• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.4x converter for record shots (1 Viewer)

timmyjones

I've been looking at getting a 1.4x converter for my 7DmkII and 400prime set up but struggling to find decent reviews, basically I'm looking to see if it would help me nail record shots of something a bit more distant like over the sea, lots of reviews say loss of image quality so just crop but this is for 'proper' photography

What I'm asking is if I get a WBDiver flyby on a seawatch is a 1.4x converter on the above set up likely to help me out getting a better photo for IDing the bird or am I just better off sticking as I am and cropping?

It will give you a bit of extra reach and will render more detail on the subject, but the loss of one stop of light is an issue, especially in this country much of the time. In my view, handholding a 560mm f8 equivalent lens in low light won't give you great results, but maybe for id purposes it could work.

I tried a Canon MkIII 1.4 converter with my 7DII and 400/F5.6 before buying my Sigma 150-600 Sport. Apart from the drop-off in image quality I almost had time to make a cup of coffee while the lens focused with the extender fitted and it wasn't at all good on flight shots because of that.

I still have the extender, but I can't for the life of me explain why - it just sits in my jacket pocket in its pouch. In my view you're better off cropping.

Last edited:
I don't have the 400 F5.6 but I do find that my Canon 1.4 Mk3 extender works well with my 7D2 and 100-400 Mk2. The AF is still quite quick though not perfect for BIF - it will do it reasonably well.
I have tried the 400 F5.6 (I assume that is what the OP is using) and it's a pretty sharp lens so I would be surprised if it didn't give decent IQ with the 1.4. Naturally you will be operating at around F11 (to get the best sharpness) so decent light is needed.

I have tried the 7Dii with 400/5-6L and 1.4xIII and can not recommend it. There is a significant loss of sharpness in the pictures. Focusing is much slower (the camera hunts a lot) and you can only use the central focus points.

I have also tried it with 100-400 II, and it's better, but not good.

I'm quite disappointed with my converter, but I'm keeping it since my next camera will be either 5DIII or 5DIV, and according to what I've read, the converter will do a much better job there.

I've been looking at getting a 1.4x converter for my 7DmkII and 400prime set up but struggling to find decent reviews, basically I'm looking to see if it would help me nail record shots of something a bit more distant like over the sea, lots of reviews say loss of image quality so just crop but this is for 'proper' photography

What I'm asking is if I get a WBDiver flyby on a seawatch is a 1.4x converter on the above set up likely to help me out getting a better photo for IDing the bird or am I just better off sticking as I am and cropping?

Timmy
I reckon you'll have more success staying as you are. With a teleconverter your field of view is greatly reduced so its harder getting onto a moving target. You'll get more blurry shots as the shake is magnified with the greater focal length. Best stick with the 400 and crop - unless you're going to be photographing a bird sat on the sea and use a tripod!

Have you tried borrowing or renting one? that way, for a small fee you will be able to see if it meets your needs??

Good luck

Dear Tim,
I have the current Cannon 1.4 converter to go with the 7dmkii and the mkii 100-400.I did a series of tests using it,but in the end found that I was better cropping the basic 400mm images than using the added reach of the converter.In my view there was slight loss of sharpness with the converter.I thought that this might be due to camera shake-'age and infirmity'-but I then tried the rig on a tripod and it was no better. Using the rig as a point and shoot with fast enough shutter speeds I then also ran into the problem of noise.OK for a record shot,but not ideal even with good noise reduction software.I still carry the converter around,but haven't used it in ages!
Cheers,Tom.

Hi Tim.

The short version is, can you get improved ID photos using an extender? Absolutely, when you are aware of its pluses and minuses. I have attached some ID photos that I have taken with the extender including several birds in flight.

I am using the 7d mkii and a 100-400mm mki lens, (got a good savings buying it used and certified on a sale). I also have the Canon 1.4 mkiii extender. I initially was somewhat disappointed with it, especially considering the expense. However, I have learned that it is best used in certain situations and when used properly, it does do a very good job, especially for ID photos. If I wanted professional grade results, then I would spend many more Ducats on one of the really high end lenses. It is sometimes necessary to align the lens(es), camera system to get the sharpest images, but I did not have to do that, my extender mated up with no issues.

While the criticisms of the 1.4 extender are true to an extent at least, I would say that the extender is not without its merits. First of all, to be clear here, I am talking about the Canon 1.4 extender, not an after-market version. I have not tried any after-markets, but they might not do quite as good of a job of playing together with the other Canon equipment and sometimes you lose some of the automatic functions.

You do lose the one stop of light and as the light dims the auto focus does noticeably slow down. Also it is true that the narrower field of view does make it harder to acquire and track birds in flight. With practice, however, you do improve your skills at doing this. Also it does add some extra weight and length and so makes it even harder to avoid excessive camera shake which is also compounded by the additional magnification.

The advantages are that it does give you that extra reach. The 1.4 will actually double your apparent image size. That can be really important if you have a situation where you cannot get close enough using your feet for the best zoom. I have finally settled in on being aware that the extender is useful in good lighting conditions and where you expect to not be able to get up close enough for just the 400mm and crop method. I have found it especially useful for gulls, shorebirds, ducks, waders, etc. It is not really functional if it is overcast or if I am in woodland for instance. It needs lots of light to work well.

Attachments

• Black-Headed Gull.jpg
    Black-Headed Gull.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Common Greenshank.jpg
    Common Greenshank.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Eurasian Oystercatcher.jpg
    Eurasian Oystercatcher.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Great White Egret.jpg
    Great White Egret.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Saunder's Gull.jpg
    Saunder's Gull.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 106
if you are scope user then the cost of a canon converter maybe better spent on a suitable point and shoot for hand held digiscoped record shots.
Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back