• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with duck ID (Canada) (1 Viewer)

el_supremo

I photographed the bird shown in the attached photos in a residential park in Saskatoon, Sask, Canada. I am only a beginner at identifying birds so when I took the photos I didn't realize there was anything unusual about it. I'm now told it's possibly a hybrid Lesser Scaup x Ring-necked Duck. It was a really dreary day and the bird was at the other side of a pond so the pictures aren't great. They are all 100% crops from the original photos and have all been brightened and sharpened by the same amount with PSP8.

Anyone care to take a stab at it?

Thanks

Attachments

• q1_all_5292.jpg
    q1_all_5292.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 259
Hi Pete,

It looks very much like a combination of the two species to me, both in terms of shape and plumage, so it very possibly is a hybrid Lesser Scaup x Ring-necked Duck. Interesting looking bird.

Hi Pete,
I agree with Andrew that it seems to be a male Lesser Scaup x Ring-necked Duck.Was wondering if Greater Scaup x Ring-necked Duck can be fully ruled out from the pics,but this pairing is less likely,perhaps(know that Lesser Scaup has more similar habitat requirements to Ring-necked Duck than Greater does)?
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back