• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 6.5x32 MeoPro (1 Viewer)

Meopta has had an active presence in the USA since the 1990's. It has a plant located in Happague, Long Island, NY which employs 125 people.

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/history-1.html

Note that Meopta said in thread 18 above that they use Schott Glass which is part of the Carl Zeiss Foundation. If you google Schott Glass USA you will find that there are 11 Schott Glass plants in the USA and Canada. There are 3 in Pennsylvania alone.

http://www.us.schott.com/english/locations.html

Bob

Last edited:
Has anyone tried this binocular at 'well below freezing' temperatures ?

I find the 6.5x32 spec very handy and useful, however my existing Viking 6.5x32 MD didn't pass the freezer test and I am considering an addition for very cold weather use.

I am considering an addition for very cold weather use.

Don't blame you, considering the UK forecast, I read yesterday that this winter is predicted to be the worst since 1947. Let's hope this is another occasion when they are wrong.

Thanks, Ben, I'd missed that ! In fact I relish the Winter and had a very good one last year, although I do appreciate that you can have too much of a good thing.

I already have a couple of good cold weather binos (higher spec / higher mag) but am considering a winter addition in 6.5x32. Regretably the Meopta isn't widely available here, the only seller on AmazonUK is in Germany and I think my nearest stockist is in Warwickshire.

Suggestions appreciated.

Has anyone tried this binocular at 'well below freezing' temperatures ?

I find the 6.5x32 spec very handy and useful, however my existing Viking 6.5x32 MD didn't pass the freezer test and I am considering an addition for very cold weather use.

Hello Samandag,

I have used this binocular in -4ºC weather with no problem. In my effort to be as complete as possible, but not to go too far, I put the glass in my freezer, say -20ºC, for fifteen minutes, with no appreciable change in focussing. My guess is that the insides of the binocular may have reached -10ºC, but that is a guess.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Just taking a look at this binocular online for the first time.
Boy, it looks real nice.
Look at the beautiful wool case it comes with; nice accessories.
Jeez...now I want it! I'm sure the image is nice and bright with
nice DOF. That weird exterior design looks like it could have a nice
fit in the hands.

But, alas I really don't need it.

Attachments

• Meostar case.jpg
    Meostar case.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 118
Hello Samandag,

I have used this binocular in -4ºC weather with no problem. In my effort to be as complete as possible, but not to go too far, I put the glass in my freezer, say -20ºC, for fifteen minutes, with no appreciable change in focussing. My guess is that the insides of the binocular may have reached -10ºC, but that is a guess.

Happy bird watching,

Thanks, Arthur, a very useful observation. My freezer test for the Viking was 12 hours in a domestic freezer at about -20ºC, would you care to go the extra mile with the Meopta and let us know ?

I guess that with a wool case (Annabeth) it may well be freeze proof ?!

All the very best y'all

I have my limits

Thanks, Arthur, a very useful observation. My freezer test for the Viking was 12 hours in a domestic freezer at about -20ºC, would you care to go the extra mile with the Meopta and let us know ?

I guess that with a wool case (Annabeth) it may well be freeze proof ?!

All the very best y'all

Hello Samandag,

In a word: no. You will have to wait for somebody who tests binoculars to extremes. Your test makes possible, damage to the binocular, perhaps water vapour freezing and doing harm.
My most extended, truly chilling, bird watching was at -14ºC. I have no intention of being out for a long time, in any weather colder than that.

Happy bird watching,

Just taking a look at this binocular online for the first time.
Boy, it looks real nice.
Look at the beautiful wool case it comes with; nice accessories.
Jeez...now I want it! I'm sure the image is nice and bright with
nice DOF. That weird exterior design looks like it could have a nice
fit in the hands.

But, alas I really don't need it.

You're right it is a nice little bino, certainly better than everything else I looked at for 200 or so dollars. I have mixed emotions on the case and strap though, I will try and post pics of what I got but I am not sure I'd call it wool.

One thing it does come with as a camera adapter for an Iphone that works quite well especially since these binos focus down to about 3ft. That's next on my list of things to play around with.

You're right it is a nice little bino, certainly better than everything else I looked at for 200 or so dollars. I have mixed emotions on the case and strap though, I will try and post pics of what I got but I am not sure I'd call it wool.

One thing it does come with as a camera adapter for an Iphone that works quite well especially since these binos focus down to about 3ft. That's next on my list of things to play around with.

Darn it...you shouldn't have told me about that iPhone
adapter. Now I'm thinking of buying it lol. Next season
I want to learn more about butterflies and dragonflies.
This looks like a great bin for this and warbler watching.

Are they selling it with a wool case now? Mine came in a black cordura sleeve with a magnetic clasp. High quality, but very form fitted. Somewhat tough to get the bin in and out. On the other hand, Annabeth, it's got eye relief to spare!

Hello Samandag,

In a word: no. You will have to wait for somebody who tests binoculars to extremes. Your test makes possible, damage to the binocular, perhaps water vapour freezing and doing harm.
My most extended, truly chilling, bird watching was at -14ºC. I have no intention of being out for a long time, in any weather colder than that.

Happy bird watching,

Thanks, Arthur, I had taken that into consideration.

When I bought the binocular I just took for granted that it had been repeatedly dry nitrogen purged and then sealed and that the level of internal moisture would be unmeasurably low. This is an important consideration for manufacturers as many users will leave their binos exposed to sunlight or heat, perhaps left out on a table or in the car, thus potentially allowing problems with internal condensation to arise.

I guess if I didn't think that it had been purged and sealed I wouldn't have bought it, although admittedly the warranty is only 5 years, so it is essentially a disposable working tool. Despite the lack of freezing resistance it is a good one, or at least of perceived good value to me.

I don't think that this is an issue ; I'm not one of those who sits clutching his peanuts with anxiety !

Last edited:
Annabeth, it's got eye relief to spare!

Well, I just purchased it from optics4birding through Amazon.
I did some thinking last night and realized this could be a nice
little niche binocular for me; good for butterflies and warblers
with a nice stabilized image due to the low power. I'll let
y'all know how I like it.

Well, I just purchased it

That didn't take long then ! And I hope you like it, it looks like a nice piece.

Best price here is $417.00 (including 20% sales tax within the European Union) !

The Viking 6.5x32 MD still looks a bargain here at the reduced price of $163.00 (originally $417.00) despite it's rather utilitarian appearance. An ugly duckling but it's all in the view.

Last edited:

That didn't take long then ! And I hope you like it, it looks like a nice piece.

Best price here is $417.00 (including 20% sales tax within the European Union) !

The Viking 6.5x32 MD still looks a bargain here at the reduced price of $163.00 (originally $417.00) despite it's rather utilitarian appearance. An ugly duckling but it's all in the view.

Yeah I usually take a while and consider everything before buying, but
this one got me pretty excited.

The Viking doesn't look ugly to me, but just a simple black design which
is not necessarily a bad thing. :). Seems like a nice little bin.

One thing it does come with as a camera adapter for an Iphone that works quite well especially since these binos focus down to about 3ft.

I first looked at this bino in looking for a wide angle low power for close woodland spotting and completely missed the camera adapter.

Looking at the Meopta site it's not clear whether the MeoPix® iScoping Adapter is available in 32mm, as they state a 44mm version ??

I first looked at this bino in looking for a wide angle low power for close woodland spotting and completely missed the camera adapter.

Looking at the Meopta site it's not clear whether the MeoPix® iScoping Adapter is available in 32mm, as they state a 44mm version ??

Hello Samandang,

An adapter came with my binocular, but I do not have an iPhone, so I never thought to mention it.

Happy bird watching,

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back