• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight Tripods! (1 Viewer)

Osprey

I need to buy a tripod as an xmas present. The problem is it's for the better-half who is of a very slight in build, so therefore requires a "sturdy lightweight" tripod.

I'm sick to death of her old antiquated velbon collapsing at the vital moment. Anyway all the tripods I've seen weigh in at 2kg or above, does anyone know of a decent model weighing less? BTW I don't want to spend silly money on a carbon fibre gismo, her 'Scope didn't cost as much as those.

Price range £50-100 Max.

Osprey

Manfrotto 390B

Great little lightweight/portable tripod. I use it only on long walks and long days in the field. It is available from Ace Optics for £75 at:

www.acecameras.co.uk

Select binocular/scopes pages and then select Tripods/Accessories on the left hand side of the page.

If your better half uses a zoom eyepiece on his scope, overall, I have found that a standard tripod (I have the latest Velbon) with a good scope strap is best. I have a Slik lightweight tripod and, frankly, it's not very good.

Have you considered a monopod or hide clamp for those times when the tripod is inconveniently heavy or bulky? That said, I think if you call in to a good local camera you will find a good choice of lighter weight tripods - a small independent shop will probably give far better advice in my experience. Best of all take the scope with you. Needless to say, the pan/tilt head needs to be very well made and solid when locked. I find that a pan/tilt head with no damping in the movement and which uses a single twist locking grip is the easiest to use.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have a Cullmann 2800. Its very light and has a nice action. It comes with an integrated monopod. It gets a wee bit wobbly with a big scope on it though.

I swear by the combination of a small scope and shoulder-pod btw.

I've got a cullman shoulder-pod which i've used with a TS601 and found it works well. It feels like aiming a gun.
I'm about to go for a small scope. e.g. an Opticron IS60 or something. That might be even better.
Steve.

me too Steve
cullman with a 613
obviously you need a big tripod too on occasion but I hardly ever use mine now
a friend of mine used the 50mil Kowa abroad and was impressed (not great optically but very small and serves the purpose well enough)

I use an old Nikon fieldscope.... Its superb for overhead passage. I'm particularly attached to it becuase just about the first time I used it in the field I focused on a flock of twite, just because using the combination was a novelty and an olive-backed pipit ran into my view!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back