• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spangled Drongo (1 Viewer)

cheshirebirder

Just got back from a trip to Goa where I saw spangled drongo . Compiling my list since I got home I noticed I'd seen spangled drongo in Australia last year,but closer inspection of the Latin names revealed they are different birds !(the tails are very different anyway ) .Now ,obviously different countries have their own names for some birds, but how confusing is it when 2 different species go under the same name ? Are there any other examples?

Just got back from a trip to Goa where I saw spangled drongo . Compiling my list since I got home I noticed I'd seen spangled drongo in Australia last year,but closer inspection of the Latin names revealed they are different birds !(the tails are very different anyway ) .Now ,obviously different countries have their own names for some birds, but how confusing is it when 2 different species go under the same name ? Are there any other examples?

Very!

A "Disambig" search in Opus will find you some more... here's one - Black Duck which is THREE different species!

D

The Spangled Drongo usued to be one species and was split later. Most lists now use Spangled Drongo for the eastern form (Australia and parts of Indonesia and the Philippines) and Hair-crested Drongo for the western form. New Indian Field Guides don't use the name Spangled Drongo anymore.

André

Wintibird, that's interesting. My Indian field guide (which is not very old )still uses spangled drongo . More interestingly, my local guide on the day also still used the name spangled drongo !

As André notes, most authorities/authors (eg, IOC, BLI, Clements, HBW, Dickinson 2003, Monroe & Sibley 1993, Rasmussen & Anderton 2005, Christidis & Boles 2008) now split Australasian Dicrurus bracteatus as Spangled Drongo, leaving Asian D hottentotus as Hair-crested Drongo.

Unsurprisingly, Grimmett, Inskipp & Inskipp 1998 (Birds of the Indian Subcontinent) and all its well-known derivative regional field guides follow Inskipp et al 1996 (Annotated Checklist of the Birds of the Oriental Region), which didn't recognise this split.

Richard

Last edited:
Brown-backed/Sharp-billed/Wahlberg's Honeybird is another.....Village/Black-headed Weaver is another especially when there's already a separate Black-headed Weaver (which is often called Golden-backed though......) !!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back