• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your major binocular use, POLL (1 Viewer)

Your major binocular use

• Just Birding & Nature Observation

Votes: 92 65.7%
  • Neither of the Above

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Multiple Uses With No Major Use, But Birding/Nature a Large Part of It

Votes: 41 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As we're a birding/nature site and almost all birders will view other nature with the binos, I've taken the liberty of adding birding/nature as one.

cheers,
Andy
fine, OK
This IS Bird Forum after all. I doubt there will be many 2s, if any.
I know they are here, maybe they will vote now as it is anonymous.

Last edited:
My use is pretty general.
Dogs, cats, birds, squirrels, my favorite and least favorite of God's creatures-women. The occasional deer or other wildlife. City lights, landscapes, industrial complexes, trains, etc. from a 100ft. tank I get on top of at work, plus arriving and departing aircraft from the nearby airport. Boats on the river at my best friend's place, and the rest of the world from the boat. Beaches and mountains on vacation. Moon, stars, Jupiter and Venus since they're both highly visible right now, constellations(though I mostly have no idea what I'm looking at). Football games, godson's 8 yr. old soccer games. Signs, and any other thing that gets in front of me at a distance when I'm not driving...
I have bins out every day, several times a day:t: Looking at stuff would be a cheap hobby if I could just stop buying more dang binoculars.

I put down #3. I'd say 80% of my use is out our windows or off our deck watching, wildlife, birds and maybe the neigbors a mile away. We live out in the Montana countryside so there is a lot going on. The rest is hunting, hiking, boating, anything out in nature.

I see what Andy might be alluding to regarding Tero's categories.

1 and 3 OK, but 2? This IS Bird Forum after all. I doubt there will be many 2s, if any.

BTW, I'm a 3. Breakdown is something like 95% birding, 4% astronomy, 1% concerts.

Addendum: A lot of posts at the same time! I now see the poll Andy

To be fair, birders ARE the most demanding of optics critics. I know several people, and several forums, all of which recommend people go to birding forums and ask for advice on binoculars. So, even people who aren't birders look to birders opinions on optics... Dare I make the pun? Like a... canary in a coal mine perhaps? [Dr. Evil Laugh]

To be fair, birders ARE the most demanding of optics critics.

For terrestrial use.

Astronomers are the ultimate critics, by far. Hair (and star) splitting is de rigueur. To some (many?), the whole exercise at a star party is to attain the ultimate view. I have a friend who takes a 36"! Dobsonian regularly to our local mountain viewing area. That's a man who's dedicated to "the view".

I'm 100% natural, half terrestial, half astronomical. I've been into astronomy since I was a little kid. I knock myself out looking at dim galaxies and splitting close double stars. Even at 7x! I'm newer to birding, and just about the worst birder around. But I'm learning. They are so beautiful. And, yeah, so hard to see. I LIKE hard to see.
Ron

Mainly birding and since you usually notice other things when you are birding - bugs, spiders, snakes, lizzards, etc - that too!! The night sky poses my next bin "frontier"!

I seem to fall into the last category. I use them for birding/nature observation for a good percentage of the time but also use them for extremely amateur astronomy and hunting as well.

There are uses beyond birding for binoculars, theater or sporting events for instance.
But it's really birding that drives the decision to buy so does that make me a 1?

Many users who do not bird can get away with narrow field, 7x power etc. depending on the use. Birding is a very demanding job.

I found I get seasick in a boat with binoculars. 7x would be good, maybe even 6x.

I would say 3. When I first started looking at this site I wasn't that much into birds, but I have found that I have become more interested in birds as time goes on. I was always interested in hawks. Astronomy is a big interest with me as well. I do like testing binoculars and spotters with charts etc.

The Yosemite 6x30 would be worth a try while in a boat. I have used it in our vehicle looking at signs ahead for my wife while she drives, first binocular I could use in a vehicle while moving.
Regards,Steve

Hi Mike, No she is not a fast driver, in fact she doesn't do the speed limit sometimes whilst we are going to the Daughter's place 3 1/2 hour trip.;) Makes for a longer trip. She missed a road one time and now I like to look ahead to make sure of the signs and I was just trying to see if I could use this binocular for this.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back