• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mini invasion at moth light (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Hi all,
my first question is, what is this species and second, what was going on last night?

In over ten years of moth trapping, I've never had such an event, about 50 of these came in to the light, all the same species. Has there been some kind of synchronised emergence and if so, why doesn't it happen every year?

Just to say also that they're not dead, they've been in the fridge all night.

Andy

Attachments

• RSCN4044.JPG
    RSCN4044.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 40
  • RSCN4046.JPG
    RSCN4046.JPG
    624.1 KB · Views: 36
Hello Andy,
Definitely a Coleopteran but I can't help you as to species, it's not my field of interest. As for a sudden appearance at your light trap, this can happen with any species of moth, and all the other insects that are attracted to light.

Harry

Hi all,
my first question is, what is this species and second, what was going on last night?

In over ten years of moth trapping, I've never had such an event, about 50 of these came in to the light, all the same species. Has there been some kind of synchronised emergence and if so, why doesn't it happen every year?

Just to say also that they're not dead, they've been in the fridge all night.

Andy

Thanks Harry,
our local entomologist who's the curator at the local museum has suggested the possibility of a breeding event of some kind?

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back