• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragon/Damselfly Id ~SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
I wondered if anyone could ID these dragon/damselflies for me please

Attachments

• damsel.jpg
    damsel.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 68
  • drag 3.jpg
    drag 3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 66
  • drag 4.jpg
    drag 4.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 66
  • drag.jpg
    drag.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 74
  • drag2.jpg
    drag2.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 95
My thoughts are
1. Lestes macrostigma male
2. Sympetrum fonscolombii male
3. Sympetrum striolatum female
4. Crocothemis erythraea female
5. Orthetrum sabina ?

Not quite sure on the last one. Orthetrum sabina are supposed to have white appendages and to not get pruinose. The only similar dragonfly in the med is Orthetrum trinacria but it's not a Turkish species. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of Orthetrum sabina will know.

I asked in another forum and the majority were for male Long Skimmer (O.trinacria). A good Turkish record. Well done.

I asked in another forum and the majority were for male Long Skimmer (O.trinacria). A good Turkish record. Well done.
I agree, a Long Skimmer and a good record. It would be worth reporting details of the sighting to Vincent Kalkman (at the email address in the pdf linked by honeym).

I agree, a Long Skimmer and a good record. It would be worth reporting details of the sighting to Vincent Kalkman (at the email address in the pdf linked by honeym).

Yes , I have already informed Vincent, and other Turkish societies.
I've now been asked to look out for Onychogomphus assimilis and O. flexuosus as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back