• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A comparative review between the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and Zen ED2 8x43 (1 Viewer)

Intjmastermind

A comparative review between the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and Zen ED2 8x43

Over the past few weeks, I’ve had the opportunity to evaluate both the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and the Zen-Ray Zen ED2 8x43 binoculars. In a sense, the comparison between these two binoculars represents a sort of David vs. Goliath match up. In one corner, we have the Nikon Monarchs, a solid binocular with a well-earned reputation and long history. In the other, Zen-Ray is trying to corner the market with a new design using all the latest technological advancements. This review will compare my personal experiences with the two binoculars under real-world circumstances.

1. Optics

A binocular has two purposes. The first is to magnify objects, that is obvious. Binoculars make small things bigger. The magnification is simply a ratio of focal lengths between the objective lens and the eye-pieces. Both the Monarchs and Zens are 8x binoculars.

However, their second role is just as, if not even more important. Binoculars make dim objects brighter. Large objective lenses allow binoculars to gather more light than the human eye, and advanced optical coatings ensure that the least amount of light possible is lost throughout the optical system. Both the Zens and Monarchs performed excellent in night-time conditions, on account of their fully-multicoated lenses and dielectric prism and roof coatings. Note that despite the “ED” glass in the Zens, their image was not any brighter than the Monarchs.

The Zens however, do have a larger FOV than the Monarchs. This is apparent when comparing the two side-by-side. The view through the Zens is more comfortable and natural due to its larger FOV.

However, the little bit of extra view at the extreme edge of the field did not really allow me to see anything extra. The gain in functionality was marginal at best due to large amount of edge distortion. In order to get a clear view, I had to move any object to the middle anyway.

Another issue was that the eye-cups on the Zens are too short at the full extension position for its eye-relief. If I placed my eyes into the eye-cups, the view was vignetted and full of blackouts. In order to clearly see the whole view, I had to hold the binoculars in front of my face, which was uncomfortable and unstable. The Monarchs had a much better design of eye-cup extension vs. eye-relief distance.

2. Ergonomics

I feel the Nikon Monarch has the edge here. It’s a much more compact binocular, and also much lighter. Although a couple of centimeters or a couple of ounces might not seem like a lot, when doing a side-by-side comparison, the Zens are definitely heavier and bulkier than the Monarchs. This is an important consideration when picking which binocular to take on a journey.

Another complaint with the Zens are the poor objective covers. The fit is rather loose, and when hiking with them on my neck, the objective covers would constantly fall off. Fortunately, because they are attached, the actual covers were never lost. Some might say that this is a relatively minor complaint, but I disagree. The ED2 is Zen-Ray’s flagship binocular, and poor attention to details such as loose objective covers reflects poorly upon the company as a whole.

The Monarchs are not entirely innocent of this either. The rainguard cover for the Monarchs is very loose and fits poorly. However, they won’t fall off in use due to their orientation when the binoculars hang off the neck.

The movement of the focus wheel and hinges have a nice smooth feel in both binoculars.

Aesthetically, the Monarchs have an understated, subdued design. They look “professional”, but not “fancy”. The Zens have a dramatic open hinge design, textured rubber hand grips, and an oversized focus knob. Also, the neck strap has ZEN-RAY in bright white and red text. While not ugly by any means, it almost feels like Zen-Ray is trying a bit too hard, and is at risk of having a “Mall Ninja” cool / tactical / military spec binocular image.

You only look through a binocular for short periods of time, but you’re carrying it around all the time. So while the Zen’s have better optics, the Monarch is the better binocular.

3. Conclusion

So the big question. Did the Zen ED2 8x43 best the Monarch ATB 8x42? The answer in short is “No”. The Zen’s optics are objectively superior, but not enough to clearly make them a better binocular. You won’t be able to see anything in the Zens that you can’t see just as well in the Monarchs. The Monarchs have the advantage of being lighter, more compact, and, in my opinion, a better aesthetic design.

In short, they are both excellent binoculars. My heart would pick the Monarchs, but my nerdy side likes the Zens. I’ll take the Zen ED2’s larger FOV and ED glass, and learn to tolerate its ergonomic and aesthetic faults. The Monarchs will make a nice gift for my girlfriend.

Last edited:
It's alway great to read an excellent, well balanced review like yours. Thank you. Just to clarify the expectation, the ED glass will not produce a brighter image. However, combining ED glass with long focal length design will help reduce the chromatic aberration to its minimum. We do recognize the need for a more compact, light weight design. Our ZRS HD binoculars with dielectric prism coating is designed for that purpose.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zrshd.html

Thanks

Charles

Last edited:
Hi Intjmastermind...There is a point ,though ,that I dont thing is right in your review,,You said that the first purpose of a binocular is to magnify things,and the second,almost as important, is to make dim things brighter,by carrying more light to the human eye than the eye would by itself....I dont think You are right in that statement...The binocular can bring ALMOST all available light to the eye,and create a very bright image ,by using all the combinations of coatings and glass(I think ED glass should contribute to this),but CANT illuminate a scene...thats why really good binoculars have light transmition ratios of 99% or whatever(not sure the higher percentage)..but i have not(YET)seen a binocular with a light trasmition index of 120% ,for instance..Maybe illuminated oculars,like the type used in Astronomy would allow this feature..

Last edited:
Intjmastermind,

Thanks for the nice evaluation.

Hi Intjmastermind...There is a point ,though ,that I dont thing is right in your review,,You said that the first purpose of a binocular is to magnify things,and the second,almost as important, is to make dim things brighter,by carrying more light to the human eye than the eye would by itself....I dont think You are right in that statement...The binocular can bring ALMOST all available light to the eye,and create a very bright image ,by using all the combinations of coatings and glass(I think ED glass should contribute to this),but CANT illuminate a scene...thats why really good binoculars have light transmition ratios of 99% or whatever(not sure the higher percentage)..but i have not(YET)seen a binocular with a light trasmition index of 120% ,for instance..Maybe illuminated oculars,like the type used in Astronomy would allow this feature..

Mayoayo,

With guidance from a forum member I've been trying to get my head around some of the optical principles surrounding binoculars.... and mostly failing.

I think it's possible you are both right.

From what I understand, if we borrow the terminology from out telescope/astronomy colleagues. What they call 'Apparent Surface Brightness' or intensity per area of our retina is constant (-transmission losses) regardless of whether we use binoculars or not. This can also be called illuminance (what the eye sees) or irradiance (in radiometric units). This is different from what they call 'Light Grasp' which is related to objective diameter. In practical terms Light Grasp can be measured (or calculated) against the ability of the eye to detect dim objects or what they call 'Magnitude'. That is a scale of star brightness. The Magnitude increases with the objective diameter (and magnification in practice). Don't ask me to explain the math, I'll leave that to the experts or Google it. For example here:
http://www.deepskywatch.com/telescope-calculator.html

So I think it mean that telescope/binoculars can't deliver any more 'brightness' than the naked eye can see, yet dim objects do appear 'brighter'. :eek!:

Any clearer ????

I'm still really struggling with this concept. I think the problem is a difference between the common usage of the term brightness and it's scientific meaning.

I'm very much a beginner here so forgive me if I've got anything wrong here, I'm sure others will correct me here.

David

Thanks for the reveiw. I bought the Monarch 8x42 ATB last summer. I rely entirely on posts such as this to make my decisions on what optics to buy as I have no way to look thru different glass. I was advised by several very knowledgable people to buy the Zen rays instead of the Nikon. Your reveiw makes me feel better about buying the Monarchs. I don't have any complaints other than the crappy lens covers.
I made my final decision to go with the Nikon because they were a time tested proven binocular. I definitely would like to do a side by side comparison with the Zen Ray ED, Theron ED and my Monarch just to see for myself. Probably not going to happen though.
Thanks for the reveiw and please keep them coming. Going to buy a spotting scope this year. While I am looking seriously at the celestron Regal 80 ED, the Zen Ray sounds VERY promising having better glass and with the annoucement of the 1.25 adapter, think the extra money may very well be worth it. Can't afford one of the Alphas so I am looking at "the almost as good at a much more affordable price" scopes.

Int...,
You had me going there on the Monarch, but in the end chose the Zen Ray, for something about the optics, but I didn't get what. You didn't mention certain qualities of the view like apparent sharpness in the center of the field, contrast or color saturation, unnatural color cast or lack of it, or color fringing on high contrast edges, that many of us feel are important. Is it some of those?, just guessing here.

Not to knock your enjoyable review otherwise. Everything you covered was very well done, I just feel you left something out.
Ron

Jeez Ron! He is new here. Give him a break.;)
Bob

BTW, do you think he has been here long enough to be an "optics obsessive?":-O

Last edited:
You had me going there on the Monarch, but in the end chose the Zen Ray, for something about the optics, but I didn't get what. You didn't mention certain qualities of the view like apparent sharpness in the center of the field, contrast or color saturation, unnatural color cast or lack of it, or color fringing on high contrast edges, that many of us feel are important. Is it some of those?, just guessing here.

Not to knock your enjoyable review otherwise. Everything you covered was very well done, I just feel you left something out.
Ron

Comes across as faint praise.

He looked through the binoculars and gave us an overall impression of the viewing. Such a summary is probably most useful for someone who intends to actually use the binoculars for observing wildlife in the field. I found it to be well written and informative.

Last edited:
Comes across as faint praise.

He looked through the binoculars and gave us an overall impression of the viewing. Such a summary is probably most useful for someone who intends to actually use the binoculars for observing wildlife in the field. I found it to be well written and informative.

Such as I. And it is well written. Thanks.

It's all business, thus it is only the EDG that prevents from using ED glass in the Monarchs. If they did, I would get a pair.

Int...,

Ron

Hi Ron, I guess this is why he picked the ZenRay ED. I read the very nice review quite a few times to figure this.

"I’ll take the Zen ED2’s larger FOV and ED glass, and learn to tolerate its ergonomic and aesthetic faults"

FOV and lack of or low CA compared to the "better binocular"

Last edited:
I'm with ronh. The review missed or maybe ignored every single solitary one of the Monarch's numerous optical shortcomings.

A comparative review between the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and Zen ED2 8x43

Over the past few weeks, I’ve had the opportunity to evaluate both the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and the Zen-Ray Zen ED2 8x43 binoculars. In a sense, the comparison between these two binoculars represents a sort of David vs. Goliath match up. In one corner, we have the Nikon Monarchs, a solid binocular with a well-earned reputation and long history. In the other, Zen-Ray is trying to corner the market with a new design using all the latest technological advancements. This review will compare my personal experiences with the two binoculars under real-world circumstances.

1. Optics

A binocular has two purposes. The first is to magnify objects, that is obvious. Binoculars make small things bigger. The magnification is simply a ratio of focal lengths between the objective lens and the eye-pieces. Both the Monarchs and Zens are 8x binoculars.

However, their second role is just as, if not even more important. Binoculars make dim objects brighter. Large objective lenses allow binoculars to gather more light than the human eye, and advanced optical coatings ensure that the least amount of light possible is lost throughout the optical system. Both the Zens and Monarchs performed excellent in night-time conditions, on account of their fully-multicoated lenses and dielectric prism and roof coatings. Note that despite the “ED” glass in the Zens, their image was not any brighter than the Monarchs.

The Zens however, do have a larger FOV than the Monarchs. This is apparent when comparing the two side-by-side. The view through the Zens is more comfortable and natural due to its larger FOV.

However, the little bit of extra view at the extreme edge of the field did not really allow me to see anything extra. The gain in functionality was marginal at best due to large amount of edge distortion. In order to get a clear view, I had to move any object to the middle anyway.

Another issue was that the eye-cups on the Zens are too short at the full extension position for its eye-relief. If I placed my eyes into the eye-cups, the view was vignetted and full of blackouts. In order to clearly see the whole view, I had to hold the binoculars in front of my face, which was uncomfortable and unstable. The Monarchs had a much better design of eye-cup extension vs. eye-relief distance.

2. Ergonomics

I feel the Nikon Monarch has the edge here. It’s a much more compact binocular, and also much lighter. Although a couple of centimeters or a couple of ounces might not seem like a lot, when doing a side-by-side comparison, the Zens are definitely heavier and bulkier than the Monarchs. This is an important consideration when picking which binocular to take on a journey.

Another complaint with the Zens are the poor objective covers. The fit is rather loose, and when hiking with them on my neck, the objective covers would constantly fall off. Fortunately, because they are attached, the actual covers were never lost. Some might say that this is a relatively minor complaint, but I disagree. The ED2 is Zen-Ray’s flagship binocular, and poor attention to details such as loose objective covers reflects poorly upon the company as a whole.

The Monarchs are not entirely innocent of this either. The rainguard cover for the Monarchs is very loose and fits poorly. However, they won’t fall off in use due to their orientation when the binoculars hang off the neck.

The movement of the focus wheel and hinges have a nice smooth feel in both binoculars.

Aesthetically, the Monarchs have an understated, subdued design. They look “professional”, but not “fancy”. The Zens have a dramatic open hinge design, textured rubber hand grips, and an oversized focus knob. Also, the neck strap has ZEN-RAY in bright white and red text. While not ugly by any means, it almost feels like Zen-Ray is trying a bit too hard, and is at risk of having a “Mall Ninja” cool / tactical / military spec binocular image.

You only look through a binocular for short periods of time, but you’re carrying it around all the time. So while the Zen’s have better optics, the Monarch is the better binocular.

3. Conclusion

So the big question. Did the Zen ED2 8x43 best the Monarch ATB 8x42? The answer in short is “No”. The Zen’s optics are objectively superior, but not enough to clearly make them a better binocular. You won’t be able to see anything in the Zens that you can’t see just as well in the Monarchs. The Monarchs have the advantage of being lighter, more compact, and, in my opinion, a better aesthetic design.

In short, they are both excellent binoculars. My heart would pick the Monarchs, but my nerdy side likes the Zens. I’ll take the Zen ED2’s larger FOV and ED glass, and learn to tolerate its ergonomic and aesthetic faults. The Monarchs will make a nice gift for my girlfriend.

I do like your review and I do have experience with your choices. Some considerations here for you and others do need to be mentioned.
For many users here, the brand and warranty should enter into a binocular purchase.

I agree with you, go with your heart, the Nikon Monarch, is just a nice lightweight optic, the Nikon warranty is a plus over the other, and if you like the eyecups and handling, go with it. As you mentioned, with a wider FOV like you referred to, if it is not usable, then what do you gain?

Some other posters may have other thoughts and are testers, with freebies.
So take some other posts with a grain of salt.

Jerry

I think he picked the one he liked best. That's pretty clear to me and who am I to argue with it. It is at least as scientific as the approach Bird Watcher's Digest used in it's last binocular ratings. Maybe more so.
Bob

I'm with ronh. The review missed or maybe ignored every single solitary one of the Monarch's numerous optical shortcomings.

I suspect that for the reviewer any optical differences came up as being inconsequential and detectable only in a very close A/B comparison. And not of any importance in the field.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm no optical engineer, so I was describing my personal experiences with them in the field, used for hiking, bird watching, and for astronomy. I evaluated them based on what they let me see with my eyes, rather than get caught up in all the minutia.

So to address a couple of the points brought up...

The Monarchs had a bit of chromatic abberation (CA). It was noticeable if I was looking for it, i.e. when viewing a branch against a clear sky, or against the bright limbs of the moon. However, the CA was minor, and I didn't feel that it detracted from the view at all. The Zens had little to no visible chromatic abberation, likely due to the ED glass and longer focal length design. So the Zens definitely came out ahead in CA, but the Monarchs aren't significantly inferior performance-wise. I haven't evaluated the 10x42 versions of either, but I'm assuming that the difference in CA might be a bit more exaggerated with increased magnification.

Sharpness at the center of field, color saturation, and absence of false color, were excellent on both pairs. The Zens and Monarchs both provided excellent views. So aside from chromatic abberation, Monarch owners aren't really missing out on anything here. I feel it's important to separate apparent field of view from quality of view. The Zens showed me a wider field due to their design, but what could be seen from the Monarchs was just as good as viewed from the Zens.

Also, to add a bit to my conclusion. I feel that the Zen ED2 and the Nikon Monarch really fulfill two different roles. The Monarchs are a more compact binocular, and in my opinion, slightly better built. However, the Zens have slightly better optics, in exchange for being bulkier and having some annoyances like short eye-cups and loose objective caps. I really wish I could say that one model is unequivocally better, but I really can't. If I could get the Zen ED2's optics in the body of the Nikon Monarch, that would be my ideal binocular. Or maybe if Zen-Ray came out with an ED3 that fixed the eyecups and covers, and maybe knocked a couple of ounces off the weight... But since I have to make a decision in the end, I decided to go with the Zen ED2's.

Last edited:
Intj,
Thank you much for the additional detail on the optics. Actually, I do respect an opinion that is not minutely critical, and I have to admit that I have a hard time singling out particular optical qualities myself. "The View" is complex, and maybe trying to overly dissect it is an unnatural thing.

But not trying at all to articulate what we see sometimes results in "hot one!" or "sucks!", informative for sure, but still leaving the reader thinking, what did the guy see? Anyhow, I think it is fun to make the attempt at articulation, and fun to read when others do the same.

I apologize to all whom my comments may have annoyed. It was rude to complain, when somebody was going out of their way to share something already. But see, you sounded like a regular optics nerd when pushed! I hope you enjoy your Zen. It seems like almost everybody does. It is frustrating that the stores around here don't carry the brand, I guess it's strictly a web and word of mouth thing.
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back