• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you tell which is better, need help (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

Can anyone give me opinion on which of these two might be the better performing binoculars? I realize many on here have much better quality gear but if you simply limited your choice to these two, is there any way to determine which might be better? Statisticly, they seem very similar except the Natureview Porro 8x42 is not waterproof, yet it retails for $160 whereas the 8x42 Legacy WP is waterproof yet retails for $106. I'd almost expect it to be opposite, the waterproof being more expensive, but not the case. That makes me wonder if there are other characteristics that make the Natureviews a better choice. I am asking because my old pair are being warrantied and I get to pick one or the other so alternatives don't work for me.

Also, not sure under what conditions the waterproof should matter but I suppose, if I planned to use them when its raining or if they should get dropping in water?? Same with fog proof, not sure under what conditions it would matter.

http://bushnell.com/products/binoculars/natureview/132000/

http://www.shopbushnell.com/detail/BSN+120842

Hi tealboy1,

You raise a good point.
The specs say the Legacy has a wider field of view and better eye cups (twist up vs fold down rubber), sacrificing a smidge of eye relief and a half ounce of weight. Sounds like an easy choice to me, at least before we hear from some experienced Bushnell users.

No personal experience with either, but I think you suspect correctly that all else being equal costs must be cut *somewhere* with the less expensive, waterproof binoculars.

All else may not be equal, though...note that manufacturers will sometimes heavily discount items that are being discontinued, etc. which is the sort of thing *could* be a factor here as well. For example I recently asked in this thread about 2 Nikon binoculars which are identical in specifications except color, and differ in price by $150 - the purple ones presumably didn't sell well and are being closed out.

Yes waterproof binoculars could be used in the rain without worry, and would probably be a better choice if you do any boating etc. - some folks even clean them under gently running tap water.

Fogproofing means the interior of the binoculars have been filled with some sort of gas to prevent internal condensation that can occur with rapid temperature changes.

Last edited:
The Nature view, is called the Nature View Plus and sells for $84.95 on another site. I always thought this series was cheaper than the Lagacy. Another site had the Bushnell Lagacy 8x42 WP for $57.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back