• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song or mistle? (1 Viewer)

tarves57

I can't tell the difference from the pictures in my book. Are there any definitive markings that give a positive ID on which type of thrush? This was taken 2 weeks ago in Ross-shire, Scotland. The thrush would sit at the very highest point of a tree and sing very beautifully early in the morning and late in the evening. It seemed to like defying the strong wind too, sitting facing into the wind on the highest brach possible.

Thanks
Susan

Attachments

• Highthrush.jpg
    Highthrush.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 310
Hi Susan,
Your description of singing boldly high up in defiance of the elements is behaviour I associate with Mistle Thrush. However your picture appears to me to be of a Song Thrush esp. as there appears to be a warm orange-buff wash on the breast. Did the song involve obvious repetition of notes? -if so >Song thrush.

Steve G said:
Did the song involve obvious repetition of notes? -if so >Song thrush.

Hmm... it was quite a varied song, repetitive in places, but very eloquently executed.....(for want of a better word!). I think I had another photo, I'll try and find it.

Thanks,
Susan

Agreed with Song for the pic.

Song Thrushes will also sit on exposed perches to sing. Mistle Thrush song is much less varied, doesn't fit that song description.

The tree is a Lawson's Cypress.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
The tree is a Lawson's Cypress.

Michael

Heavens! That was my next question..... :) No, really, I was about to write "sitting in a fir/pine/? tree" and decided to leave it at "tree", as I realised I had no idea what it was!

I found this picture which is very similar to the first, so it's probably not helpful.

Susan

Attachments

• highthrush2.jpg
    highthrush2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 240
A feature of Song Thrush that's shown very well in your pictures are the v-shaped marks on the underparts. On Mistle these would be much more rounded.

Yes, in Song thrush they allways remind me of little arrowheads, whereas in Mistle thrush they are like oval dots, wider than long.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back