• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gigrin Farm, Rhayader, Mid-Wales (1 Viewer)

Greyghost

Hiya,
I'm a bit late with this thread as we've been back off holiday for a week but here goes. My partner and I decided on a very sudden camping holiday (with a days notice) and have always wanted to watch the Kites at Gigrin Farm, having only seen the Rockingham birds from a distance. We arrived at the farm about 2.00pm for the 3.00pm feeding and a good job we did as the hides filled up quickly. The farmer fed the birds with Jackdaws, Rooks, Carrion Crows (including a couple of hoodeds to boot) and Ravens in first. A few Kites flew in, grabbed the meat on the wing and flew off. The best bit came later, about a hour after the feeding, most of the crowds had gone, the skies filled with about 50 kites and the buzzards also then came in. Fantastic sight.
Other highlights of the holiday were; at the campsite in Rhayader we had, as well as the regular garden birds, many nuthatch, tawney owls and a single wood warbler; in a ploughed field near Devils Bridge, we had 8 buzzards on the ground and best of all, on a ridge above Claerwen Dam, we had a buzzard and goshawk working the wind, a pergrine tried to muscle in and was chased of by the goshawk who then resumed waiting on. On the trip back to Rhayader, we had a redstart in a layby, whilst admiring the scenery.
Best wishes,
Steve

Have to agree with all Steve said. We travelled from Holyhead on Anglesey as that place was raine off! - we arrived late for the 3pm "kick off" as it were, but after the hides emptied, and crowds dispersed, there was over 50 Kites appeared much closer - they must hear the noise or "sense" the scopes, bins, cameras etc.

'Twas also interesting to see Magpie, Crow,Jackdaw,& Raven to compare against each other, as well as a couple of Buzzard & Heron. We have local Kites here at Gateshead, but there's something special about Gigrin.

As already mentioned, hang about after the rush for best results.

I agree, I went a couple of weeks ago and the lady on the car park said wait until nearly all of the public have left the hides and then go in. I counted about eighty kites wheeling around and diving down to pick food up, six buzzards calmly feeding on the ground, and heaven knows how many crows/rooks were sitting and flying around to grab any leftovers from the kites. A very entertaining hour or so well worth the £2 (OAP) admission charge

Thanks for the tip. I have 2 weeks hols booked near lake Vyrnwy (llyn Efynwy) for the last week of Sept and 1st week of Oct. As Gigrin Farm is not too far away it is one of our places we must visit. Also I plan to pop across to Ynys hir reserve and try and fit in a trip up to Anglesey and see if I can eye ball some puffins.

Are there any other spots in the area worth a visit ?

Many thanks Robert

robski said:
Are there any other spots in the area worth a visit ?

Many thanks Robert

When we went to Gigrin a couple of month's ago, we also spent a day at Ynis Hir. Great place - 65 species - a decent count (for us).

Spent odd hours locally around Gigrin. Peregrine nesting in Elan valley one evening. Also spent a couple of hours at Gilfach Nature reserve (a couple of miles down the road from Gigrin. On the other side of the main road to the entrance, there's a small wooded area - got some good views of treecreeper and green woodpeckers there.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back