• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Great Yarmouth Mediterranean Gulls (1 Viewer)

cjay

Med Gulls were once very rare in the UK before the 1960’s but there has been an increase in records corresponding with a population increase in the Black Sea area. Birds of the Western Palearctic reports that birds arriving in the UK come from the Black sea, following the rivers to the Baltic coast & then into the North Sea, the English channel & continue to colonise the East coast of England. I expect records have come from all over the UK coastline in recent years.

Mediterranean Gulls (Med Gulls) are slightly larger than the similar Black Headed Gull.
Adults are identified by having a black hood, rather than brown, which extends down to the top of the nape, a slightly thicker blood red bill, & distinctive white-eye lids. Adult summers have pale grey upper parts & pure white primaries. These features are distinctive in flight & can be recognized at considerable distance. Beware though of albino Black Headed gulls.

Adult winters are similar but have a dark “mask” behind the eye.

By far the best site for this species in Norfolk is the Beach between the Britannia & Wellington Piers at Great Yarmouth TG531069 just north of the Sea Life Centre.
Between September & March. Here it is not unknown to see up to twenty birds sitting on the shingle beach. It is not clearly known how long these birds have been visiting this site but records go back to 1995 of them being here. It is a good spot to look at different plumages & ages of these gulls & many have colour rings. One of the most popular birds to be seen here is 21N. This gull was ringed in Belgium & is a frequent visitor here. It has been seen further south at Lowestoft over the years.

In Suffolk The South Beach at Lowestoft & Landguard Point Felixstowe are good places to see Med Gulls but they are not as reliable as the Great Yarmouth Birds.

Colin J.

Very informative,Colin;I've seen several around the Southend area (Essex)recently and there are some great pictures on the local Southend-on- Sea RSPB website.
The only thing I'd add is that I've seen 2nd Summer birds with the head characteristics of adults,but with black markings on outer primaries.

Yes Andrew it is more likely to be a Med Gull. Albino BHG's have smaller thinner bills.
& are uncommon. An albino BHg can be seen in the Great Yarmouth Area.

Colin J.

I remember twitching one by train from Hull to Bridlington in the late 70's when the harbour there used to hold one each winter. This bird, if it was indeed the same bird, wintered there for many years. In those days it was a scare bird and the 'Brid' harbour Med Gull was the one to year tick.

Oh, how time have changed!

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back