• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Holiday (1 Viewer)

Kernow Pete

Kernow Pete
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a detination in Europe or somewhere affordable to visit during June?

I look forward to your replys

Regards

Pete:t:

Hi folks, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a destination in Europe or somewhere affordable to visit during June? Pete:t:

Pete,
Almost anywhere in Europe in the weeks before the UK school holidays is cheaper than then, but with the increase in grandparents taking pre-school grandchildren abroad to the sun, the differential isn't what it used to be. Also, check beforehand on the dates of local festivals which make the prices shoot up and make accommodation scarce...:eek!:

In June, the migrants have reached their destinations and so you'll want somewhere that holds a good variety of breeding birds. I can think of one or two places, but do you drive, are you going on your own or with your family? All these factors have a bearing on 'affordable' - if you are on your own, you'll often need to pay a supplement for single accommodation.
MJB

Scandinavia would be past it's best by June (but still ok)

Never been to Eastern Europe but think you'd get a lot out of eg Poland at this time of year. Turkey could also still be quite good.

The island groups like the Canaries should be good - and not so hot as the North African countries. The endemics + rare seabirds.

Out of Europe (or WP), Gambia is cheap but not sure when is best to go.

As MJB, says it depends on what you're trying to get out of it/what type of birding you 'need' etc ...

I would strongly recommend Serbia. I was there on David Lindo's tour last April and it was unbelievable. So much so that I'm strongly considering going back this year. I think he's running it a month later this year, but Serbian Birdwatching may have other birding trips in June. And you're pretty much guaranteed to see lots and lots of Long-eared Owls...

If I remember correctly, the 8 day/7 night fully-guided trip cost me around £700 including flights from Heathrow.

Wales...Pembrokeshire and a June visit to Skomer Island with a trip to Dinas tagged on.
Might not be the most exciting location but the birding is good.

I would strongly recommend Serbia. I was there on David Lindo's tour last April and it was unbelievable. So much so that I'm strongly considering going back this year. I think he's running it a month later this year, but Serbian Birdwatching may have other birding trips in June. And you're pretty much guaranteed to see lots and lots of Long-eared Owls...

If I remember correctly, the 8 day/7 night fully-guided trip cost me around £700 including flights from Heathrow.

Just got the details of this summer's trip. It's a month later this year (May), but I'm shocked to see the price has increased from around £700-750 to £1150. It's still good value for money for what you get (compared with other guided tours), but that's a huge markup. I was considering doing it again this year and bringing my girlfriend, but now there's no chance.
|:(|

Further to my previous post, cheapie flight to:

1. Bratislava (Slovakia) or Vienna Schwechat (Austria), rental car to Illmitz area near Neusiedlersee, countless B&Bs, bike rental to cycle on flat countryside in 15km radius, car for Hungary reserves just over the border.

Pygmy Cormorant, Ferruginous Duck, Eastern Imperal Eagle, Moustached Warbler...

2. Budapest, rental car to Hortobagy, stay at Patkos motel (15km from Hortobagy reserve entrance, but with good birding close by); birding the Hortobagy reserve properly will take you a month!

The above species plus Red-footed Falcon, Roller, Long-legged Buzzard, Saker...
MJB
PS Expect temperatures in excess of 35C... Carry lots of water

Go bear-watching in Eastern Finland, its not cheap but it is amazing. Great birds, mammals, butterflies and dragonflies.

Not many people in the landscape, either.

John

Just got the details of this summer's trip. It's a month later this year (May), but I'm shocked to see the price has increased from around £700-750 to £1150. It's still good value for money for what you get (compared with other guided tours), but that's a huge markup. I was considering doing it again this year and bringing my girlfriend, but now there's no chance.
|:(|
Maybe they are increasing the number of sites to be visited, or the sites where you pay a "ticket" have increased the prices?
(I think the visit to the Griffon Vulture colony is very pricey, maybe it was recently added?)

Maybe they are increasing the number of sites to be visited, or the sites where you pay a "ticket" have increased the prices?
(I think the visit to the Griffon Vulture colony is very pricey, maybe it was recently added?)

I've just looked through the itinerary on the website and as far as I can see it's almost identical as last year's trip - and I can't remember many sites (if any) where a ticket or permit was needed. With the month difference in time I expect that the flights and accommodation might be a little more expensive, but I wasn't expecting such a huge difference. I paid a total of £688 including flights last year, so that's roughly a 60% markup this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back