• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grebe Wales (1 Viewer)

James S

Is this a red necked grebe? sorry for poor picture,taken in pouring rain,just after I dropped and lost shutter relise cable in the sea!
2 Grebes at Aber Dysnni,Tywyn.

Attachments

• DSC06396.jpg
    DSC06396.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 378
Hi James. Yes, this is a Red Necked Grebe. Not a Little Grebe, due to large bill and general structure being wrong for Little. It is facing the camera slightly, making it appear smaller, but the head is clearly rather large.

Jason

Last edited:
I see a little grebe here, but would like to see more photos if there are any as we know they can be misleading. Reasons for little - clear cap with buff cheeks, RN should have a more blurred demarcation with cheek smudgings, the bill is all pale, RN should have a distinct yellow base contrasting with the rest.

I'm sticking by RN Grebe. although 5 against 1 aint good! Have you got anymore pics James? You must have thought these were RNG for some reason?!

Heres a pic of a Red necked grebe for comparrison. Note head structure, which matches the bird in question, IMO.

Attachments

• RnGrebe_NY_Nov_KJM354aw_S.jpg
    RnGrebe_NY_Nov_KJM354aw_S.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC06396.jpg
    DSC06396.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 204
Heres a pic of a Red necked grebe for comparrison. Note head structure, which matches the bird in question, IMO.

The Eurasian Dabchick has "no" neck. It has no yellow bill base. It has a thickish short bill. I cannot see any similarity!! They are not even in the same genus. Both are grebes I suppose....

a

How weird! Just shows that the two can indeed look similar! Never occurred to me before!

To support the Little grebe camp, to me the bird looks large-headed and small-bodied - a classic combination for small birds. The shortness and thickness of the bill, along with the colour, also rule out Red-necked in my opinion.

RNG has a long, triangular head shape, this has a bumpy look to it.

All scientific stuff, the way I identify birds.

Sean

Hi lewis20126. Chill out, yeah?

I think I may be reading too much into the angle here, and no-one else can see it, so I'll let it go.

I cant help wondering why the photographer questioned the birds in the field though. There almost impossible birds to confuse (unless its a funny angled pic of the bird sitting low in the water that is... :p)

Jason

I'm sticking by RN Grebe. although 5 against 1 aint good! Have you got anymore pics James? You must have thought these were RNG for some reason?!

i agree you j ,it looks to heavy to be a little grebe:t:

Bugger, looks like your all stacking up against me! Well, I gotta go to work. I expect you all to have changed your tunes by the time I get back ;)

Jason

ps thanks Ian

I think it's a "hybrid Little × Red-necked Grebe", just like that "Pied-billed Grebe" in the Netherlands a month ago... I'm kidding (I'd bet on Little), but with such pictures, anything is possible apparently!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back