big. lol. However, you will see The Golden-ringed Dragonfly C. boltonii where you live, as well as plenty of Common Hawkers A.junceaand even possibly the Emperor Dragonfly A.imperator.

Ref. Banded Demoiselle, you are correct they are on the River Wansbeck, but only in small numbers so far. I'll fill you in on the best sites to see them in numbers in Northumberland on Monday after the meeting.

Harry

Aww that would be fantastic Harry! Knowing WHERE to go is half the battle, I find!
I never realised we had Emperor Dragonflies up here...told you I know nowt!! LOL And I've never even heard of the Golden-ringed Dragonfly *blush*
Perhaps I should spend this summer getting to grips with our dragonflies and damselflies instead of the birds ;) LOL ....time to dig out a good field guide methinks!

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Aww that would be fantastic Harry! Knowing WHERE to go is half the battle, I find!
I never realised we had Emperor Dragonflies up here...told you I know nowt!! LOL And I've never even heard of the Golden-ringed Dragonfly *blush*
Perhaps I should spend this summer getting to grips with our dragonflies and damselflies instead of the birds ;) LOL ....time to dig out a good field guide methinks!

GILL
Brooks and Lewington is the field guide to go for, IMO.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back