• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8D at Photokina? (1 Viewer)

Chris Galvin

I've just noticed that the 7D now has an £80 Cashback Offer on it. This is the first significant step toward the £1000 mark since launch of the 7D. Usually the camera bodies have Cashback Offer on them when there is a new body on the horizon, which poses the question, is there to be a new body launched next month at Photokina to go with the 200-400?

I've just noticed that the 7D now has an £80 Cashback Offer on it. This is the first significant step toward the £1000 mark since launch of the 7D. Usually the camera bodies have Cashback Offer on them when there is a new body on the horizon, which poses the question, is there to be a new body launched next month at Photokina to go with the 200-400?

Now that would be nice the 7d has been a great camera but its about time for a update of this model.
Rob

Since Canon have just released their firmware update for the 7D I'd be inclined to think a replacement is a way off yet.

Would be great if there is one on the way. I do love my 7D it's a great little camera, but it's time for something that deals with noise - hopefully we will see that in the 8D - if and when it comes!

Canon Rumours website states:

EOS Body
There is next to no talk about a new EOS body for Photokina. The next camera will be a smaller full frame camera, when is still the question.

i think the key for canon is price.as far as i see it the 1dx is overpriced and a new full frame would have to be priced correct ,nikon have some better spec cameras ..and who is goin to use such hi iso lol

Since Canon have just released their firmware update for the 7D I'd be inclined to think a replacement is a way off yet.

I keep reading this and it still doesn't make any sense.

If there were a 7D MkII almost ready to go then it seems logical that it would have lots of the features found in the firmware update for the MkI. It would be very little work to adapt the 7DMkII's firmware to work with the MkI. That would boost sales of the MkI at just the time one might expect sales to slow, not least because of the expected launch of the MkII.

Of course, if this were the situation then Canon's sales would be boosted by allowing the rumour "new firmware, therefore no 7D MkII" to spread.

I keep reading this and it still doesn't make any sense.

If there were a 7D MkII almost ready to go then it seems logical that it would have lots of the features found in the firmware update for the MkI. It would be very little work to adapt the 7DMkII's firmware to work with the MkI. That would boost sales of the MkI at just the time one might expect sales to slow, not least because of the expected launch of the MkII.

Of course, if this were the situation then Canon's sales would be boosted by allowing the rumour "new firmware, therefore no 7D MkII" to spread.

Agreed

Agreed as well - a 7DMII would have to bring new hardware to the table and honestly most of the features that the 7D firmwire upgrade enabled were fairly simple firmwire tricks and features which were present on other lower tier camera bodies like the 60D and whatever Rebel we are now onto. Things like limits on auto ISO and the manual volume recording control were key features in newer DSLRs and it was odd that canon left the higher level 7D without those features added to it for so long.

The only big change is the increased RAW buffer size - and honestly I'd expect a 7DMII to have significantly more than just an increased buffer size over the 7D ;)

As for the death of crop sensor - it could easily happen. FF is always held as the "higher level" over crop for most applications barring sports and wildlife - plus with high MP fullframe cameras now able to crop much more significantly the justification for a crop sensor itself is dwindling. That said I'd expect the larger entry level market to keep the crop sensor if just to keep silicon production costs down on the mass market appeal cameras.
Heck look at the 5DMIII - everything the 7D has plus the option to not crop and get a wider angle of view ;).

Well I actually hope the rest of you are right and there is a new 7D on the way. I would take a serious look at it.
It just strikes me that Canon have spent money on new firmware for the existing 7D. If they intended to replace it any time soon would they have done that? E.g. the 5D2 didn't get any firmware upgrades, it came out at more or less the same time as the 7D and now we have the 5D3. The 1D4 could have been enhanced by a firmware update to enable centrepoint AF. It wasn't and now there is the 1DX instead. That's why I think we'll not see a replacement for the 7D announced this year. I would be happy to be proved wrong.

I would be quite happy with full frame if it had around 40mp that would alow some serious crops
Of cause then theres the storage problem computer speed etc. 20mp on a 1.6 would be great :)
Rob.

Actually considering the price of a high end Canon DSLR I'm surprised that they don't release more firmwire updates to the units. Consider that many computer hardware components cost as much or less and yet will get regular updates to their software for a long while after release.

I see no reason why Canon can't do the same and I think its a great pain that they treat the DSLR like a disposable camera, albeit a very expensive one, but still one that they expect you to dump and upgrade from. You can see this when new flash units come out, but only certain camera models get firmwire updates to communicate with them - with even one generation back models being left out.

Just been on a holiday where there was another photographer shooting a Nikon D800E with a 500 f4. The results were superb and allowed him to heavily crop, the results of which more than match the results from my 7D + 400. The downside seems to be limited continuous shooting speed and slow buffer and mediocre noise control for a full frame camera. Results using full frame were frankly amazing.

I am sure Canon will bring out an equivalent fairly soon (there are rumours to that effect on the various sites) plus a strong rumour of a Canon 6D full frame 24 mp very soon. I think Canon may well keep crop factor as a cheaper low end line then run an extended full frame line up. In other words perhaps the end of the 7D line. Time will tell.

Canon 6D announced today with 24mp full frame but only eleven focussing points of which only one is cross type.
My hope is that a rumoured 39mp full frame possibly in the shape of a 3D comes out fairly soon, that would tempt me assuming noise levels are not too high or noise level reduction does not remove too much fine detail. Oh, and good dynamic range. Otherwise I will stick with my 7D.

Canon 6D announced today with 24mp full frame but only eleven focussing points of which only one is cross type.
My hope is that a rumoured 39mp full frame possibly in the shape of a 3D comes out fairly soon, that would tempt me assuming noise levels are not too high or noise level reduction does not remove too much fine detail. Oh, and good dynamic range. Otherwise I will stick with my 7D.

Well almost. It's a more modest 20MP.

I can't understand this obsession for FF at the mo. With an FF sensor you pay more severe penalties in centre, edge and border sharpness than you do with APS-C and FF lenses, even more so when using TC's and for us in the Wildlife game it's not what we want (FOV is not an issue more often than it is). Add to that the MP they're putting in them now and you're out-resolving all but the absolute cream of lenses.

Show me a APS-C body laid out like the 7D but with 15/16MP, AF system like you have in the 5DMKIII and good noise performance that has a CF slot and an SD slot plus all the other stuff we'd expect and I'll get saving now so long as it's less than £2500.

Well almost. It's a more modest 20MP.
Show me a APS-C body laid out like the 7D but with 15/16MP, AF system like you have in the 5DMKIII and good noise performance that has a CF slot and an SD slot plus all the other stuff we'd expect and I'll get saving now so long as it's less than £2500.

Sorry about the 20MP

Your ideal camera sounds great, the way they always push MP is frustrating when they could improve all the other parameters instead. I am afraid your camera is not going to happen though. :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back