• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (1 Viewer)

Hi guys, have popped into Rigifa twice this weekend. There's currently a couple of Black-tailed Godwits hanging around with 35 Curlew, so they might be the un-IDed waders you were talking about. Also a single juv Dunlin on one of the small pools both days and 4+ Snipe today , as well as 4 Pinkfeets yesterday and a posse of 20 odd Teal.Joseph

Black-tailed Godwits, then. Cheers! I didn't see the Dunlin but there were 3 Pinkfeeet on my last visit.

Anyone know what ha happened to the "Wildlife-Web" page that used to cever your area? Not been able to get on it for months. Thanks. Dave

Toddled up the coast for an afternoon session at Strathbeg today. It was very nice to see the long staying juvenile Buff-breasted Sandpiper there, albeit briefly. It was visible at mid-distance on the Low Ground but was watched only for around 5 minutes after I arrived, at which point it flew east with the majority of other waders present after being flushed by a Buzzard. Unfortunately it did not return whilst I was there. Also present during my stint from Tower Pool Hide were 3 Black-tailed Godwits, 3 Greenshanks and a Ruff, the latter providing nice comparisons with the Buff Breasted Sand.

Stopped briefly at the Ythan on the way to Strathbeg. A juvenile Curlew Sandpiper was amongst a small posse of Dunlin and hundreds of Redshanks from Inches Point, but it was otherwise pretty quiet. For more info, see my blog in the next few days.

Hi Dave, a few others on here have asked the same question. No-one seems to be sure what's happened; hope it has not been discontinued.

Joseph

Up at Ythan over the weekend, these two annoying me, is this a Greenfinch in moult or something and the hawk, I have no idea, it was terrorising the waders anyway, very fast, agile, looked grey in coluor. too fast for my old eyes ! any help appreciated

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 88
My first sighting of a Jay on Monday afternoon, east shore on Loch of Skene, was making loud callings and virtually invisible in the trees until a couple of dog-walkers got too close and flushed it out. good view for a few seconds before it departed east.

Jim.

The first meeting of the Scottish Ornithologists' Club (SOC) Grampian branch winter programme takes place this coming Monday. The speaker is Ron Summers, who will talk on the “Crossbills of Scotland”. The meeting will be held at The Sportsman’s Club, 11 Queen’s Road, Aberdeen, and starts at 7.30pm. All welcome, with a suggested donation for attendance of £2.

If anybody wants a copy of the full winter programme, please PM me.

I went up to Strathbeg today where I failed to see the Greater Yellowlegs. There were compensations though. The two Buff-breasted Sandpipers trotted about the grass for about an hour-and-a-half early afternoon. Other waders were a bit meagre apart from lots of Dunlin, several Ruff and a Grey Plover. A 2nd winter Mediterranean Gull dropped in mid-afternoon, which was rather nice. Also regular sightings of a juvenile Marsh Harrier and Peregrine, a couple of hundred Barnacle Geese and a few dozen Whooper Swans.

I spent a pleasant hour or so at St. Cyrus in the sunshine at lunchtime today. I chased a flock of 25 Redpolls around for a while and came to the conclusion they were all Lesser types. It was also nice to see a pair of Stonechats - I have missed them on Deeside since they were wiped out in the winter of 2009-10. There was obviously a decent sized Pinkfoot flock at the top of the cliffs judging by all the comings and goings.

Attachments

• Redpoll2.jpg
    Redpoll2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Redpoll4.jpg
    Redpoll4.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Stonechat.jpg
    Stonechat.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 67
Loirston Loch

Another one to test the skills of the experts, seen on Loirston Loch on Sunday, odd one out amongst these, feeding (diving), couldn't see any sign of a tuft. One of these days I'll get one in range of my autofocus. A combine started up in the field and everything took off except him, just carried on feeding, thanks again.

Jim

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 53
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 47
Another one to test the skills of the experts, seen on Loirston Loch on Sunday, odd one out amongst these, feeding (diving), couldn't see any sign of a tuft. One of these days I'll get one in range of my autofocus. A combine started up in the field and everything took off except him, just carried on feeding, thanks again.

Jim

Despite the lack of tuft I reckon that's still just a drake Tufted Duck. At this time of year they're just coming out of eclipse plumage and can look a bit scrappy like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back