• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscope question (1 Viewer)

Hi
I am new to the site, but not new to photography, I know what I am about to ask may be very vague but I would like to have an idea of basics first of all.
Hopefully one of the members can point me in the right direction.

I was a wedding photographer a while ago, but now I am nearing retirement
and I have always been interested in birds, I still have some equipment but the lenses are not long enough to photograph birds, hence my interest in digiscopes, which I have to say, I never new existed.

So, my question is, I have a Nikon D200 camera and a decent manfrotto tripod
what type of scope would be best for me, and how to use it, would be a great if someone out they could help me.

Regards

Dave

Hio Dave,

The type of scopes depending with how much budget you have. Digiscopers around the world are using Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, Kowa, Leica, Pentax etc.

If budget is not a problem, have a look at those brands above by visiting their website. You can see different type of scopes offered, digiscoping adapter etc. They have their own Digiscoping diagram, so you can choose which is the best for you.

I have used Nikon Fieldscope ED82 + DS30x eyepiece, Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 + FSA-
L2 and Swarovski STX 95 + TLS APO. Each equipments has its own strengths.

When choosing spotting scope, get the biggest objective lens e.g 80mm++ because you gain more shutter speed. It is totally different than using telephoto lens where we can shoot in wide open or stopped down because scope has fixed aperture around f9.5-f13

Hope these help.

Another option would be the Vortex line...they have some good ones and will take the Swaro eyepieces too...

best of luck, jim

Hi
Thanks for the reply, can I use the Nikon d200 with any of these scopes you mention and what lens would I us on camera I have 2 zooms 24mm-120mm and 80mm - 200mm something tells me that either would not fit with the camera attached to scope, please excuse my total ignorance, I have only just read about this digiscoping and it looks very interesting But I need tom know a great deal more, before in go ahead.

Regards

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back