• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pale eyed weaver, Bamako, Mali (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
I have got to grips with identifying most village and vitelline masked weaver here.

However there are a small number of pale eyed and small weavers I can't identify.

Here is one. Is it just a young vitelline masked weaver or something else?

All help gratefully recieved

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0059 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0059 (Large).jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0061 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0061 (Large).jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0070 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0070 (Large).jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0074 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0074 (Large).jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0076 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0076 (Large).JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 23
It looks indeed rather pale-eyed. Don't know if Vitelline Masked can have such a pale eye? I've never seen Heuglin's Weaver but on distribution this might be an option... I also checked for Black-headed Weaver but it should look different, e.g. shorter pp.
Non-breeding weavers are horribly difficult.

Thanks Roland.

From what I can find Heuglins Masked Weaver looks a good fit. I will investigate further. It's distribution seems to just reach Bamako but I also note it is distributed in places with very few birders so that might explain why help could be limted.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back