• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hummingbird help 2 (1 Viewer)

Hello herring99,

From looking at my 'Birds of Columbia', I'd say that it's either a Green Violetear or a Sparkling Violetear, unless there is a different hummingbird that looks like them in Peru. I could easily be wrong as I have never been there.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Hi herring99,

Looks like Sparkling Violetear to me. The violet extends below eye into throat. Green Violetear only has this coloring behind eye.

I saw many in Ecuador.

dennis

Sparkling violet-ear

I agree, it's a Sparkling Violet-ear. The Green Violet-ear is a paler green.

Attached is a photo I took of a Sparkling Violet-ear in Bogota, Colombia. I think this will help the comparison.

Attachments

• colibri.gif
    colibri.gif
    425.4 KB · Views: 252
Thanks,

clears up a few other photos from Peru. I have great memories of hummers also, the green tailed trainbearer being my first. I was so shocked at the small size and the speed of the bird i thought it was a dragonfly! These little gems are definitely the highlight of the birding part of the trip, and that's against some stiff competition.

Herring

Herring,
I'll have to agree with your comments about the Green-tailed Trainbearer. I had one that frequented my garden in Bogota and saw it several times each week but never managed one decent pic. It is a beauty.

Yeh i'm really hooked on hummers. I was totally mesmerised by all of the 9 species in Peru that i saw on a non birding trip! One of the many highlights was nearly headbutting one (not my fault the hummers!) and hearing that they actually do humm, superb. Hope you get the photo you want Dave.

all the best

Herring

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back