• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common vs dusky moorhen (1 Viewer)

Eric,
I am not real sure I get the gist of your question. They are different species. Perhaps what you want are their relative descriptions?

Eric,
I just took a stroll through some books. The two species have at times been viewed as being conspecific or as forming a superspecies. Currently, they are considered separate good species based mostly on the observation that they are sympatric in Wallacea without apparently producing intergrading populations in their points of contact. Indeed, chloropus seems to be excluding tenebrosa gradually in these zones of range overlap.

MountainMan said:
Hi to all,

Can anyone tell me the taxonomical difference between the Common Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) and the Dusky Moorhen (Gallinula tenebrosa) ? Physically both look very similar to me.

Common Moorhen
Dusky Moorhen

Thanks

Just from memory, the legs are different colours (predomninantly red on Dusky
and greenish on Common). The most noticeable difference though is the call - Dusky makes a really piercing squeal, quite different from any Comon Moorhen call. From your pics, it looks as though Dusky lacks the white flank streaks of Common. Not sure about other differences.

Dave

Thank you Steve and Dave for your inputs. It is very helpful as I was wondering how to tell the differences in the two species in the regions of overlap, and it's really interesting to know that, as Steve mentioned, "chloropus seems to be excluding tenebrosa gradually in these zones". Thanks again.

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back