• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snapping Pics at the Feeder (1 Viewer)

Yesterday, had a bad day so I hope you understand why this is so late.

Anyway, the first thing I got up I headed over to Bashakill Marsh. Saw a handful of birds, although some ID's are requested. Photos of these unknown birds are in the ID thread I posted on Friday. Then got home, and took a trip to the pond again. Again tried to confirm my dad's GBH sighting. Lists for both places are below.

Bashakill Marsh:
Great Blue Heron
Ring-Necked Duck (New tick!!!)
Black-Capped Chickadee
Red-Winged Blackbird
Horned Grebe (New tick!!!)

At the pond:
Tufted Titmouse
Northern Flicker
Yellow-Rumped Warbler (New tick!!)
American Robin
Great Blue Heron (finally!)

At feeder:
American Goldfinch

total for yesterday: 11 birds

Last edited:
On sunday, my dad and I went to Bashakill together. Saw a few birds:

Great Egret
Bald Eagle (nesting)
Osprey (nesting)

They raptors were pretty far away, so i couldn't get pictures. And I tried to get a picture of the Great Egrets (at least three of them) through the car window along side my dad (who's also trying to get some good ones) and it's raining and his camera lens' getting wet. So he closes the window...

Dang, although I did get some somewhat-good shots of European Starlings when we stopped at a gas station on the way there.

Just went down to the pond for the first time this week.

Northern Flicker
Canada Goose
White-Throated Sparrow

At the feeder:
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
American Goldfinch

Total birds: 5

OK, got more news. I am getting really tired of seeing the same old American Goldfinches every freaking day. At once there were at least 17 goldies vying for a spot on the feeders. It's driving me nuts. They're like the European Starlings I never see. Anyway, I got myself a mini-tripod a few days ago and think it's great. I use it like the butt of a shotgun, have it angled just right so all I have to do is put the butt (or the three folded legs) up against my shoulder to steady the camera that way.

Anyhow, here's the list for today:

Mourning Dove
American Goldfinch
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Downy Woodpecker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Tufted Titmouse
Purple Finch
Chipping Sparrow
Common Grackle

Total for today: 11 birds

List of all the birds since the start of this thread:

1. Carolina Wren
2. White-Breasted Nuthatch
3. Tufted Titmouse
4. Turkey Vulture
5. Red-Bellied Woodpecker
6. American Goldfinch
7. American Crow
8. American Tree Sparrow
9. American Robin
10. Dark-Eyed Junco
11. Black-Capped Chickadee
12. Downy Woodpecker
13. Northern Cardinal
14. Song Sparrow
15. Chipping Sparrow
16. Pine Siskin
17. Mourning Dove
18. Fox Sparrow
19. House Sparrow
20. House Finch
21. Hairy Woodpecker
22. Common Grackle
23. Blue Jay
24. Eastern Phoebe
25. Brown-Headed Cowbird
26. Red-Winged Blackbird
27. Purple Finch
28. Yellow-Rumped Warbler
29. Northern Flicker
30. White-Throated Sparrow
31. Red-Tailed Hawk
32. Mallard
33. Great Blue Heron

and for the twenty one days that I cataloged in this thread, averaged 10 birds a day.

WOW! Not only do I continue to see Chipping Sparrows at my feeder, but I got an unexpected bonus early this morning (at 7:53 Eastern; it is currently 8:04 as I type this) when a European Starling landed near the feeder!

So the list so far for today:
European Starling
Downy Woodpecker
Chipping Sparrow
American Goldfinch

Total for today: 4 birds

While watching the starling, i reached for my camera, and the bird flew away... D'Oh!

Whoa! I'm on my way to breaking my all time high number of bird species seen in one day! As I do so, already got two new lifers, and I'm really excited about breaking my day record!

01. American Goldfinch
02. Purple Finch
03. Blue Jay
04. Downy Woodpecker
05. Common Grackle
06. White-Breasted Nuthatch
07. Tufted Titmouse
08. American Robin
09. Chipping Sparrow
10. Red-Bellied Woodpecker
11. Northern Cardinal
12. Black-Capped Chicakdee
13. Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (lifer)
14. Mourning Dove
15. Veery (lifer)

Fifteen birds! 2 more and I break my day record! My record is 16 birds, recorded on March 19th, 2004.

Last edited:
So on the 7th of May, finally saw the male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (the prettiest bird I've ever seen!).

Today's List:
1. Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
2. Tufted Titmouse
3. Black-Capped Chickadee
4. Downy Woodpecker
5. Red-Bellied Woodpecker
6. American Goldfinch
7. House Wren (New Tick!!)
8. Purple Finch
9. Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
10. Chipping Sparrow
11. American Robin
12. Blue Jay
13. Mourning Dove

Total of 13 birds for today!

We didn't have a hummingbird feeder up yet when I saw my first hummingbird of the year! He landed on the yellow thistle feeder, thinking it was a flower, and after a few seconds, he flew away. I haven't seen him since. But I did hurry and put up the hummingbird feeder where the thistle feeder used to be, and put the thistle feeder on a pole off to the side. So now we have three feeders up.

My dad wants to know if hummingbirds come to nectar feeders even in the presence of other birds on the other feeders, or if the hummingbirds prefer to feed in private.

Yeah, they're beautiful birds, ain't they? And my first hummingbird of the season has arrived too! Hoping he will stop by today for a drink so I can get a shot!

Speaking of creepers, now that the trees have leaves on them, it's gonna be even harder to spot one. what kind of trees do they prefer to use?

I went to the pond earlier this morning, and got a day to remember! Got three new ticks, finally got a photo of my elusive neighbor, saw two heron species, and heard what sounded like a Pileated Woodpecker!

The List:
01. American Goldfinch
02. Chipping Sparrow
03. Grey Catbird (New Tick!!!)
04. Solitary Sandpiper (New Tick!!!)
05. Common Grackle
06. Mallard
07. Great Blue Heron
08. American Crow
09. American Robin
10. Downy Woodpecker
11. Green Heron (New Tick!!!)
12. Northern Cardinal
13. Blue Jay

So far today, 13 birds. There's still some day left, so chances are good that I will see a few more!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back