• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any news of White Storks? (1 Viewer)

Nancy

I read on a local birding site of the rare occurance of a pair of White Storks in W. Yorkshire making attempts at nest building. The article from the Telegraph on 22/04/04 stated that if successful this would be the first record of breeding White Storks in England since 1416. Is this true? Are they still there? Is it being kept a BIG SECRET?

Nancy said:
I read on a local birding site of the rare occurance of a pair of White Storks in W. Yorkshire making attempts at nest building. The article from the Telegraph on 22/04/04 stated that if successful this would be the first record of breeding White Storks in England since 1416. Is this true? Are they still there? Is it being kept a BIG SECRET?

Hi Nancy,

You are quite correct. It is not a big secret however. They are just north east of Netherton Village south of Horbury and best viewed from Balk Lane which runs north east out of Netherton Village.

A few negative and wholly incorrect rumours have been circulating about them attempting to nest, but this is what has happened.

On sunday they were observed displaying (I have seen some fantastic video footage of them) and on monday morning the birds were seen collecting nest material.

Later that day the nest material had been moved from a telegraph pole and it was initially considered suspicious.

However, the electricity board deliberatley removed the early stages of the nest because if one had accidentally touched the cable it would have been obliterated by a 300,000 volt electric shock.

Instead the RSPB have now attempted to attract the birds to a pole they have mounted away from the danger. I am not sure if this has worked yet.

Hopefully they will breed and with the RSPB in control a viewing system will be in operation that will keep both the birds & the birders happy!

Tom.

Hmmm... not sure about this.

I'll take your word for it regarding the Telegraph report, Nancy, and it is true that there have been a number of sightings of "2" White Storks in W. Yorkshire (and closeby in S. Yorkshire).

Trouble is, although I don't know the locations too well, they are certainly not far, as the Stork flies, from Harewood, where there is a collection of White Storks which seem to be free-flying (well there was last time I went about 5 years ago).

No news of nestbuilding as far as I know - but maybe it IS a big secret - and as for the first breeding since 1416???? Surely not!

(I don't doubt you, Nancy, just your source!)

Perhaps a good question would be, IF there is a nesbuilding pair... are they afforded any protection?

Well, clearly Tom has better info than I... I will certainly watch with interest - and I probaly won't be able to resist the "ticking" opportunity.

This has just gone out on the pagers:

W YORKS 2 WHITE STORKS HISTORY: 1 BIRD IS A FREE FLYING ESCAPE FROM AN ANIMAL PARK IN BELGIUM RINGED APRIL 2002 FIRST SEEN IN UK IN APRIL 2003; THE OTHER IS A REHABILITATED BIRD FOUND IN POOR CONDITION IN CALAIS SEPT 2002.

... so tick according to your conscience!!!

Tom.

This just off the pager

W YORKS 3 WHITE STORK 10.35AM NETHERTON VIEWABLE FROM BALK LANE SE.293.173.

Three!!!

So what is the status of the other one?????????????????????????

It was shown on Look North last night, with some footage of them coming onto the telegraph pole with twigs. They interviewed some birders that were there and someone from the RSPB saying how they were trying to prevent them being fried by the electric current.

This just off the pager again

W YORKS 3 WHITE STORK BY ARTIFICIAL NESTING PLATFORM SE/OF HORBURY WYKE & JUST NE/OF NETHERTON VIEWABLE FROM BALK LANE SE.293.173. ORIGIN OF 3RD BIRD CURRENTLY UNKNOWN.

Cool!!!

tom mckinney said:
... so tick according to your conscience!!!
RBA described these two as "of tainted origin" - that's a new one for them! They've also suggested (predictably) that the third bird might be from Harewood House.

They seem a motley crew, wherever they are from - and whilst I might've had a "look but don't tick" attitude if they were all Harewood birds, the fact that one appears to be from Belgium (albeit a birdpark) and one from France (albeit rehab) seems to make them fit for my list.

The third bird? Well I guess it could be a Harewood bird, but did it just happen across its buddies?

Would any reared chicks be "tainted"?

Let us not go down the "tick" or "Not to tick" question - it is simply down to you.

The third bird might be the same one seen flying over Marbury Country Park in Cheshire yesterday. If so it has roughly followed the path of the Bufflehead !!!

There have been numerous reports of White Storks today [St George's Day] from many parts of the country. including Cumbria, London, Bedfordshire and East Yorkshire, as well as the famous West Yorkshire duo cum trio.

This would strongly indicate a migratory pattern of wild birds flying at around the same time through the UK, rather than escapes. Moreover, the chances of that many escaping all at once are extremely remote.

Finally, the fact that these White Storks are all appearing in April (at a time when many are migrating), as they do in other years (I saw my first ever wild White Stork in UK in April 1999), also suggests either wild birds or, if escapes, a bizarrely unlikely coincidence!

Therefore, I think it would be safe to say wild [and therefore tickable] except where proven otherwise!

Last edited:
Rob Smallwood said:
Let us not go down the "tick" or "Not to tick" question - it is simply down to you.

The third bird might be the same one seen flying over Marbury Country Park in Cheshire yesterday. If so it has roughly followed the path of the Bufflehead !!!

So it's come all the way from America then! Wow!!! :eek!: ;)

Andrew,

Don't be naughty! I was merely drawing an unlikely parallel.

Alan - at least two of the birds can't be wild, having been positively identified, one as a release, and the other as a bird ringed when free flying, but already wearing a ring suggesting captive origin.

There are also known to be free flying escapes such as from Harewood (one Harewood bird wandered to Rochdale in March 2001 then returned to its Harewood nest site).

I suspect that you are right and these birds ARE being augmented by genuine wild birds, but sorting the wheat from the chaff.... I suspect that many of the feral birds get the same urges as the wild ones during spring?

BF members might like to know that the only proven pair of Storks ever in Britain succesfully reared young on the church of St Giles in Edinburgh city centre in 1416 B :)

Rob Smallwood said:
There are also known to be free flying escapes such as from Harewood (one Harewood bird wandered to Rochdale in March 2001 then returned to its Harewood nest site).
There are definitely two free-flying birds from Harewood but although they are male and female and consort occasionally, they are unlikely to breed. Apparently, Lee Evans has gone on record as saying that the Wakefield birds (and every other white stork in the last 15 years) are not tickable. I can understand that for the Harewood birds and the Belgian bird at Wakefield but the French bird is a rehab. there is no evidence that this bird was retained in captivity beyond the point when it had been restored to health. It is irrelevant whether it is exhibiting 'wild' migration behaviour because this bird is not a escape or deliberate free-flyer (as with the female from Harewood). In any case, successful breeding will yield one or more genuine wild fledged white storks and no amount of hair-splitting can take that away. OK, this is a case of an accidental reintroduction but it is still that and if we are going to go down the UK400 line then we have to exclude several species that are established breeding birds such as white-tailed sea eagle and cappers, not to mention any English or Scottish red kite. This is not a criticism of Lee Evans or UK400 but just my observations having worked as a volunteer in rehabilitation.

Ian,

Was the "rehab" bird not found to have been wearing a ring when initially caught - thus making its own origin suspect proir to rehab and subsequent release?

I've no axe to grind - as I've said on many a post in many a thread - it is up to you what you tick!

Hi Ian,

Evans didn't exactly say that. He has actually asked for feedback from all British birders asking for their opinions. He would like to know just what birders think of the current status of these types of birds (and their tickability) and should any changes be made.

Nobody has yet categorically stated that you can't tick the 2 birds - yet....

Rob Smallwood said:
Ian,

Was the "rehab" bird not found to have been wearing a ring when initially caught - thus making its own origin suspect proir to rehab and subsequent release?

I've no axe to grind - as I've said on many a post in many a thread - it is up to you what you tick!

I assumed the bird was ringed whilst in rehab but now you mention it...

I am not going after the birds anyway but I was just concerned with what Lee Evans was broadcasting. The Harewood birds do not migrate but the Wakefield pair appear to have done so albeit being somewhat astray from the natural line of migration. All of this will be irrelevant anyway if the pair successfully fledge young. What concerns me is where this precedent is leading - will Lee Evans and co refuse to allow introduced corncrakes or great bustards when it happens (and how will we tell anyway)? I have said before that I do not aspire to be part of the UK400 club anyway but if my list ever reaches those dizzy heights, I would review some of the entries according to the rules thereof. It is not so much a case of criticism but more a case that I am utterly confused at how the rules are being applied. If I was criticising, I would have attacked the "last 15 years" claim as being gamesmanship. However, I do think we sometimes lose sight of the biological significance in all this discussion. Whatever the cause, we may have breeding white storks for the first time in 600 years. This will be superb for the conservation of the species in europe given the severe mainland decline (get yer old wagon wheels out of the garage ;) ).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back