• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-streaked flycatcher, 1st. for Java! (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
While Robert Ulph & I were birding Baluran NP by the coast two days ago, following Robert's great find of a Black-thighed falconet, I picked up a flycatcher in the canopy of one of the trees.

It was actively fly catching and moving around a lot but we obtained good views of it eventually. It struck me immediatly as a bird I was unfamiliar with, and had a clean white belly and lightly streaked flanks, reminiscent of a pipit's.

All the other features pointed to the possibility of Grey-streaked flycatcher, with the wing bar, eye ring and shortish tail/long primary relative.

As it would constitute a first for Java, I was a little sceptical but after looking at images on the web, I am now sure it was this species.

Due to its height Robert, who will be posting more interesting photos of one or two birds we are yet to identify, couldn't get shots.

Also of note: a second for Java found by yours truly: Narcissus flycatcher.

Well done H2.

It really sounds as if you've had a very enjoyable and successful trip.

I hope you have a good journey back.

Sounds like an exciting trip H, look forward to your write-up if you choose to do one. A first and a super-rarity in one trip--not too shabby. I had to look up Narcissus Flycatcher-what a beauty! I wish I hadn't lost my bird list for Indonesia. I don't regret giving my guide book away to a guide/student who needed it more than me, but I wish I had had the where-with-all to write down the birds I had ticked in the book. Gene swears I did, but I can't find any list. In those days, I only checked off the bird next to the illustration in the book.

Hi Sue, now at Schipol, transferring dor final flight.
Will do some write up in due course.

Yes we had a very successful trip, with a complicated itinerary that all went to plan. A few birds that don't occur according to the book! One or two to do some more research.

Robert continues through Java as I write.

H

Nice one H. I had a similar situation when finding a Grey-streaked Flycatcher in Flores, so thought I should point this out as someone did for me:-

The only potential for confusion was the sibirica subsp of Dark-sided Flycatcher, and I was somewhat shocked at a link someone sent of how they can look, ie surprisingly sparse and distinct streaking on the breast sides, which means they can look more like GSF than field guides show. There were other differences though as I remember, eg different ups ground colour, how pronounced the pale loral area is, and the proportion of pale base to the lower mandible (?). If you noted this as well as the bold distinct flank streaking you should be ok. :t:

Hi Larry,

I've had a look at Dark-sided and can't find a close image to the bird we saw. The uppers were a little difficult to view as the bird was almost above us most of the time, but having looked at lots of images of GSF and others I'm happy with the id.

As well as this we had a flock of 22 or more Oriental plovers - not a first for Java as there is a photo of one said to be taken there on the net - but Phillipps/McK doesn't mention them for Java - so presumably rare.

We also had another flycatcher - possibly a Niltava sp. - that Rob took some photos of for the id forum when he returns.

A flock of a hundred Java Sparrows at Baluran was a real treat too.

H

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back