• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Sparrow? (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
Is this a song sparrow? This picture is about the best view I got of the bird before it took off.

Attachments

• sparrow3.jpg
    sparrow3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 229
It's not easy on this view, but a concern I have is that the tail gives the impression of being quite noticeably forked at the tip. Song Sparrow should have a rounded or squarish tip. I wondered if Savannah Sparrow might be a possibility but this could be a hard one to resolve.

Thanks for the help :) I didn't think this would be too easy. Hopefully I'll get a better look at whatever this was in the near future.

Yes, i think it's a song sparrow. I see them a lot where I live, so i can recognize them.

I get the impression that it's a finch. The thick bill, the forked tail, and the streaking on the breast looks like a Purple Finch.

Warbler, a purple finch looks like below:

Purple Finch on the left; Song Sparrow on the right.

Also, Song Sparrows do not have a forked tail, and this picture shows no forked tail. The "forked tail" you see is an object blocking the view (makes it look like it has a forked tail). Also, Purple Finches have a non-patterned breast in the color purple. It's not even close. Some sparrows have finch-like bills, including the Song Sparrow.

Attachments

• PIC01233.jpg
    PIC01233.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 185
Nobody's laughing, Jane. Me, too for Fox Sparrow-- long forked tail, dark face, and heavy, rich brown breast streaking with no clear central spot.

The tiny slice of spotting we can see actually suggested Fox to me too. I'm not sure if that thing to the left of the head blob is a thick bill, or just looks like that. If the bill really is that thick, it could be a finch. You might have to let this one go...

OK, so maybe it is a Purple Finch, On the mystery bird, there's no central spot, so it could not be any sparrows (that i know of). Sorry about the last post...

You know, now that I see your pic Warbler, i think you might be right, although on your picture, the streaks appear more numerous than on the mystery bird. But, as I'm not as experiences as most of everyone on this site, I could only guesstimate what it could be. Also take into account that for beginners, identifying sparrows and female finches is a daily nightmare.

No need to be sarcastic. We're all friends on here.

Also, this is certainly not a Fox Sparrow, at least it doesn't look like one to me.

For starters, no central breast spot, and the tail is not as forked as the mystery bird.

Sorry about being sarcastic. Everyone starts out as a beginner at some point so I know just what you mean about i.d.ing sparrows and female finches. I agree that the bird in my pic has more streaking but after looking at several photos I decided that's it's quite variable between individual birds. Yeah, I think you're right, that it's not a Fox Sparrow. The reddish color is missing and the bird is more slender (finchlike it seems to me) and not as plump as a Fox would be.

Also, in the mystery bird pic, you really can't get a good look at the face to see if there's the characteristic "mustache" of the Song Sparrow.

Maybe the bird will come back; I know they have in my area.

I believe it is a a Fox Sparrow. The streaking on the breast looks right and it appears to have a grayish head. Also looks like a Black-capped Chickadee behind it. (This gives you some idea of a size comparison.)

Also, central breast spots may or may not be visible, even on the more obviously breast-spotted sparrows. Feather wear, pattern variation, or even the position they're sitting in can render the spot invisible or distorted.

The rust-red color also makes me think Fox Sparrow, but I've yet to spot one out in the field so this isn't an 'official guess' (if such a thing exists).

Okay, I think that this is the same bird I saw yesterday. Song sparrow?

Attachments

• unknown10.jpg
    unknown10.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 207
  • unknown6.jpg
    unknown6.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 181
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back