• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Combined Manual-Auto Discovery (1 Viewer)

cdninva

Wondering if others have had similar findings: Newbie's new gear:

- Optics: Kowa 774 (straight) + DA10 adapter + Canon 50mm Mk1 f1.8 + 30D.
- Support: Carbon fiber tripod + pan head + D3 H-bracket

In two days at the park, I haven't gotten good focus or contrast on squat, whether a bird or a tree; even a woodpecker 30 ft away looked worse than if through a cheap zoom. It wasn't so much motion blur - I'm using remote and mirror lock - just inability to focus, period. (Scope alone looks fine.)

Today I put a mini-poster of 1951 resolution targets on a tripod in our parking lot. Same results, piss poor - until I took the DA10 adapter off, and swapped to my old "kit" 17-55. It's not an internal focus lens either, but now had physical room to focus and/or adjust focal length a bit.

I'd do as follows:

- Set the lens at 55, fully macro or infinity, up against the eyepiece;
- Focus the scope
- Shoot in MF
- Turn AF on, press half-way and confirm AF locked on
- Turn AF off, and shoot again.

More often than not, that second shot was a massive improvement as the lens front backed away from the eyepiece up to 1 mm. I could read "1951", no more than 1/8" high, from 50 ft at ISO 400, 800, even 1600 after dusk.

I am wondering if you folks with SLRs or especially P&S find this kind of combo-focusing useful.

Although more testing is to come, I'm also concerned about that 50mm Mk I. When I autofocus with it, the inner elements jump up with a "clink". It's not an image-stabilized lens. 'Also has a fair amount of dust in it, though no fungus. Suspect, you think?

- Chris in Virginia

Combined MF-AF

IMG_2254.jpg
IMG_2255.jpg

Roger Joel and Richard,

This target is about 3" square from 66 ft away at 50mm x 20 x 1.6.
1/125, f/5.6, ISO 400, AV Mode.

My understanding from Clay as well was that AF isn't supposed to make that huge a correction, but as you can see, here AF-ing on the eyepiece image did, though it's still not great. Thing is, I can't fine-focus the scope much better without hawk eyes at this distance.

I may be asking a lot, but I bought the scope to reach where my 100-400 and 1.4x definitely can't. 'Not quite there yet.

I found today that the jarring in my 50mm was actually the lens front butting the eyepiece rim in AF with the adapter off.

I also bit the bullet on a 7D and Hoodman, so I'll see whether technology has made Richard's life that much easier.

- Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back