• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding Black Grouse in Country Durham (1 Viewer)

Patchbirder

Hi All,

I have never seen Black Grouse before and since I am at Durham Uni for work mid February for a week, I was wondering if I could catch a look at a lek on the way home.

The last thing I would want is to be irresponsible by disturbing lekking sites myself or making them vulnerable through my own actions, but is there a way to access such information responsibly? If so, where? Upper Teesdale seems too large an area to just guess at.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Patchbirder

Langdon Beck. Contact the Durham bird club for details of where to watch. Birds used to be viewed from the road. Probably still the same.

As Mark says Langdon beck is the easiest and very reliable place to see them and they can be viewed usually well from the road without any disturbance.

There are usually Black Grouse on view at Langdon Beck almost year-round: they seem to become reclusive around October for some reason. Normally they can be seen from the main road just West of the Langdon Beck Hotel.

If you can't see them from there, drive up the side road that goes over the tops to St John's Chapel. Just over the first ridge is a wide rushy area that generally has a few in it. Stay in the car and you may get close views.

John

As has been said the main Lek at Langdon Beck is the best place to see them. They display early morning and then disperse to the fields bordering the Lek so you can usually see quiet a few though they've had a couple of poor breeding years so there's not as many as there were.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back