• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A comparative review between the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and Zen ED2 8x43 (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm no optical engineer, so I was describing my personal experiences with them in the field, used for hiking, bird watching, and for astronomy. I evaluated them based on what they let me see with my eyes, rather than get caught up in all the minutia.

Intjmastermind,

Welcome to BF bin forums!

Now you have an idea how obsessive we are about binoculars and what high standards we have for newbie reviewers! :) I hope that won't discourage you, but rather encourage you to dig a little deeper.

Having tried an ED2 (though not the 8x43 model) and a Monarch ATB (though not the 8x42 model), I could follow your observations, but your amplification might have helped others who have not tried these bins.

I've also read a gazillion reviews and usually can tell when a reviewer's personal preferences such as ergonomics, eye relief, sharp edges, better color saturation, etc. influences his final choice, which is 99% of the time.

The one exception being the reviewer who compared a Leica Ultravid and Swaro EL, and although he thought the EL had better optics, he chose the Leica because the "red dot" had more "cachet in the field" with other birders. Wish I could find that review in the archives, it's a classic!

Binoculars are very personal instruments, and there are a variety of factors that can make the user and the bin compatible or not, which often go well beyond which view looks better, and sometimes it does come down to what others might consider "minutia".

The hard, oversized eyecups on the old 820 Audubon were a deal killer for me, but not for others with flatter facial features. The "rolling ball" that many people don't even see was a "fatal flaw" for me with the full sized Nikon LXs/LXLs. Both had great optics but also "fatal flaws" that disqualified them.

So I can well imagine someone else comparing these same two binoculars and preferring the ergonomics of the open bridge design, the ED glass being a "make it or break it" feature, because he's more sensitive to CA than average, and liking the heavier weight of the ED2 because it keeps "bad vibrations from happenin' with her," and therefore him picking the ED2 hands down.

As Charles pointed out, the Monarch and the ED2 are two different "animals" (I heavily paraphrase). Zen's counterpart to the Monarch is the ZRS HD.

But it's also interesting to look at two different "animals" and compare them "fang and hoof," and that you did. Thanks for posting your observations.

I am surprised that no-one commented on the most important thing about your review, which is that when you give your girlfriend the Monarch, it's important to let her know you're giving her the better binoculars! :)

Brock

Last edited:
Intj,
Thank you much for the additional detail on the optics. Actually, I do respect an opinion that is not minutely critical, and I have to admit that I have a hard time singling out particular optical qualities myself. "The View" is complex, and maybe trying to overly dissect it is an unnatural thing.

But not trying at all to articulate what we see sometimes results in "hot one!" or "sucks!", informative for sure, but still leaving the reader thinking, what did the guy see? Anyhow, I think it is fun to make the attempt at articulation, and fun to read when others do the same.

I apologize to all whom my comments may have annoyed. It was rude to complain, when somebody was going out of their way to share something already. But see, you sounded like a regular optics nerd when pushed! I hope you enjoy your Zen. It seems like almost everybody does. It is frustrating that the stores around here don't carry the brand, I guess it's strictly a web and word of mouth thing.
Ron

Re: your comment: "The View" is complex, and maybe trying to overly dissect it is an unnatural thing".

Well, they have five highly opinionated women talking at the same time, so how can "The View" not be complex? And if there's anyone who can overly dissect an issue to the point of committing an unnatural act, it has got to be Barbara Walters! :)

No, I think we are okay, most of the time, at least. I occasionally have to take out my Little Orphan Annie decoding ring to decipher some reviews by mavens. But it's good to reach beyond your grasp and try to learn something new. Keeps the convolutions in your brain from flattening out.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back