• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildlife in Northumbria. (1 Viewer)

KEVIN BROWN

Casual Birder
On Saturday I am off on a family holiday to Alnwick, and would therefore appreciate any information on local sites for birding, and seeing any other wildlife. Red squirrel and Badger sites would be great as my daughter as not yet seen either. Thanks.

Birding at Druridge Bay, (North end at Amble, about 10 miles from Alnwick and the bay runs south for about 7 miles from there. Roseate terns are back now).

Also little terns and arctic terns at Long Nanny south of Beadnell. Good seawatching at Stag rock a few hundred yards north of Bamburgh castle.

Red squirrels at the gatehouse of Hulne Park in Alnwick.

Hi Kevin

If you've not been to Northumberland before you'll love it. Here's a link to the Northumberland sites in Opus, which includes Druridge Bay mentioned by Barred Wobbler - a great area with lots of different habitats.

D

A boat trip to the Farnes is great for puffins and other seabirds plus seals.

Cresswell, Druridge, East Chevington, Hauxley is a good series of sites along the coast. Druridge pools is pretty good for otter as well.

I've seen red squirrels recently in Hepburn Woods near Chillingham

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back