• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

an interesting snippet i read the other day:
An appalling combination of fog and winds around England’s coast this week have created terrible conditions for migrating birds, with some fishermen reporting to the RSPB the deaths of many exhausted and disorientated ‘garden’ birds plunging into the sea around their vessels

is that what you do then bongo at night,freezing conditions,pitch black and out you go earwigging :t:

Don't tell the neighbours;)

an interesting snippet i read the other day:
An appalling combination of fog and winds around England’s coast this week have created terrible conditions for migrating birds, with some fishermen reporting to the RSPB the deaths of many exhausted and disorientated ‘garden’ birds plunging into the sea around their vessels

Sounds worrying, although many reports today of 'hundreds' of Redwings and Fieldfares, so hopefully conditions have improved.

8 LTTs passed through the garden today and a Blackbird foraging in the leaf litter.

Last edited:
I have had peanuts, fatballs and niger seed on offer for several weeks and re-introduced black sunflower last weekend.

What surprised me was the tits virtually abandoning everything else for the sunflower. I know it's been popular with them in the past but I would have thought the effort involved in flying off with individual seeds and then having to hammer away at them for a good two minutes would make the other food more attractive.

Goldfinches are rare here lately.

For several weeks our yards have been the quietest I've ever known them. Then this morning I looked out of my office window to see an odd bird on our fence. I went outside - to find 4 Eastern Bluebirds had flown in. That's a new bird for our yards!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• Bluebird.jpg
    Bluebird.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 53
Great picture^

Today has been non stop from sunrise.. Saw the Jay again that has been bouncing along the tree line every morning for about a week so I decided to haul a massive load of nuts on the ground. Low and behold 20 minutes later he is there feeding right infront of the window. Fantastic! 45 minutes later he is back again with another Jay.. Little while after that 3 jays.

About 8 or 9 Blackbirds, Wren, Dunnock, 7 Blue Tits, 5 long tailed tit, 4 Great Tits, Magpies (chasing away the jays). 6 Redwing again.. Was going to go for a walk and do some photography but luckily its all come to me today with nice sunshine.

On the downside I have already been out 4 times to chase away pos Cats hiding in the nettles.. Really bloody annoying.

Male Sparrowhawk on the pole at one end of the washing line today. Astounding bird.

In other news the Siskins have gone, still good numbers of Goldfinch and Starling, and two Robins staying out of each other's way. Three Rook in the garden last week, a new record count.

It's been months since I posted in this section but I do look in occasionally to see what's happening. A quick update on the birds in my garden. I had a count up yesterday over the space of one hour and we had: 8 Great tits, 4 Coal tits, 4 Blue tits, 2 GSWs, 4 Nuthatches, 2 Dunnocks, 3 Chaffinches,1 Robin, 2 Blackbirds, 4 Wood pigeons and 2 Pheasants. A few pictures below:

7993491466_c2a3bc4b8d_b.jpg 8055013008_fc32c1ce50_b.jpg

8138993739_628ae50c0a_b.jpg 8100689028_45d219871f_b.jpg

8090998235_0d02252aff_b.jpg

did one hour garden watch this morning,a few surprises, 1xgoldcrest,2xnuthatch, 1xbullfinch(m),2xchaffinch(m&f),2x goldfinch,1x mistle thrush,4xblackbirds(m&f),2xwrens,1xrobin,1x dunnock,1xcoal tit,4xgreat tit,3x blue tit,1xmagpie and 3xwood pigeon,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back