• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gouache meterials (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I am going to start with gouache.I need to set up my basic materials.There are so many brands and types of brushes and paints.If I am going to buy 6 brushes and 6 paint tubes,what brands and what types I should try?

I'm sure you'll get a 100 different opinions, but I really like W&N Designer gouache. For brushes a good place to start is a 1" synthetic flat, #6,4,2 round brushes... W&N Series 7 Sables seldom disappoint. I find the gouache wears out brushes faster than transparent watercolor.

I'm sure you'll get a 100 different opinions, but I really like W&N Designer gouache. For brushes a good place to start is a 1" synthetic flat, #6,4,2 round brushes... W&N Series 7 Sables seldom disappoint. I find the gouache wears out brushes faster than transparent watercolor.

Agree with Matty on all counts. The coarser, more chalky textured pigments of gouache wear brushes far more quickly than those in fine artists' quality watercolor. There are some really good quality synthetics out there today but sable is still arguably best; it's a question of economics and buying the best you can afford really, as with most things.

Thank you very much for your humble comments.How about buying W&N Cotman flat brush and Kolinsky round brushes.
If I find W&N paints are expensive for me what next choice do I have?
I'm going to buy all these via eBay due to the unavailability of these products in my country.

Thank you very much for your humble comments.How about buying W&N Cotman flat brush and Kolinsky round brushes.
If I find W&N paints are expensive for me what next choice do I have?
I'm going to buy all these via eBay due to the unavailability of these products in my country.

Any good quality Prolene or nylon flat would work; you may find a mop useful for laying washes too. I use Daler Rowney 'Diana' Kolinsky sable brushes which are great but very expensive. I would recommend going for a couple of mid-range synthetics first to see how you get on before taking the plunge with expensive sable brushes. You should find painting satisfying and relaxing and I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts. As for paint, Daler Rowney offer a basic set of 6 tubes for beginners called 'Simply Gouache'. The quality won't be quite as good quality as the Designer range but should give you a decent start. :t:

Any good quality Prolene or nylon flat would work; you may find a mop useful for laying washes too. I use Daler Rowney 'Diana' Kolinsky sable brushes which are great but very expensive. I would recommend going for a couple of mid-range synthetics first to see how you get on before taking the plunge with expensive sable brushes. You should find painting satisfying and relaxing and I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts. As for paint, Daler Rowney offer a basic set of 6 tubes for beginners called 'Simply Gouache'. The quality won't be quite as good quality as the Designer range but should give you a decent start. :t:

Thank you very much.I have been working with watercolors for sometime.But I have never done it professionally.I wanted a opaque medium and people suggested gouache as the best.I think mid range synthetics will suit me.How many brushes should I buy?:gh:
I think I need good paints.Because when the first one looks good it will be a good inspiration for me or vice verse.I can afford only about $200-300 for all.:-C

Following is a test watercolor paint by me on a horrible thin paper with a watercolor brand called Prebo and low quality round brushes(0,1,6).This just to judge me.I hope I can do better with better equipment.:-O

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/data/517/1001410_10201191702507289_829765835_n.jpg

Following is a test watercolor paint by me on a horrible thin paper with a watercolor brand called Prebo and low quality round brushes(0,1,6).This just to judge me.I hope I can do better with better equipment.:-O

You are already pretty proficient with a brush and paint and in no way a 'beginner', so I would go with the best tools and materials that you can afford. The budget that you have seems pretty good so you should be able to afford a decent selection. As you infer, the paper that you paint on is as important as the paint you use so don't forget this!

Prebo is not a brand that I'm familiar with; do you mean Pebeo?

You are already pretty proficient with a brush and paint and in no way a 'beginner', so I would go with the best tools and materials that you can afford. The budget that you have seems pretty good so you should be able to afford a decent selection. As you infer, the paper that you paint on is as important as the paint you use so don't forget this!

Prebo is not a brand that I'm familiar with; do you mean Pebeo?

Thank you very much.I have been doing this since several years. But the problem is that I never did it seriously. Yes I am trying to get the best set for my budget.If you do not mind would you please go through the list I prepared below.What should I add or omit?

*Brushes: W&N - Series 7 Kolinsky :-000(£6.99),2(£9.77),6(£32.99)
- Cotman Brushes :- Series 777 one stroke 1" (£19.95)
Series 667 Angled - Size 1/4" (£4.44)
SERIES 999 Synthetic Mop 3/4"(£18.47)
Cost of brushes=apprx £100/$137
I also found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINSOR-NEWTON-Cotman-Water-Colour-Brush-Wallet-Contains-10-Art-Brushes-/141182040877?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&var=&hash=item20df1afb2d

*Paints:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Winsor-Newton-Designers-Gouache-Paint-Primary-Colour-Set-0690174-/131087821917?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item1e85716c5d

*Surface:I've got no idea what to buy

I am sorry in previous post I meant pebeo.That is the watercolor I use.

Last edited:
For paper I've used 140lb watercolor paper and it works great. The opaque nature of gouache also lends itself to using colored papers like mi-tientes, IF it is mounted onto another board to prevent buckling during washes.

For paper I've used 140lb watercolor paper and it works great. The opaque nature of gouache also lends itself to using colored papers like mi-tientes, IF it is mounted onto another board to prevent buckling during washes.

Agree with Matty re supports. The surface texture ('tooth') is a matter of personal preference. A smooth-surfaced paper favours smaller, finely detailed work whereas a coarser 'tooth' is OK for larger more expressive paintings. Canson Mi-tentes - as with all lighter weight papers - definitely requires either stretching or mounting onto a thicker board before painting to prevent 'cockling'!

I haven't used Pebeo paints of any kind but their gouache seems to be quite favourably regarded from comments on the web. I'd be tempted to stick with what I know for the moment, have a play around with your new brushes and take it from there.

LL

I like Arches 140lb HP paper, which has a good balance ... absorbing well, with out having all the bumps in the way like a Cold Press paper. Lana also makes nice watercolor papers, but they are a bit softer in my experience and didn't handle liquid friskit as well.

I used to mount my mi-tientes paper to illustration board to prevent buckling. It worked pretty well, but occasionally the paper would still pull loose. That isn't an archival way to work though. At the time it didn't matter as they were illustration jobs and didn't need to last.

I agree with Rotherbirder, use the pebeo Paints and see how it goes. As long as you aren't limited by your materials/tools, are learning and having fun, then you are doing it right.

matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back