• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few doubts on legand Ultra HD (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

Hi,
On the verge of buying the Legand Ultra HD 8x42 but have just a few doubts. So any help to make my mind up would be appreciated. I'm sure that the optics would be just wonderful, its more a case of the build quality, that I have heard is not so good?
Also not to sure about the soft feel grips. Would they be durable long term? As it is, my short list has two names on it. This one and the Zen-Ray ED2, maybe a third if Zen-Ray were to give the ZRS ED glass any time soon!
So any advice on this would be most welcome. Thanks

Have not had mechanical problems with mine. Each bushnell series can only be compared among the lot, each model is so different. The eye cups will take getting used, that is for sure.

The other issue is with weight and bulk with your ZR choices. Not a problem in my hands, but some people like the compact Bushnells. There, the 8x36 is even more compact, but I can't tell you how the optics are, just that they feel smaller in hand.

See my notes on the focus knob of the 10x36.

I currently have the 8x36, 10x36 & 10x42 and sold my 8x42 because of the eye relief issue. Since I do not wear glasses, the 8x42 gave me some blackout issues because the eyecups did not twist out far enough, and I had to hold them slightly away from my eyes.

To me the soft touch pads are a non issue as they do not even come into play the way I hold binos. If you look at the bino laying flat, the pads would be from the 6:00 to the 7:30 position, and start 3/4" below the eyecup assembly(at the rubber armor line) and extend down about 1 inch. The only way they come into play for me is if I use a thumbtip and fingertip grip, which seems awkward, and then I have a hard time focusing. In my normal grip with thumbs extended and slightl crossed, they are under the first joint of my thumbs and hardly noticeable.

I have had no issues with build quality, and I spent a week trying to duplicate Tero's problem with the outer sleeve of the focusing wheel on the 36mm's, without success.

As others have reported, the Legend Ultra HD's have a nice large sweetspot with gradual field curvature, great contrast and excellent control of CA, but to me the area where they really shine is the ability to control glare, with the 8x36 being the best of the lot in this regard.

Roll the dice and take your turn;)

tom

You got me beat as I could only get them down to -12.7C for about 24 hours in my GARAGE. And here I thought you were only putting them in your freezer.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back