• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Bird (1 Viewer)

Marysan

I have several photos of a banded bird first seen at San Diego Wild Animal Park 10-20-02. Because it is banded, means that it is a Park exhibit bird- it could be from anywhere in the world. However, the Park does not have up to date information posted on their exhibit birds. This is a very striking bird and my first impression was that it must be a Merganser of some kind but I haven't yet found a match for it. H-E-E-E-L-P!!! Please. I can post more photos if needed. Thank you very much. This is not a test.

Attachments

• 8428bandedduck.jpg
    8428bandedduck.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 401
Its a drake red crested pochard !!!!

Hope that helps, we get them in the Uk a bit, mostly as escape's from collections as they look really pretty.:t:

mystery

MARY
This is definately the Mallaganzer, very rare, scientists thought it was a cross between a Mallard and Merganser, but it is a true type in its own right. The only other specimin apart from your pic is, I believe in the Natural history Museam London. I shall report your find to the curator straight away. Do you think you could tape its call?

steve

Hi Steve,
I don't have the capability to tape it's call and when I was at the SD Wild Animal Park this past Sunday, 10-27-02, the bird in question was nowhere in sight and believe you me, I looked for it scrupulously. I have several photos of this bird. I'll post another one here.

Attachments

• 8509bandedbird.jpg
    8509bandedbird.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 364
I gotta say that it sure looks like a Red Crested Pochard to me too ! I was fortunate to see several in my neck of the woods earlier this year.

Attachments

• red crested pochard co.jpg
    red crested pochard co.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 310
That's a beautiful photo, Ian, really spectacular. The Red-crested Pochard really looks like my bird except for the collar line and the color of the beak. Does anyone know if the beak changes color as does the Ruddy Duck's? I'm going to post another photo where my bird is in the same pose as ElAnnie's "Pondering Pochard" from the net. I think you guys got it if we know about the beak color.

Attachments

• 8432bandedduck.jpg
    8432bandedduck.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 357
I have about 9 photos of this bird and the beak is not red on any of them. This is what I found about the Red-crested Pochard's beak at www.cyborganic.com .

"In the breeding male, the head is rusty orange, breast black, sides white, wings brownish and the distinctive bill is red. In eclipse plumage he looks like the female but his bill remains red. The female has a dark brown crown and nape with pale grey on lower face and front of neck. Otherwise, she is dull brown. Her bill is reddish-brown."

What do you all think? I have to leave now, but I'll check back later. Thanks to all for your help.

Bye,
Mary

The bird in your shot is in breeding plumage, but the R C Pochard looks a different bird in eclipse. The plumage and colours in general becomes much more muted and of course the change is gradual. I'm not an expert in such matters, but I'm pretty certain that your bird is a R C Pochard.
The RC Pochard does have a 'coral red' bill, but in the juveniles it is dark grey which becomes red with maturity. The bill looks lighter in your shots, but I was putting that down to the lighting conditions.

Yes Mary, Your bird definitely has a different coloured beak, do we know if all the pics we have c/o Ian and net are of males?? Maybe it's a simple as red beak = male?? Will do a search for female.....

El Annie

Aha.....

Length 53-57 cm, wing span 84-90 cm. Long, bulky body with a large rounded head. White broad wing-bars. Adult male breeding: Head rusty-orange, breast rear and centre of belly black, white flanks and a striking red bill. Adult Female: Head-sides and foreneck off-white with darker forehead, crown and hindneck cap, plain brown body. Dark grey bill with a pink spot near tip, and brown eye. Male eclipse: Similar to female but retain the red bill. Juvenile: Similar to female, but with all dark bill.

Still looking for a decent picture.....

How about both sexes together - sorry if I stepped on your toes ElAnnie

Attachments

• red crested pochard fojpg.jpg
    red crested pochard fojpg.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 309
El Annie said:
Oh no, not so sure now I've seen you pic Ian :-C

El Annie

It was just that I took a real fancy to them last Spring after finding them on my local pond. The juveniles look remarkably similar to the females and then gradually change into breeding plumage. I think Marysan's is probably an adult male.
The neck markings do look different depending on the angle of the head. In Marysans shot the neck is lowered and looks squat, but in mine it's raised, but the pattern of markngs is the same. It's still a good catch as they are pretty rare over here. A lot of people don't accept them as 'wild' but I think going by the numbers around nowadays that they have set up a breeding population, ever if they did start off as escapees.

Ian, if my mystery bird is an adult male it should have a red bill, shouldn't it? Maybe it's a juvenile Red-crested Pochard. Here's another photo not too good but it shows the neck in a different position and a Mallard is in the picture for size comparisom.

Attachments

• 8431mystery+mallard.jpg
    8431mystery+mallard.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 354
I see what you mean about the beak colour, it's certainly not as red as it ought to be. Everything else about it shouts R C Pochard, but you could be right about it being a younster reaching adulthood.
I know that Pochards are more likely to hybridise than other type of duck and that such crossbreeding is not uncommon, especially in parks and reserves. It certainly looks as if it knows that Mallard ;)

Funny, Ian. Well, I'm satisfied to call it a male Red-crested Pochard and I want to thank you all very much for all your help here; and a special thanks to Stuart who called it right from the getgo. I learned a lot from this discussion. The flash on my Nikon CoolPix775 stopped working this past Sunday and I had to turn it in for repair. Fortunately, I have insurance on it that will cover parts and labor. The store said it may be 2 to 3 weeks before I get the camera back. I feel like I've been grounded but maybe now I'll get some work done around the house.

Thanks again,
Marysan

Marysan said:
.......... The flash on my Nikon CoolPix775 stopped working this past Sunday and I had to turn it in for repair. Fortunately, I have insurance on it that will cover parts and labor. The store said it may be 2 to 3 weeks before I get the camera back. I feel like I've been grounded but maybe now I'll get some work done around the house.

Thanks again,
Marysan
I'm in the same boat. I just sent mine off to Olympus for a repair as something has dropped onto the inside surface of the lens :-C
It has meant though that I've spent more time on here :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back