• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zuiko Digital 50-200 mm 1/2.8 - 3.5 SWD (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
I ordered the lens. I will use it with the 1.4X teleconverter for birding and without it for macro photos. There is someone how use it with the 2X teleconverter? Thank you for help.

Last edited:
A very good choice Cristian. It is meant to be an excellent lens. Hopefully it should be a lot quicker and quieter when it focuses than the 70-300. I have read some posts on the dpreview forums, where people use it very successfully with the EC-14 and also with the EC-20 with good results.

I have been considering buying one myself but the price in the UK has recently rocketed from around £800 to over £1000, so I will have to wait for the moment.

I look forward to seeing the results you get from yours.

Ron

Congratulations Cristian. I have had this lens for almost a year now and it's a cracking lens. I bought the EC-14 converter to use with it about 2 months ago, and it's hardly ever off the lens, even for macro shooting. From what I've read, the EC-20 works ok in good light, and gives the sharpest results at around F8, but you lose 2 stops of light with it.

When shooting close subjects like butterflies I leave the EC-14 on, as the lens's close focus distance of 1.2m remains the same; though you gain 40% extra magnification. This is important, as the 50-200 SWD's macro function on its own isn't comparable to your 70-300 unless you add an extension tube, converter or a close-up lens such as a Canon 500D achromatic lens to the front (like a high quality screw-on filter).

I have been considering getting either the extension tube, or the Canon 500D (both around the same price) but haven't yet bought either as I'm not sure which would get me closest. To get an idea of its close-up ability, here's a photo of a Green Hairstreak butterfly taken recently with the EC-14 & 50-200SWD, at around the closest focussing distance.

http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery19&start=13

Also, another three recent pictures from Spain, all with the EC-14 attached. All three are cropped quite heavily (to half the original size or less).
Enjoy the lens when it arrives.

Steve

Attachments

• Azure-winged Magpie, Extremadura, April 2009 021.jpg
    Azure-winged Magpie, Extremadura, April 2009 021.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 533
  • Lizards, Extremadura, April 2009 021-1.jpg
    Lizards, Extremadura, April 2009 021-1.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 448
  • Copy of Bee Eaters, Extremadura, April 2009 033.jpg
    Copy of Bee Eaters, Extremadura, April 2009 033.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Thank you for your answer and for the attached pics Steve. I will also consider buying an extension tube in the future. For the moment, I will use this new lens (I hope that I will receive it in 8-10 days) with EC-14. I will also consider buying the EC-20 converter in the future, but for the moment, I would like to buy a better zoom lens for portraits and lanscapes (probably Zuiko Digital 14-54 mm 1/2.8 - 3.5). Now I have the kit lens 14 - 42 mm and I'm not very pleased with it.
As long lens I will use the 70-300 lens with EC-14. I'm pretty sure that with 50-200 lens + EC-20 the results will be better, but I don't have money to buy all these gears now. So, for the extension tube and for EC-20 I will wait some time (saving some money).

Last edited:
I received the lens and I've done some tests. I used the new lens with my E-520 and the EC-14 converter. Unfortunately it was a windy afternoon, so I would say that these tests are not very relevant. When I took pics with flying birds I perceived an obviously improvement (I've taken good pics with flying birds with my old 70-300, but without a converter. When I've added the EC-14 the results weren't sharp enough.)
This is a good one (I would say) from section "birds": http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/254141/ppuser/54311
For some butterflies see: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142700

Last edited:
I shoot a lot of bee macro with the ZD 50 and the 50-200 EC1.4 combo,, I find the 50-200 and 1.4 is very good and it keeps my working distance reasonable,, the below photo was with the 50-200 and EC1.4,, 50-200 is not SWD,,

I have not ever used the EC2 but have seen some photos taken on a ZD 150mm Oly and you can see the impact,, would like to give it a try but am certainly happy with the current set up,,

E3 - Bogen 3046 tripod and 3063 head - Nikon SB24 strobe on tripod sidearm mount,,

Derry

Attachments

• along came a spider.jpg
    along came a spider.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Derry, have you ever tried the 25mm extension tube, and if so, how much magnification does it give in relation to the EC-14 (when fitted to the 50-200) ?

I am getting more interested in macro work, and while the 50-200 and EC-14 gives excellent results for larger butterflies and dragonflies, the smaller butterflies and damselflies are a little too small in the frame and need some cropping to get a half-frame picture with lots of detail. This results in the image losing some resolution which is a problem for me.

I have considered the ZD 35mm Macro lens and don't mind the close working distance (of around 5-10cm from the front element) as I find that damselflies and smaller bugs are less easily frightened than the larger ones. The 35mm macro might be too short compared with the ZD50 f2, but I could use it with the EC-14 to get similar magnification (but less fast). It's also considerably cheaper, but allows greater magnification.

I've looked on the Four Thirds Photo site, but can't find an answer to my question. I've also considered buying a Canon 500D close-up lens, but can't find anywhere to try out and compare each combination.

Any help with this would be gratefully received,

Steve

The attached shot is about as close as I can get with my current combination. It is cropped about 20%. This is a medium sized butterfly with a wingspan of 4-5cm. I'd like to be able to get half frame shots of butteflies around half this size.

Another lens that can do good close-ups would be good to tide me over as I will soon have to send my 50-200SWD in for repair again as it is getting very stiff for second time in 5 months-unless they just replace it under warranty!
ISO 100
F5.6
283mm
1/50 second

Attachments

• Marsh Fritillary, Finglandrigg Wood, 26-5-09 005.jpg
    Marsh Fritillary, Finglandrigg Wood, 26-5-09 005.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Steve, never have tried the extension tubes with current digital gear, only in my film days,, I have an Oly bellows with the OM 3.5 macro and OM 50mm 1.8 that covers my needs for the really close photos,, takes far more work though at that level,, don't know which 4/3 site you were asking on but give a try on this one in the discussion area,, have found many users of a variety of gear,, http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/

I also use a Canon 500d on my 35-100 which is a great combination,, they both are very good pieces of equipment offering considerable flexability in the macro field,,

Derry

Thanks Derry. Just how much difference does the 500D make compared to the lens on its own? Any chance of a couple of comparison shots? That would be much appreciated and might help me decide.

Thanks again,

Steve

Great pic Steve. Hmmm, 1/50 seconds - did you use a tripod?

Yes, I almost always use a tripod to take insect shots. I just can't hold it steady enough to get maximum sharpness without one, especially a long lens like the 50-200 with EC-14.

The picture was actually taken late afternoon in fairly overcast conditions. I often find the mid-day sun too harsh, but there is a price to pay. At F5.6 and 1/50 second, depth of field (and sharpness!) suffers-as you can see on the left edge of the wing.

The image was slightly sharpened in Picasa, and contrast/colours enhanced a little too.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, comparison of the 35-100 with and without the 500D,,

just had some surgery so not up to a lot of working but ya can see the difference the 500D makes,,

sorry the DVD front is not aligned perpendicular and was shooting at f2 on both so DOF is fairly minimal,,

photo under fluorescent light,, the lens bare offers superb sharpness and resolution,, very hard to find any fault with the 500D attached,,

closes focusing distance from the DVD to the front of the lens

35-100 = 40 inches

35-100 & 500D = 13 inches,,

Derry

Attachments

• 35-100 close up.jpg
    35-100 close up.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Canon 500D.jpg
    Canon 500D.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
I took some more test shots with my new lens plus EC-14. Late in the afternoon, overcast. ISO 400, Av, EV + 0.3.

Attachments

• P5298685m.jpg
    P5298685m.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 363
  • P5298734m.jpg
    P5298734m.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 251
  • P5298737m.jpg
    P5298737m.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 231
  • P5298778m.jpg
    P5298778m.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 365
  • P5298817m.jpg
    P5298817m.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 334
Cristian, almost missed the bird in that photo,, good catch,,

from the looks of the photos you have posted, when the sun is out you will really be loving the lens and EC,,

Derry

Hi Derry,

A better view of the same bird here:
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/254618/ppuser/54311

I forgot to say that I uploaded two pics with the wagtails in my gallery:
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/254617/ppuser/54311
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/254616/ppuser/54311

And this is my first attempt to take pics with a damselfly with the new lens. It was windy and overcast and I didn't use a tripod, so it isn't a very good one.

Attachments

• P5298680m.jpg
    P5298680m.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Some very nice shots Cristian. Those two Wagtail images are excellent.

Do you find the new lens is quieter than the 70-300 when it focuses? I find with the 70-300, when I am taking flight shots, if I miss the bird the lens goes through the entire focusing cycle which makes a loud whining noise. I am very conscious that this could be extremely annoying to other people around who are just looking at birds. Sometimes I avoid trying for flight shots for this very reason.

Ron

Hi Ron,

The new lens is quieter indeed.
About taking pics with birds in flight with this new lens - I have to say that I don't have a relevant experience (I took a very few pics with flying birds). Some attempts here (not the best settings, I would say...).

Attachments

• P5268376m.jpg
    P5268376m.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 302
  • P5268525m.jpg
    P5268525m.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 335
  • P5268530m.jpg
    P5268530m.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 229
  • P5268556m.jpg
    P5268556m.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 252
Steve, comparison of the 35-100 with and without the 500D,,

just had some surgery so not up to a lot of working but ya can see the difference the 500D makes,,

sorry the DVD front is not aligned perpendicular and was shooting at f2 on both so DOF is fairly minimal,,

photo under fluorescent light,, the lens bare offers superb sharpness and resolution,, very hard to find any fault with the 500D attached,,

closes focusing distance from the DVD to the front of the lens

35-100 = 40 inches

35-100 & 500D = 13 inches,,

Derry

Thanks for posting these Derry. It gives me a far better idea of what is possible with the 500D.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back