• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Updating Your Birding Journal - Key points? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

(I posted this in the wrong forum initially - bugger!)

I hope you can help. When noting down your bird sightings in your journal, What are the key points that you add to each sighting?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jean

I start each birding trips notes by logging date/weather and companions. I then list species seen/number/gender/age (if that is possible)/any notable activity.

In addition to location,time weather and wind direction and approx speed,I list all species seen,gender if known,number in flock size approx ,habitat if feedng,and in the case of raptors individual numbers seen.This information is for my benefit only but when I meet up with other birders I sometimes are able to help in providing locations and dates of paricular species seen.Hope this helps Eddy.

Great, thanks guys! On our new birding online journal platform we have:

Bird name:
Bird type:
Time spotted:
Number of birds:
Bird behavior:
Notes:
Upload photo:

Should we add any more than this or just keep it to the basics so that birders don't have to have the laborious task of adding every detail for the sighting?

Also, could anyone give me a list of 'Bird behavior' types that we should include i.e. feeding, mating etc? I would like a good list.

Appreciate your help.

Jean

Last edited:
Hello Jean,one thing I forgot to mention above was not to let the keeping of a journal interfere with your enjoyment of our pastime,this is the main reason why we go out there and we should not forget it.A possibility,that I do not use myself,is maybe to initially use a tape recorder to keep your notes and later transfer them to your computer. Eddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back