• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (1 Viewer)

At least three of us looked for the warbler yesterday - and possibly a few more (I was there till about 18:45 I think, so others could have come afterward. No sign of anything unusual though.

Looks like it might be the one that got away Danny - and I'd echo the concerns of others who've urged you not to report this as a possible eastern olly...there's just not enough here to eliminate other species.

On the pics, it appears that the bird has white in the outer tail - but it's difficult to know how much faith to have in that given the quality of the images (no offence meant there!). Did you notice it in the field?

Temmincks stint still on rigifa this lunchtime - and also a little ringed plover, which I guess is almost as rare up here (aside from the odd breeding pair of course...)

Temminck's Stint and Little Ringed Plover still on Rigifa when I left about 20:00. Nice to meet some people there (& look through a scope that's much better than mine...).

Rigifa birds

I went to the rapidly vanishing Rigifa pool this afternoon to see if the Temminck's Stint was still there. I photographed 2 birds but don't think they are right for Temminck's Stint, but I'm pretty hopeless at identification. Could someone put myself and my wife out of our predicament please?

Attachments

• IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 72
I went to the rapidly vanishing Rigifa pool this afternoon to see if the Temminck's Stint was still there. I photographed 2 birds but don't think they are right for Temminck's Stint, but I'm pretty hopeless at identification. Could someone put myself and my wife out of our predicament please?

Not a stint but a juvenile Black-headed Gull.

I'm enjoying the nice weather but am hopeful that a little bit of mud/ water will remain at Rigifa Pool for the birds. I last saw the Temmink's Stint on Tuesday and haven't heard any reports of it since. It's very small and seems good at hiding amongst the rubbish, stones and hollows... Good luck if you head back.

Welcome to Birdforum NewburghChick.

That's great news to know they're there - a super place.

Thanks for letting us know.

Loch of Skene

A nice morning down the loch on Sunday, water level getting very low. List as follows, Mute Swan/Whooper (1)/Carrion Crow/Oystercatcher/Mallard/Swallow/Great Tit/Robin/Blackbird/Chaffinch/Wren/Dunnock/Common Gull/Black-headed Gull/Herring Gull/Grey Wagtail/Woodpigeon/Sedge Warbler/Grey Heron. Some other ducks on water but too far for me to id, about half a dozen Terns about also, Common ?, again too far. Buzzard and Pheasant heard.
At the West end got these waders, looking for confirmation here. 3 Little Ringed Plover, one lighter than the other two, am assuming a juvenile, 1 Common Sandpiper and I think the 3rd picture is a juvenile Dunnock. (As ever, open to more knowledgeable id's)

Jim.

Attachments

• Loch of Skene 017.jpg
    Loch of Skene 017.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Loch of Skene 024.jpg
    Loch of Skene 024.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Loch of Skene 021.jpg
    Loch of Skene 021.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 63
A nice morning down the loch on Sunday, water level getting very low. List as follows, Mute Swan/Whooper (1)/Carrion Crow/Oystercatcher/Mallard/Swallow/Great Tit/Robin/Blackbird/Chaffinch/Wren/Dunnock/Common Gull/Black-headed Gull/Herring Gull/Grey Wagtail/Woodpigeon/Sedge Warbler/Grey Heron. Some other ducks on water but too far for me to id, about half a dozen Terns about also, Common ?, again too far. Buzzard and Pheasant heard.
At the West end got these waders, looking for confirmation here. 3 Little Ringed Plover, one lighter than the other two, am assuming a juvenile, 1 Common Sandpiper and I think the 3rd picture is a juvenile Dunnock. (As ever, open to more knowledgeable id's)

Jim.

Hi Jimmy. I think you're right with the first two but the third looks like a young Robin to me. Best wait for some more experienced birders though.

Rich

3:) We're getting better Jimmy:t:

Rich

Just to confirm (if any confirmation were needed) that your identifications are correct. Anyway, is that a yellow colour-ring just visible on the right tibia of the juv LRP Jimmy? Presumably the same bird and one of the adults were still present this morning, but I didn't have time for anything other than distant views. As to ducks, there are a few Teal and Wigeon back, but just Mallards and Tufties otherwise today, and they are Common Terns kicking around. Spot Fly and a Blackcap feeding three fledglings just west of the Towers.

Cheers,
Hugh.

Hi Hugh, looks like it is a colour ring, must admit I didn't notice in the field, bird's were a bit distant, had a look at the other photos but much the same as this one, doesn't show to well on cropping and bird facing the wrong way on them, might try for the Flycatcher this week, this would be a first for me, might still be around hopefully.

Jim

Hi Hugh, looks like it is a colour ring, must admit I didn't notice in the field, bird's were a bit distant, had a look at the other photos but much the same as this one, doesn't show to well on cropping and bird facing the wrong way on them, might try for the Flycatcher this week, this would be a first for me, might still be around hopefully.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Thanks for checking your photos. Presumably the same juv and single adult LRPs were still present yesterday evening along with a RP (although unfortunately a 'birdwatcher' was rabbiting away on his mobile on their favoured spit, preventing them from settling). The juv LRP is colour-ringed, almost certainly by Grampian Ringing Group, i.e. it'll have fledged locally.
Good luck with the Spot Fly - even if still present, not easy to see in the canopy at this time of year, but listen out for it calling.
Cheers,
Hugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back